Trapshooters Forum banner

Trap Doubles

4880 Views 48 Replies 37 Participants Last post by  Fred Flintstone
I think I'd like to venture into the DOUBLE TRAP arena but all of my experience has been singles and caps.

My trap guns are TM1s with a release trigger and a Stock Lock.

Do you think it would be better to replace my SBTs with a COMBO or buy a dedicated gun for doubles?

What trigger configuration makes the most sense - release/release or release/pull?

No, I'm not loaded with excess cash. For now, let's put cost aside in favor of defining an area to start searching.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

· Premium Member
3,671 Posts
Before you $pend buck$ on getting a double$ gun, try shooting doubles for a season to see if you like it. Borrow or buy a moderately priced o/u or appropriate auto first.
I tried a nice sporting clays Browning 425, then bought a set of barrels fitted to my Perazzi sbt using my insulin budget $$. Found doubles were NOT FUN for me (anyway). Squads seemed to be trying to see how ridiculously FAST they could shoot a round to befuddle the scorer and burn through 100 shells in record time.
Gave the 425 to my son & sold Perazzi barrel for even money...never regretted it. YMMV

· Premium Member
Perazzi MX2000 34” unsingle 0.031/34” Wilkinson o/u with a prosoft
1,691 Posts
Y’all are crazy. Doubles is the best money you’ll ever spend. Singles for glory, caps for money, doubles for fun.

I’m by no means a great doubles shooter. But I’ve popped a good score on occasion. I honestly have more doubles trophies than any other. Shoot them. Enjoy them.

If you are shooting your singles and caps well, get a dedicated doubles gun. If you have room to improve, then consider a combo. The benefit of a combo is one stock, one fit, one set up (assuming barrel regulation is on). I have shot a combo for 18 years and wouldn’t change it…

· Premium Member
5,256 Posts
For God`s sake pay no heed to these Nay Sayers . Doubles are FUN . I have more registered Dbls than these two Negative Nellies have registered targets combined . They are the most fun of the three events . Try borrowing an O/U or semi-auto and shoot 100 dbls to see if you like them before spending any cash for a new gun .

· Registered
3,055 Posts
I think that Leo Harrison III said that you shoot Singles for the glory, Handicap for the money and Doubles for fun.

I do believe that. I enjoy shooting Doubles. By the way I am Hawaii's Doubles Champion this year, won it yesterday.

I had a Beretta 682 combo. At our small state shoot the 2nd barrel would not fire. So now I have Joel Etchens Beretta 687 Trap guns. An unsingle and an over/under. The barrels interchange so each is a back up for the other.

If you can afford it get 2 guns.

Jason

· Registered
732 Posts
I think I'd like to venture into the DOUBLE TRAP arena but all of my experience has been singles and caps.

Do you think it would be better to replace my SBTs with a COMBO or buy a dedicated gun for doubles?

What trigger configuration makes the most sense - release/release or release/pull?

No, I'm not loaded with excess cash. For now, let's put cost aside in favor of defining an area to start searching.

· Registered
732 Posts
I will stick to the trigger question. If you are shooting a release because of flinching problems in Singles/Caps, then I would suggest a double release. There will be a learning curve, but you will catch on. Many shooters start with a release/pull, but for most they end up with a double release. The flinch does not go away on the second shot with the r/p. Now I know that some will pipe in and say that they have no problem with a release/pull, but they represent a small percentage and some of that group is deluding themselves. Just my opinion.
JEB

· Registered
2,035 Posts
For God`s sake pay no heed to these Nay Sayers . Doubles are FUN . I have more registered Dbls than these two Negative Nellies have registered targets combined . They are the most fun of the three events . Try borrowing an O/U or semi-auto and shoot 100 dbls to see if you like them before spending any cash for a new gun .
This is what it looks like when a crack dealer gives pharmaceutical advice.

· Registered
1,300 Posts
Doubles are fun and you really don't have to be good at it to enjoy it, there is no time for boredom when your shooting doubles, borrow a buddies gun and have a go at it before you invest a bunch of money in a dedicated doubles gun, we had a new shooter last week that shot his first round of doubles, after he said man that's a hoot lets go again, he's hooked now and headed to his 1st registered shoot this weekend.

· Registered
6,262 Posts
Unless you plan on gunning for HOA at ATA shoots or are serious about shooting doubles, try someone elses gun, or rent one from your club, if possible. You may find you don't like shooting it, or you may love it, but I wouldn't buy a gun right off for it in your situation.

I tried doubles years ago, and while I shot decent scores, I shot it wrong, according to the experts. I shot the right side bird first from all the stations. Nobody told me otherwise beforehand, and it worked, but I went back to singles and caps. If I do get a wild hair up, I have my 1100 Competition.

· Premium Member
8,307 Posts

For gosh sakes, listen to the kid and Okie.
You'll realize instantly what you've been missing and will be amazed at how much fun your new game is.

Keep your TM1. Look for a Comp I, MX8, Browning Lightning, and such for a nice compliment to your TM I

Double release. Don't consider release/pull

· Registered
36,910 Posts
There are some who believe doubles sharpens your skills and makes singles /handicap easier. After years of buying SBTs, combos and over and unders, I believe it wise invest in a quality O/U, you can shoot all US trap and then other disciplines if you have a mind to. You do not have to break the bank, a used Remington 3200, Kreighoff 32 or a K80, Perazzi MX8, Beretta, etc. will work just fine.

· Registered
2,615 Posts
Do it like a lot of trapshooters do. Sell or trade off the gun you have that you can shoot and buy something else that someone told you was good. Then get a gun you can't hit anything with and eventually buy back your original gun at twice the price. Actually a good O/U would work for everything but you should try one first (especially the double release trigger).

· Premium Member
6,306 Posts
If you have good hand eye quardination you should shoot some doubles on the practice trap with an A class or better shooter by your side helping with foot position and hold points.
If you can drop two quail on a rise you can shoot doubles.
If you can get your average up to 90% the learning curve accelerates.
You can buy a good gun and sell it if you don't like it.
Henry
Coordination

· Premium Member
BT99
262 Posts
I hear a bit of "Come on in, the water's fine!" in some responses!
Think of it this way - If you shoot doubles and hit half, you can say you shot 25 and not elaborate.
I shoot them with a Browning 16ga Grand Lighting, perhaps the only 'new' gun in the safe (most of mine have been in many hands), purchased partly for this purpose.

· Premium Member
1,277 Posts
I'm sure you would enjoy doubles and also enjoy getting another gun. My frugal suggestion would be to buy an O/U and dedicate it to doubles, If money were no object, I'd get a Beretta DT-11 combo or a Perazzi High Tech combo. Remember, these are my suggestions. Kolar, Kreighioff, Browning, Blaser, etc. are also great guns, but I have a thing for the Italian manufacturers. Perhaps you might want to wait a bit though. Unless you have a lot of shotgun shells or components, it might be better to hold off for a while.

· Registered
920 Posts
I'm still learning how to shoot singles and sure don't need to pile on top of that. That said early in my Trap shooting experience I was out with some local club members and they were shooting doubles so I swapped over to my non trap double barrel and gave it a go. I found the whole experience daunting, too fast, expensive and way out of my comfort zone.

That was in 2008 and I'm still not ready for doubles. Truth be known I'm still not ready for singles but that is a fight I'm willing to keep taking on. My biggest problem is letting life and other priorities interfere with getting out to the field. Can't get good at something doing it once or twice every year.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.