Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the increasing age of trap shooters and all of the special categories, do those that are eligible to shoot categories outnumber those that are not?

Basically males between the ages of 23 and 54(inclusive) are not eligible for special categories.

·
Registered
613 Posts
In short, if not now, soon. The average age of ATA shooters was stated as 57 several years ago. This may or may not be accurate. That said, the addition of several new categories could certainly drive up the cost of shooting at major ATA events. The extra trophies add some significant costs. Competing for limited recreational money, the poor current financial situation and the loss of shooters, I do not think the additional categories has helped add or maintain ATA membership. I am competing in my 48th year. When I started there were Men, Ladies, Juniors & vets.

·
Registered
9,702 Posts
I have read several times the AVERAGE age of the ATA trap shooter is a 55 years old male. If that is true the AVERAGE shooters are already in Sub Vet class. Couple that with Vets, Sub Jr., Jr., Jr. Gold, Lady I, and Lady II, and there are several more cat. shooters than non cat. shooters.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Is trapshooting overall diminishing, or just at the ATA level?

I quit shooting ATA over 20 years ago (along with several friends) because although we enjoyed it, the drive time, wait time and cost got to be too much and the rewards too few.

I continued to shoot locally until a medical issue last year derailed me. I can attest that since our club began a league about 35 years ago, participation has increased every year. Last year I shot we had 140 guys shooting league each week along with 15-20 juniors. That leads to the question of what is participation in league shooting at other clubs around the country?

shoot well

·
Registered
14,685 Posts
We had 7 teams in our league 3 years ago, over 20 teams this year. 1/2 our league is under 30.

It's got to be fun.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts