Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please explain this to me....Say i have a sight picture with a snowman with the center bead and the front and my gun shoots flat. If i raise the comb so the gun shoots higher I lose the snow man and now have say an inch between the beads. How do you make sure your set up is the same every time you raise the gun to your cheek? I like to know im exactly the same everytime but with space between the beads it seems more like a guess. any thoughts considering I don't have and adjustable rib?

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
You should be able to feel when the gun is in the pocket of your shoulder. I suppose you could use a foam earplug, and squeeze it between the comb and stock so it touches your ear,or cheek

·
Super Moderator
3,241 Posts
Please explain this to me....Say i have a sight picture with a snowman with the center bead and the front and my gun shoots flat. If i raise the comb so the gun shoots higher I lose the snow man and now have say an inch between the beads. How do you make sure your set up is the same every time you raise the gun to your cheek? I like to know im exactly the same everytime but with space between the beads it seems more like a guess. any thoughts considering I don't have and adjustable rib?
Once the gun fits you correctly, practice mounting the gun with your eyes closed. When you open your eyes the beads should be aligned everytime, and don't worry about the space between the beads because once you are comfortable mounting the gun correctly you are going to stop looking at the beads when you mount the gun.
You have to break yourself of looking at the beads when you mount to be successful. Look at the target and if the gun fits properly you will break the target.
Some people see the bead in their peripheral vision, including me, some shoot with no bead on the gun or black it out. Some people look at the bead and typically stop the gun at that point resulting in a loss.
The good news is all this gun mounting at home is free, you just have to do it.

·
Premium Member
5,855 Posts
If the center bead is threaded, just back it out enough to give you the sight picture you desire. If not have a gunsmith thread you a center bead and do the same. You'll probably have to locktite it to keep it there as you'll have limited fine threads to hold it.

They also make different size center beads and thus you could install a larger one which would give you more height.

You could call Phillips Gunsmithing and he could build you a ramp.

Now that I've answered your question, take that center bead out and quit looking at it. If your using it to mount your gun I guarantee you that you'll look back at it when there's a target in the air. Not everytime but rather when one gets out on you that you didn't get good recognition on immediately, when lighting is poor, bad background or when your breaking a score.

·
Registered
194 Posts
How about the appropriate length of white tape on the rib behind your front bead so that you see your rear bead touching it when you mount the gun?
Thinking out loud of a solution

Reactions: rbdjr

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
If the center bead is threaded, just back it out enough to give you the sight picture you desire. If not have a gunsmith thread you a center bead and do the same. You'll probably have to locktite it to keep it there as you'll have limited fine threads to hold it.

They also make different size center beads and thus you could install a larger one which would give you more height.

You could call Phillips Gunsmithing and he could build you a ramp.

Now that I've answered your question, take that center bead out and quit looking at it. If your using it to mount your gun I guarantee you that you'll look back at it when there's a target in the air. Not everytime but rather when one gets out on you that you didn't get good recognition on immediately, when lighting is poor, bad background or when your breaking a score.
Well said. I'm a little different and need the beads touching, so do what P-master said or move the bead.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Make this in what ever thickness you need. Drill a hole in the bottom to go over the original bead if you don't want to remove it. Stick it on with 2 way tape or silicone.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,210 Posts
I am sure you will get lots of good advice here -
Long years ago, a shooting buddy, who was very good by the way, told me that on days when he was shooting very good and seeing targets well, he never looked down at the gun - ever.
I have found that as I aged, if after mounting, I glanced down to see my bead alignment, and started moving my eyes out, it was a slow process and I would often call for the target before my eyes had retuned to soft focus "out there" --- that most always resulted (results) in a lost target.
I am not a great shooter, but on days when I am shooting pretty good I find that I put my eyes "out there", mount the gun and never glance down at it.
Also - my set up, if I did glance down I could probably see almost the entire rib...……. so don't sweat the beads --- if that middle bead having to be a figure 8 snowman bothers you, take it off.
Your mileage may vary

·
Registered
124 Posts
in theory once your gun is set up to shoot where you're looking you don't need the beads at all.
personally, i like having the reference point and both my guns (mx8 & cxt) are set up so that a proper mount gives me fig8 / snowman. case in point, a few weeks back the front bead broke off my cxt and it def impacted my scores, negatively - could have been mental more than anything but it was also a good opportunity to practice consistent mounting and making sure the mount felt right w/o having the visual to verify.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I am brand new at this and learning every day. Thanks to some free Gil Ash YouTube videos, I now look at the bead ONCE, and then never see it again for the entire set/round. His theory (paraphrased) is "If your eyes are clearly looking at the target, your gun will follow". I hope I didn't mess that up too much. It seems to be working for this OLD, but New shooter.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks to everyone who responded so far. I am very happy that there seem to be some good options no matter if I decide to keep the center bead or not. I personally like to look down the barrel to make sure my beads are straight and in the snowman configuration. After that I never look back down. It just makes me feel like I am starting from the same position every time. I also hope that one day I will feel comfortable enough to not worry about that and I can just mount the gun and know its correct.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Once the gun fits you correctly, practice mounting the gun with your eyes closed. When you open your eyes the beads should be aligned everytime, and don't worry about the space between the beads because once you are comfortable mounting the gun correctly you are going to stop looking at the beads when you mount the gun.
This is the right way. Once the gun fits you, and your gun mount is consistent, the beads don't matter at all. Your eyes should be focused downrange anyway, not on the beads.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
I dont even know if the mid bead is still on any of my guns. I suppose you could use one to see if both beads line up straight. But I dont think it is worth checking the space between them before each shot. What makes you think it is going to stay exactly that way once you start tracking a target and move to break it?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
284 Posts
Where can you buy the front bead? This is the one closest to the shooter correct? I have several guns missing them. Brownells doesn't show much on them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts