Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
9,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:
In my area new managers and owners of so called trap shooting only gun clubs have now included the addition of sporting clays as well as other shooting events in an never ending search for added income.

I was looking forward to shooting my local club's club championship in the near future. In years past, to be club champion you shot at 50 16 yard targets.

Today, I received an email from the above mentioned club stating that they are now making some changes for this yearly shoot. To qualify for the club champion you now have to shoot 50 16 yard targets, 50 handicap targets, and 50 sporting clay targets.

To my way of thinking, they have just eliminated a lot of trapshooters from participating in the club championship shoot.

Would you shoot a club championship now that shooting sporting clays is mandatory in order to qualify for being the club champion?
Steve Balistreri
Wauwatosa Wisconsin

·
Registered
977 Posts
You don't have to participate in all three events do you? I hope they offer individual event champs and class places ABCD, as well as an HOA. That's they way my old club used to do it.

Are they really shooting sporting clays or just 5 Stand?

·
Registered
10,204 Posts
Yes Absolutely!!! Sporting Clays is the only Clay Target game of the the 3 that is still growing. Both Trap and Skeet are slowly disappearing in most parts of the US. Your lucky 2 of the 3 games/choices at your club are Trap!!! For a True Championship----I would make it 50 Singles, 50 Skeet, 50 Sporting Clays for high of 150 targets. Its the only way to keep it fair for all 3 types of shooters. break em all Jeff

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
At my club before 5 stand was opened they had tried the "Iron Man" shoot. 25 16yd Trap, 25 Skeet, and 50 Trap Doubles... It only lasted 2 years because it was harder to find someone to manage the shoot that shooters. It still gives me bragging rights that I won the first one as there ALWAYS is a lot of good fun telling one group is easier than the others.... Certain descriptive words have been left out for the meek....lol

·
Banned
5,302 Posts
Just because many games use a shotgun doesn't make them attractive to all shooters. You may as well throw in some 5 stand, wobble trap, annies, protections and card shooting.

Personally, I am a trap shooter and have little interest in shooting the other shotgun disciplines just as I have little interest in competitive pistol or rifle shooting.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Yes Absolutely!!! Sporting Clays is the only Clay Target game of the the 3 that is still growing. Both Trap and Skeet are slowly disappearing in most parts of the US.
Why are trap shooter afraid to shot another shotgun sport??
I have worked very hard to make myself a good all around shooter. I'm not afraid to take on any clay target challenge. I might not win, but you'll know I was there!!!

·
Registered
924 Posts
Steve,
Yes, I would certainly shoot a Club Championship as you described it. In fact, that's the way our club does it (located in CT).
25 ea of; 16 yd trap, skeet, sporting, 5-stand, & American Skeet total of 125 birds. I'd be bored at a "trap only" club .... I like to shoot all kinds of targets.

·
Registered
484 Posts
It sounds fair I shoot at a club that shoot a 100 bird shoot 25 wobble trap 25 16yd trap 25 skeet 25 bunker it's a lot of fun! I like to shoot any clay target sport!!! Zack H

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
We had an Iron Man shoot at our club. It was 400 ATA targets in a day. You could mix singles and HC any way you wanted.
Ours was done to get the mix of the different disciplines at our club together. The Skeet shooters where confident about running the Skeet as the Trap shooters where sure they would all break 25 at the 16. It was a lot of fun and good teasing . NO One would of wanted to shoot 400 targets because it would of delayed the Bar B Que and beer.lol

·
Registered
9,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have always been a trapshooter. I do not own a so called sporting clays gun. I wish the club a good turn out, but I will not shoot the club championship
Steve

·
Registered
9,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sportshot:
You can not qualify to be named club champion unless you shoot all three events. They are shooting sporting clays, not 5 stand.
Steve

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
You don't have to participate in all three events do you? I hope they offer individual event champs and class places ABCD, as well as an HOA. That's they way my old club used to do it.

Are they really shooting sporting clays or just 5 Stand?
Give everyone a trophy and end the chaos

Why are trap shooter afraid to shot another shotgun sport??
Because they can't shoot perfect scores

I don't think they eliminated shooters they are introducing them to the other sports that are offered. If you don't participate, it is your loss because you eliminated yourself. Don't be afraid of change Steve. If a club does not evolve to include other shooting sports (one of our local clubs now has archery as well) it will eventually become a roller skating rink.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts