Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you shoot either the o/u barrel or the single barrel you still see the same sight picture. If you shoot either one the same then what is the sense of wrapping up more money in having the combo? When some shooters sell their combos lots of times the o/u barrels haven't been shot. I have been considering making my CG into a combo but I shoot the o/u quite well plus I can shoot doubles if I choose to. Usually the single and the o/u are of the same weight. I hear that the o/u is more subject to the wind but I don't have a problem with that.

I would entertain you other shooters input.

·
Premium Member
11,758 Posts
I like my unsingle. But honestly, I don't think I shoot any better with it than the double barrel set.

Oh, and mine does have a little different sight picture because the unsingle has a tapered rib and a red bead, and the double barrel set has a wide rib and a white bead.

Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hello Charger ,

You might hear some talk about shooting 16's only ? Or talk about short and long yardage? games ? fixed or choke tubes ? 5 - stand , sporting clays , there are different uses for combo's none of it is wrong.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I don't use a combo.

My doubles gun is set up totally different than my singles gun.

I've had several combo guns and they never seemed to shoot the same poi.

But that's just my opinion Everyone has a different idea.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I also have a Combo CG, both configurations are specific to the way I approach the game
I am sure if I spent enough time I could shoot doubles with a 100% hi POI but could get real confusing for me

When I shoot doubles and 16 yd targets I prefer the 70/30 POI set up I have on my 32" OU barrels

When I shoot handicap I like the 34" barrel and the tall rib 100% poi

and a comment from my wife who also shoots
(It may not seem like much but 2 inches can a make big difference in the desired result )

·
Banned
4,725 Posts
I just purchase a Beretta 687 Etchen Silver Pigeon. While I have the sight picture and POI on the unsingle set up like my last CG Apex, my O/U does not have an adjustable rib so therefore I have to elevate the comb by 2 washers to give me the higher POI. Really a big difference in sight picture also. Hoping that the Trap Gods will smile upon me at the Dixie when I shoot doubles. :eek:)

blade819

·
Registered
840 Posts
I shoot a unsingle browning combo. I have the adjustable rib on the unsingle set to shoot the same as the top barrel of my double. The unsingle seems to swing just a tad faster than the double and here in the windier part of the state, I don't have the wind blowing my barrel around as much as it does the double. jmho.

Bob

·
Administrator
8,525 Posts
I agree with fast-gun.For trap I always seem to end up with a single bl. set up for the 16s and caps and my set up is different for trap double with the O/U so I quite fighting it(LOL)of course part of it depends on budget ect. but there are a lot of shooters who say shoot a BT-99 and some for of XT O/U as an example. Shoot Well George

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I have a DT10 combo the O/U and top single barrel shot the same POI about 60/40,the O/U worked perfect for me to shoot doubles but couldn't shoot singles or caps worth beans so I had rib put on the single barrel to raise the POI to 80/20 that combination works for me.Jerry

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
My son shoots a combo...

Kolar Max TA with low-profile adjustable ribs.

30" set up to shoot nearly flat for skeet, sporties & bunker.

32" 80/20 & 60/40 for trap and doubles.

One gun for all disciplines. Adjustable if he wants to tweak on any giving day.

SW

·
Banned
1,598 Posts
I have had that gun for this and this gun for that then I bought a combo. I am diligent about shooting it for all games. I use the single for trap and o/u with same sight pic for skeet, doubles, sporting etc. I think you tend to defeat the purpose of a combo if you jump guns all the time.

The ultimate gun would be a multi gauge barrel set IMO.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts