Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So has anyone been down this road. If so how long did it take to get back to shooting.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Recently had it done. May 5, Fused L3, L4 & L5. Lady surgeon, 6 1/2 hrs, finished at 11:00 PM, went home the second day. Four days on strong pills then none. 12 weeks in a brace, got released Aug 1, drove 10 hours to Sparta on Aug 2, shot 100 targets per day the first 3 days then 200 per day the remainder of the shoot. Played some tennis in the 15th week.
Still have a little soreness in my lower back where the muscles atrophied from wearing the brace. No more zingers or leg numbness (yahoo).
Two titanium rods and 5 screws. If you have it done, check with other patients that has used the surgeon you're considering. LISTEN TO POST SURGERY INSTRUCTIONS !!! No lifting over 5 lbs for 12 weeks, walk, walk, walk. Jim

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
I had my lower back repaired in March. Waited four weeks and started shooting again. But, to be frank it's still some what painful. But, it's getting better all the time and a little Blue Emu works wonders. Arthritis is the culprit, not much the Doc could do about that condition.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Had back surgery 10 years ago. Was back to pretty much normal activity in 90 days. I had lost 50% of the strength in my left leg. Got all of it back after the surgery or most of it to where there is no noticeable difference between right and left. Was home within 24 hours and walking around the block same day. Lots of walking, rest, and don't do anything stupid just because you feel good.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Depends on what your specific injury is. Mine was like DR's above. Surgery one day, home the next, and NO PAIN! Others are more intrusive, and require a lot more work and time. Above all, follow your doctors orders, no matter how good you feel. If he tells you to stay down, STAY DOWN! If he tells you to get up and go, GET UP AND GO! Every case is different, your case will be unique to at least some degree. Good luck! Wes

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Asking how long it takes to get back to shooting is a complete waste of time. You are not any of us. You do not have identical spines as us nor do you heal like us. The answer is whatever YOUR neurosurgeon says. Yes, I said neurosurgeon. Having anyone other than a neurosurgeon work on your back is insane. They specialize in the brain and spine issues. Age and a persons overall health going into the surgery also plays a huge part on how fast the recovery will be.
I have had (3) major back surgeries and every one of them was different. The second of the three I spent (8) stinking days in the Neuro unit laying flat on my back with no pillow and not allowed to roll on my side for 6 of those days. It was half a year before I was able to even think about shooting a shotgun. The easiest of the three surgeries, I was in the hospital for 3 days and still not allowed to shoot for 4 months. I still have lingering pain along with 8 titanium screws and 2 titanium rods. I was faced with the possibility of a wheelchair so the decision as to whether or not I should have the surgeries was pretty simple for me. Ultimately I ended up with L3, L4, L5, S1 fused.

X-Ray after second surgery.
image.jpeg

·
Premium Member
18,225 Posts
I had to wait about 5 months on my last one, Nov. 2014. At 4 months, I started mounting my gun up and did that for awhile and then I would put all my gear on and do the same thing. It takes awhile. Be careful and don't over do. Been there done that. Good luck. Charlie

Reactions: grntitan

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I've had four back surgeries , laid in bed for 4 years. Finally had a pain stimulator installed and now shoot almost every week end. Never without pain when I shoot but will never stop. Just have fun and don't worry about the score.Ron

·
Registered
244 Posts
Aforementioned everybody will have a different experience as our bodies are all different.

For me, I have had a total of 3 in the last year. The first two were discectomies; Aug 2015 & Dec 2015. I snuck one registered shoot in before my Dec surgery & didn't do too well but I couldn't stand it anymore after shooting weekly to shooting not at all in 4 months.

My last surgery was the end of April of this year. Double fusion of L4-L5 & L5-S1. Filled me full of titanium plates, screws, & mesh bone grafts. Was laid up in the hospital for about a week post-surgery. Mainly due to pain & also monitoring (I'm Type 1 diabetic). My doctor finally cleared me to go back to work last week & shoot again. So of course, I went to the range the same day :) Didn't shoot too well, only made it thru 75 targets & the pain escalated. It was nice to get out there again at least. May try a registered shoot this weekend depending on how I feel.

I still have quite a bit of pain & numbness (not nearly what I experienced before surgery) because of permanent nerve damage in my legs & left arm/hand because of my ruptured discs pressing on my spinal cord for so long...which means I have numbness in my legs as well as half my left hand. Also, still have physical therapy 2x/week to help build muscle back up. I had quite a bit of hematoma built up after the last surgery as well as a ton of scar tissue. In addition, I use a bone-growth stimulator belt (being a "high-risk" patient because of my diabetes), TENS unit, pain medication, & muscle relaxers daily. I also wear my back brace when shooting just for a little extra stability.

So as you can see, there's quite a bit of differences in everyone's experiences. Bottom line...follow your doctor's orders.

Good luck & Happy Shooting!
-Larry, Founder
www.ClaysForACure.org
Clays for a Cure | Facebook

·
Registered
196 Posts
I've never had back surgery but I had open stomach surgery and it took me about a year to get back to full motion. I was bed ridden for 3 months and went from 220lbs til 135lbs almost 3 years later I'm back to normal

1 - 11 of 11 Posts