Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
These are simply my opinions. I purchased all of these with my own money in an attempt to learn from other people's experiences in trap shooting. I'm also amassing a collection of all of the trapshooting DVD's and will post a review summary once I make it through them.

James Russell
Trapshooting Secrets and The Trapshooter's Bible ($35 each)

These books were tough to read. It isn't even clear as to where the first book starts, just sort of shotgun blasts you in the face with random paragraphs and the entire book is like this. The information is scatter brained at best with random bible verses and quotes that have no context to where they are shown. The second book seems slightly more organized, but not much better in content. I tried to find more info on James Russell and his trapshooting accomplishments and literally found nothing. If anyone knows any more about him I'd be curious to hear. I also found some of the information to be flat out horrible advice and contrary to everything else I have been told and read (canting the gun on purpose and foot positions). My advice, do not buy these. That being said, if anyone wants my brand new copies, pm me and I'll sell them for a massive discount. As others have mentioned, it is puzzling that he has Phil Kiner and numerous other world class shooters endorsing the book.
Summary: No-Bird

Rollin Oswald
Stock Fitter's Bible ($27)

This book has a great deal of information on getting your shotgun to fit you perfectly. Rollin is a great writer and I found myself enjoying the way he conveyed the information. Highly recommended and after reading this a couple times you should have no problem getting a proper shotgun fit without much help. He also covers mounting the gun, foot position, stance and patterning. A must have for a trapshooting book collection.
Summary: Dead Target

Dick Bennett
Trapshooting is a Game of Opposites ($120)

The price might scare you away, and I can only assume it is that high because this book is out of print and no one wants to give up their copy. I took more pages of notes from this book than all of the others that I read combined. Dick Bennett is a master teacher and a master trapshooter. I was absolutely blown away at how well he conveys the information and he was also a beast of a competitor from what I have read (passed away in 2014). He covers pretty much everything in detail and I can't recommend this book enough, although the price may deter many people.
Summary: Dead Target and Highly Recommended!

Frank Little
The Little Trapshooting Book ($68)

Just Ordered - will update when it arrives

Clyde Martz
Trapshooting Techniques ($10)

D. Lee Braun
Trapshooting with D. Lee Braun and the Remington Pros ($15)

Daro Handy
Professional Championship Trapshooting ($39)

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
For a while way back when "The Inner Game of Tennis" was all the rage. The mental aspects of competition were deemed transferrable to trapshooting. I learned one very important thing from that book: when practicing and all is going well, keep practicing! When practicing and it is going poorly, go home and stop reinforcing what doesnt work. Focus is the most important thing.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For a while way back when "The Inner Game of Tennis" was all the rage. The mental aspects of competition were deemed transferrable to trapshooting. I learned one very important thing from that book: when practicing and all is going well, keep practicing! When practicing and it is going poorly, go home and stop reinforcing what doesnt work. Focus is the most important thing.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Great advice! Just ordered it to check it out.

·
Registered
21,442 Posts
Be sure to play ALL the options if you take James Russell as your guide. That boy will make you rich. But you must master the on purpose cant he proposes for angle targets.

Reactions: trapshootinkid25

·
Registered
31,618 Posts
How much do you want to pay me to take the James Russell’s books?

Out of print and a little outdated, but still available and worthy of reading for historical aspects are

Score Better At Trap by Fred Missildine

Shotgun Digest edited by Jack Lewis, two editions, but not identical.

The Gun Digest of Trap & Skeet Shooting, Art Blatt

For current teachings, then add some videos to you library by Harrison, Kiner, Campbell and other greats.

Reactions: Kazer

·
Registered
21,442 Posts
How much do you want to pay me to take the James Russell’s books?
It, it, has SOME fuel value. Best saved for the dead of winter though. Warm your firewood up enough to catch.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The Remington book by D. Lee Braun is from the 60's; I had it years ago and still have the one he did on Skeet.
They are somewhat dated, but enjoyable reading.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I knew James Russel, a very nice man, but not a very good trapshooter. He use to carry his little dog around with him to various shoots. He also took pictures at trap shoots and sent them in to Trap and Field. He was a good technical writer and went around to various shots in California and maybe other areas and asked shooters their opinions on various aspects of shooting. Eventually, he put together enough information to write a couple of books. He took is own life maybe 22+years ago as I recall.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I will never understand why they did not reprint "trapshooting is a game opposites". I too thought it was the best book on trapshooting I have ever read. Shotgun Sports was the original publisher . I asked them to produce more but they wont .

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will never understand why they did not reprint "trapshooting is a game opposites". I too thought it was the best book on trapshooting I have ever read. Shotgun Sports was the original publisher . I asked them to produce more but they wont .
I'm assuming they own the rights to it and could reprint it if they desired. Maybe it didn't do sell well initially, but it is an amazing book.

·
Registered
39 Posts
These are simply my opinions. I purchased all of these with my own money in an attempt to learn from other people's experiences in trap shooting. I'm also amassing a collection of all of the trapshooting DVD's and will post a review summary once I make it through them.

James Russell
Trapshooting Secrets and The Trapshooter's Bible ($35 each)

These books were tough to read. It isn't even clear as to where the first book starts, just sort of shotgun blasts you in the face with random paragraphs and the entire book is like this. The information is scatter brained at best with random bible verses and quotes that have no context to where they are shown. The second book seems slightly more organized, but not much better in content. I tried to find more info on James Russell and his trapshooting accomplishments and literally found nothing. If anyone knows any more about him I'd be curious to hear. I also found some of the information to be flat out horrible advice and contrary to everything else I have been told and read (canting the gun on purpose and foot positions). My advice, do not buy these. That being said, if anyone wants my brand new copies, pm me and I'll sell them for a massive discount. As others have mentioned, it is puzzling that he has Phil Kiner and numerous other world class shooters endorsing the book.
Summary: No-Bird

Rollin Oswald
Stock Fitter's Bible ($27)

This book has a great deal of information on getting your shotgun to fit you perfectly. Rollin is a great writer and I found myself enjoying the way he conveyed the information. Highly recommended and after reading this a couple times you should have no problem getting a proper shotgun fit without much help. He also covers mounting the gun, foot position, stance and patterning. A must have for a trapshooting book collection.
Summary: Dead Target

Dick Bennett
Trapshooting is a Game of Opposites ($120)

The price might scare you away, and I can only assume it is that high because this book is out of print and no one wants to give up their copy. I took more pages of notes from this book than all of the others that I read combined. Dick Bennett is a master teacher and a master trapshooter. I was absolutely blown away at how well he conveys the information and he was also a beast of a competitor from what I have read (passed away in 2014). He covers pretty much everything in detail and I can't recommend this book enough, although the price may deter many people.
Summary: Dead Target and Highly Recommended!

Frank Little
The Little Trapshooting Book ($68)

Clyde Martz
Trapshooting Techniques ($10)

D. Lee Braun
Trapshooting with D. Lee Braun and the Remington Pros ($15)

Daro Handy
Professional Championship Trapshooting ($39)

Good thread. This is why I come to this site, which I only discovered a few months ago. I'm a fairly new trap shooter, and the learning curve is large.

I purchased a digital copy of Dick Bennett's book last December for $15 or $30 (I don't remember, sorry) from Shotgunsportsmagazine.com.

The book is very good, and covers trap from A to Z. Dick only endorses two-eyed shooting, so be prepared you one-eyed shooters. It helped me since I have a vision problem w/ my dominant eye, and had to change to 2-eyed. He even covers this ground since he had an eye injury as a child.

The only problem w/ the digital book is you cannot print any pages and must return to the digital text if you want to revisit something. It's 129 pages, and very good.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Premium Member
5,850 Posts
Pretty amazing what some of these books are bringing in price today.

I remember both Little's and Bennett's books at Shotgun Sports site at the old Grand for $5.

Can't imagine Russell's even being sold for any price.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts