Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shot a couple of rounds of doubles with the ShotKam.

In this session I was holding a very low gun. You guys will see the big gun moves I have to make. I think this caused some major issues in mechanics and consistency.

I have now started to hold a higher gun and seeing some good progress. Also adjusted the POI of my double barrel a bit on my Perazzi MX2005.

I also did every other shot with a 50% speed reduction for slow motion review.

Check out it and let me know what you guys think.

·
Ya can't miss with a shotgun
2,597 Posts
What choke are you using for the second barrel? In looking at the shot splatter on the curtain in relation to the position and trajectory of the target, it really looks like that second target is slipping through your pattern. This was most evident on posts 1-3, I think. The red laser spot looked right on.

Reactions: Slinker27

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What choke are you using for the second barrel? In looking at the shot splatter on the curtain in relation to the position and trajectory of the target, it really looks like that second target is slipping through your pattern. This was most evident on posts 1-3, I think. The red laser spot looked right on.

Top barrel was using a IM. I have sense changed to LF. I agree with your observation for sure.

·
Registered
Perazzi MX2000 31.5/34 combo with a prosoft
1,149 Posts

In this session I was holding a very low gun. You guys will see the big gun moves I have to make. I think this caused some major issues in mechanics and consistency.

I have now started to hold a higher gun and seeing some good progress. Also adjusted the POI of my double barrel a bit on my Perazzi MX2005.

1) your left to right move is a lot smoother.

2) if you watch your arc from 1st to 2nd, the confident moves and ones where your forearm hand isn’t jerking are almost always shallow dishes. Your slower 2nd shots (and misses) are almost all domes. The low hold was almost certainly hurting you in this, as your vertical follow through would make difficult to pull back down, especially with your relatively slow timing.

3) your vertical move is somewhat discoordinated. Not sure what your intended method is, but Leo was always a proponent of almost straight vertical moves to first birds. I noticed the birds were a little curl on right, but generally pretty narrow. May have affected this.

4) I’m not convinced about the pattern letting birds through. The ones you missed you either pointed wrong or stopped the gun. Actually, a lot of lefts you pointed in front a fair ways. 3 in particular seemed to be giving you trouble.

5) really cool videos, as always. Makes me want to get one.

Planning to post some with the higher holds?

·
Registered
Perazzi MX2000 31.5/34 combo with a prosoft
1,149 Posts
Not to close... about 215 ft.

trapscreen.png
I would love to come out and shoot lime on that curtain. Beautiful target presentation.

For the shotkam: do you find that it changes your balance and swing much? I know it’s fairly light, but a few oz can still change feel.

Otherwise seems like a great tool.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Very nice video. Thanks for sharing. It does look like you have a flat shooting top barrel (second shot).
Bob

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
I readily admit to not being very good at Doubles especially with the double release trigger which is too fast for me. My POI is a lot higher than yours for both barrels and my chokes are much tighter. Thanks for the videos.

·
Banned
2,822 Posts

Interesting. At 1:51, you can clearly see the shot cloud pass ahead and slightly above the target, yet a chunk of target comes off what appears to be the rear of the target. So much for accurate readings of breaks.
Is the shotcam's red dot aligned with your POI or with your POA?
Thanks for the video, sir.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Man, those targets looked perfect.

Down under, for some reason, most doubles (we call it Double Rise) targets absolutely suck. Curing, massively different heights....or they come out almost from the side of the house, so that you can't see them at all.

By far the best doubles targets I've seen down here are at Wagga (the national grounds) where they use twin arm Mattarelli traps.

Shot a 96/100 at Wagga. Also shot a 76/100 at another club that I won't name. The worst targets ever. It was like shooting a random double in sporting.

My only comment on the video is what OP has already picked up. With targets of that consistency, i'd be holding a much higher gun. If I get good ones I hold about 2 feet over the trap house.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1) your left to right move is a lot smoother.

2) if you watch your arc from 1st to 2nd, the confident moves and ones where your forearm hand isn’t jerking are almost always shallow dishes. Your slower 2nd shots (and misses) are almost all domes. The low hold was almost certainly hurting you in this, as your vertical follow through would make difficult to pull back down, especially with your relatively slow timing.

3) your vertical move is somewhat discoordinated. Not sure what your intended method is, but Leo was always a proponent of almost straight vertical moves to first birds. I noticed the birds were a little curl on right, but generally pretty narrow. May have affected this.

4) I’m not convinced about the pattern letting birds through. The ones you missed you either pointed wrong or stopped the gun. Actually, a lot of lefts you pointed in front a fair ways. 3 in particular seemed to be giving you trouble.

5) really cool videos, as always. Makes me want to get one.

Planning to post some with the higher holds?
Thank you for this! Yes I am now doing a higher hold point that has started to help. I want to show you guys a progress video when I get out there again.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would love to come out and shoot lime on that curtain. Beautiful target presentation.

For the shotkam: do you find that it changes your balance and swing much? I know it’s fairly light, but a few oz can still change feel.

Otherwise seems like a great tool.
It does a little. It is about 5oz. I really did not notice it after the first round.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Slinker27,
Great video.
When you made an smooth aggressive move to the first target you made a smooth aggressive move to the second target. (And broke both targets well)

I am not sure you need to change your POI to much. I would try to develop a more consistent move before changing the gun setup.

You mention trying a higher hold point. That may help smooth things out.

Its All Good
West

1 - 20 of 49 Posts