Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering joining a trap league this spring. I have a 20 gauge Tri star now that has been good so far. What would be an upgrade in 20 gauge? I'm scared of the recoil in a 12 to be honest. Just looking for suggestions. This is my first post so please excuse any errors or dumb things on my part.

·
Administrator
8,663 Posts
I'm considering joining a trap league this spring. I have a 20 gauge Tri star now that has been good so far. What would be an upgrade in 20 gauge? I'm scared of the recoil in a 12 to be honest. Just looking for suggestions. This is my first post so please excuse any errors or dumb things on my part.
Welcome to Trapshooters.com ! you will get a lot of information to sift thru with a lot of opinions.

1. A quality shotgun set up to fit you properly using 1 oz, of 8s at 1150 FPS in a 12 ga. will be very low in the recoil department.

2.There are a lot of options in shotguns depending on your budget. There are companies that are making a better effort to provide products for lady and youth shooters.

3.Are you open to options in a semi auto? There are a lot of good choices and definitely light weight low recoil models out there.

·
Premium Member
3,145 Posts
Tri-Stars are pretty much 'bottom shelf' and 20ga ain't that great for trap.
Any 12ga 1100 with light loads would kick less (if yours is an O/U) and thousands of great scores have been shot with 1100s !

*** came back to add that I am NOT trying to knock your current set-up!***

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At this point I'm open to anything. I do not want to spend a ton of cash though. Yes, a Tri star o/u is what I have. What would be a good gas operated less recoil 12 gauge then?

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
Opinions on Remington 1100 competition?
It has the features needed that are normally found on more expensive Trap guns. With regular cleaning and maintenance, they are very reliable and durable. I got mine last year after getting back into Trap two years ago, and I wish they'd have made these back in '82 when I bought my 870 Wingmaster. As Cubdriver mentions, the Beretta a400 Parallel Target is excellent also, though new is about $700 more MSRP.

·
Premium Member
6,025 Posts
Your profile says your a lady. This will limit you most likely being able to try various guns at your local club.

Most women do to conformation require shorter lengths of pull (is stock length). Off the shelf, a BT99 Micro would possibly be a good choice if fitted to you on the top side. A Beretta 3901 RL which is a semi auto would be another good choice in an off shelf type gun. Both of these are in 12ga.

The Remington 1100 is always a good choice. The Competition model some have suggested has a synthetic stock that IAM not sure the length could be reduced to fit you properly although it has the capability to fit all the other requirements. Possibly finding a good used 1100 and having an adjustable comb installed and length adjusted to fit you maybe a better alternative. However, there are wood stocked 1100's on the used market with adjustability having already been performed.

There are several Beretta model autoloaders that would also make excellent candidates with proper stock modifications.

To this point I've been suggesting 12ga guns. These with a low velocity (1200fps or less) one ounce load and recoil should be acceptable for you with a descent fitted gun.

Alot will depend on your upper body strength when choosing a gun too. The Beretta autos or BT99 will be less fatiguing to shoot multiple rounds with than an 1100.

If you would rather stick with a 20ga for now, a Remington 1100LT or a Beretta uto loader would be good candidates. You can have a 12ga trap stock adjusted to fit a Remington 20ga or buy a monte carlo stock for I believe 742, 760 and such rifle which will fit right in the 1100 LT 20 which may give it an edge over the Beretta's.

Just some quick ideas for you.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Beretta 390 sporting can be found for $600 to $700 2 on Jaquas web site with 1oz loads is probably less recoil then ur 20 ga. Good luck zack h

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
For a local league try your 20 gauge if you are confident and shoot it well. Many will recommend going to a 12 gauge, then recommend a light load. Your 20 gauge is probably throwing 7/8 ounce loads ,which is what International Trap requires. You can always upgrade later.

·
Registered
258 Posts
My daughter has been shooting for several years. Finding a 12 gauge solution was a bit tricky due to her 5'1", 100 pound frame. She now shoots a Beretta A400 reduced length target 12 ga, and shoots 1 ounce 1180 fps target loads for everything. The recoil is not a problem for her, and the gun works really well. An 1100 would be great as well if you can get it to fit.

·
Registered
684 Posts
My wife shoots with a Rem 11-87 sporting clays. She's about 5'8" for what its worth. She's had it for 10 years and is very happy with it.
A sporting clays gun will tend to have a short stock (length of pull). They also will shoot flatter than a dedicated trap gun, which is more like what you're shooting now. These are durable semi-autos that have been around forever and are easily found on the used market. Stick with 1 oz target loads (sub-1200 fps) to start, and you'll have no problems with recoil.

In my wife's case, since she uses the gun just for trap, we added a Cheek Eez pad on the comb to raise the pattern just a bit.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm torn between the Remington 1100 Competition and the Browning BT99 adjustable butt plate and comb. And no, I don't have the money for both.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Good news is the 1100 and the BT99 are both very common on the trap field so finding a variation of either to try out wouldn't be too hard. If you are recoil sensitive, the 1100 is hard to beat and will probably have less felt recoil than what you are currently shooting.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good news is the 1100 and the BT99 are both very common on the trap field so finding a variation of either to try out wouldn't be too hard. If you are recoil sensitive, the 1100 is hard to beat and will probably have less felt recoil than what you are currently shooting.
I am sort of afraid of the recoil so yeah, the Remington might be the better choice. What are the differences in the two other than barrel sizes?

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Almost everything is different. With the 1100 semi auto, a shorter barrel will seem several inches longer than the BT99. This is due to the action, on the BT99 the reciever is much shorter.
Recoil will be much less in the 1100 because part of the energy from the fired round is used to cycle the action.
But the BT99 has several stock sizes to choose from. Besides the standard, there is the Midas, and the Micro Midas.
Best of luck choosing.
Try and shoot either or both if at all possible.

1 - 20 of 188 Posts