Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone know the actual width of the trap houses @ the Silver Dollar & the Cardinal Center? According to the current ATA rule book-kit is suggested that all trap houses constructed after 2003-be between 7' 6"- 9'6" wide. I was shooting @ the Dollar the other day & their houses looked way less than 7' . If I knew the actual width of traphouse, I could make a real adjustment when I'm not shooting @ my home club.

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
151 Posts
Cardinal Center houses are 9', Grand at Sparta 9'2" NC Bostic 7'91/2" haven't measured silver dollar

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
These numbers are important, lets say you hold on the outer corner @ the Cardinal or the Grand--you would have to hold 1 foot out @ Bostic to have the same move to the target.

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
These numbers are important, lets say you hold on the outer corner @ the Cardinal or the Grand--you would have to hold 1 foot out @ Bostic to have the same move to the target.

Phil Berkowitz
Realistically, a 12 " hold difference on the house, would translate to about 1/4" of gun movement. Do you really think that would make a difference?

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, 1/4" of gun movement @ 32 yds is enough to cause a loss. The big thing for me is to see the target clearly as it leaves the house--If I chase a streak-its lost-also I'm still a one eyed shooter-hold point for me is very important.

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
151 Posts
Actually you should be looking in a foot from the corners at the grand and cardinal has nothing to do with gun movement

·
Registered
151 Posts
Don't let the above get out everybody thinks it's where you hold but really it's where you look, one eye or two.
In fact one of the best practices is 2 right 2 left and last one in the middle from each post, but look where you're supposed to. You can do it anytime without adjusting the trap.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Good experienced shooters will make any adjustment necessary to break targets in varying conditions.
I'd never noticed the difference in trap house sizes until I took a lesson from Harlan Campbell. Just one more thing to try and block thinking about when shooting.
Not to over simplfy.......but I try to shoot trap like a Windows program.....don't think, just point and click. Scores are usually better when not "over thinking" every little minute detail.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
If you can't see the difference between a 7' house and a 9' house... maybe you need new glasses... LOL

I've found that when I go to a club I've not been to before.. simply standing behind a squad and watching targets coming out tells me much of what I need to know.. Knowing the measurement down to the inch isn't going to change what my eyes can see about how and where the birds are coming out of the house.

If you really want to throw a twist at unknowing shooters... tell them how much difference it makes on just how the machine is set in the house..

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jerry, I want to know--because its part of my set up on stations 1 & 2--station 3 6"left of center--stations 4& 5 2" right of center.

Several of my coaches have said its important- Hope Elizabeth & you are both healthy these days & she has that thing beat.

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
FlaLagarto,
I did get glasses. I was watching the bird not the building it was coming out of. Several clubs we shoot at up here in Georgia have varing widths and courses of cinder block showing on the back side. As Phil pointed out, Bostic NC is a little different as well. Hard to find 2 clubs exactly alike these days.

·
Registered
191 Posts
A wider house will make the bird appear "late", like a "slow pull", because the target has to move farther to be visible to the shooter, after he calls for it.

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
When I think of wide houses I think of the Spokane Gun Club.
And there have been a ton of great scores shot there.

Get to your trap a bit early watch some targets.
Figure out where you will hold your gun and where you are going to look.

It varies from trap to trap and club to club.

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanx- I'll drop by-I'm keeping a 25' tape in my vehicle will measure--

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
It never ceases to amaze me the things that shooters find to worry about. THIS CRAP DOESN'T MATTER!

When you worry about such insignificant things, you are already defeated. Go to your hold point and look point, CLEAR YOUR MIND, call for the target, focus on it, make a good move and pull the trigger. Forget the rest!!!

·
Administrator
8,659 Posts
I spent a fair amount of time with Nora Ross as she has done about 8 days of clinics at our local club and the first time she came out one of the first things that she asked me for was a tape measure so she could get the specifics on our trap houses and keep them on record as she felt it was important. From my understanding she has the measurements of pretty much all the clubs houses that she does clinics at.I have learned a lot from Nora and if she feels it is important then it is definitely something I should be paying attention to also ;)

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I took a clinic from Nora and others--this is why I started this thread. I noticed a significant difference from the houses @ the Dollar. Really would love to know the actually length without driving 86 miles to find it out. Might just e-mail Nora.

Phil Berkowitz

1 - 20 of 36 Posts