Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My trap shooting buddy owes me some money and wants me to take this old single barrel instead of cash. It is made by the Three barrel Gun Company of Wheeling West Virginia. He says it is a C grade with 32' ribbed barrel.The gun has no blueing left it is mostly brown. Someone has added a vented recoil pad. I don't think it would be safe to shoot. Does anyone know if it has any value.(no guesses please) I may have to take, he works for a automobile plant supplier. My friends said this forum was the place to find out about trap guns.
Thanks, Tom Dulin

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This gun is not being shot. I've read everything on the net. Also was sent copy of info in Frank Conley book. I need value info from someome who has seen them sell.
Tom

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
The company in question made good quality drillings, one of about the only American companies that did so. A drilling from them is quite valuable but I've not seen a trap gun. Is the barrel damascus? The added pad would hurt a lot on a vintage gun. I'll do some research.

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
This is a very rare trap gun. Only 181 were made between 1908 and 1910. It is pictured in The American Single Barrel Trap Gun book by Frank Conley on page 201, 202 and 203 and mentioned on page 200. HMB

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have a friend that owns one and was shooting it frequently. He has not been active at the trap club lately so not sure if he is still shooting it out not. He never had any problems.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To; Bill Grill. The Ithaca Victory model we talked about is serial # V290991. It has a 34" vent rib barrel.Original chamber length was 2 5/8",Bore .726 , choke .697 . Enjoyed the phone call. Tom

·
Premium Member
3,905 Posts
Tom, Your victory grade is a flues model and was made in 1918. Ithaca only advertised the victory grade with 32" barrel so the 34" is a rarer gun.
Bill

·
Registered
47 Posts
Tom,

I really can't give you an estimate on what it would sell for. You would have to find someone interested in it and it will sell for what he wants to pay for it. I had one years ago that I inherited from my grandfather. It was a C grade with a 30" barrel but it was literally falling apart. I contacted Frank Conley, sent the gun to him because he had never seen a C grade and wanted to take pictures of it in case he ever updated his book. Frank recommended Maurice Mudges, a gunsmith in NY state who could restore it. I did so and when I got it back, we shot a few shells through it and I then donated it to the Trapshooting Hall of Fame Museum. This was probably in the late 80's. I donated it with the stipulation that they display it, which of course they never did. I visited the gun at the HOF museum at the last Grand held in Vandalia.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.