Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all...
What combo do you shoot where both barrels are adjustable?
I am looking for ideas for myself
Currently I am shooting non adjustable MX-8's (separate guns)
thanx
mike

·
Registered
86 Posts
The overall fit (stock dimensions) is probably more important than achieving the same sight picture via adjustable ribs on both barrels of a combo set. With corrective lenses set for distance vision, the rib and bead appearance is not a big factor, particularly if you shoot off of the front end of the rib.

I bought into the marketing hype of adjustable rib combos and tried a MX2005 (unsingle) for about two years with poor results, traded it for a MX2000/10 (top single combos) and have used it for about the same amount of time. Neither of these adjustable-rib combos provided any advantage over my fixed-rib MX8 combo - I have reverted to the MX8 and get a few more targets in each discipline than with either of the other guns.

Note that the difference noted above is likely to be more related to stock fit than to rib adjustability. The MX8 is equipped with a fully adjustable (Precision Fit) stock which is set for a high POI (big gap between the front and middle beads). The others had or have adjustable combs and butt-pad assemblies and were set by patterning and shooting refinements to the same POI as the MX8. As part of the adjustment process, the ribs were set to get a smaller gap between beads. The adjustable factory stocks were close to being "right" but just far enough off in terms of cheek pressure and head position to cause problems over the course of long tournaments - the "improved" sight picture did not help. I am making one last attempt to salvage the MX2000/10 by installing a custom stock this fall.

But, you should try the adjustable rib combos to see if they work well for you - shoot enough targets with whatever you are considering to get past the new-gun syndrome before deciding.

Good luck with your search,
Pat

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
If you have a combo, you can adjust your poi with your comb to shoot the top single and use an adjustable rib on top of your O/U barrel and set the poi with the rib. Now you can shoot barrels without touching your comb..... Joe

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
To amplify what Joe said above, for example, the Caesar Gurini Invictus I Trap model combo has the unsingle which can be set from 50/50 to 120 and the O/U can be set from 50/50 to 90/10. Set the POI you want with your Unsingle and then use the adjustable rib on the O/U to get the POI you want as there is enough range in the O/U rib adjustment.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
I liked my MX-2000RS 35/34 combo the best. I learned the hard way that unless you want to adjust the comb every time you switch barrels, the barrel lengths have to be the same of withing an inch. Otherwise your POI will change. My first combo was 35/31.5. With the same comb and rib settings, the O/U POI was higher; definitely not what you want for doubles.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have an mx8 with an adjustable comb. My problem is that I like a low shooting gun and usually have the comb down as far as it will go. Have been thinking about an top single mx 10 to give me more adjustability for the comb to the downside. Your thoughts please.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
I have an mx8 with an adjustable comb. My problem is that I like a low shooting gun and usually have the comb down as far as it will go. Have been thinking about an top single mx 10 to give me more adjustability for the comb to the downside. Your thoughts please.
When I had the same problem I mounted a fiber optic front sight on spacers at the front of the rib. It allowed me to lower my POI with out requiring I lower the comb to an uncomfortable level. Once I had everything dialed in and was sure I liked it, I measured. I found that a 2000RS was the right rib height for me. I like unsingles. The MX-10 top single has a very slightly taller rib than the RS.

So try the spacer idea. You may find the perfect match for you is not as tall as the MX-10. Then you can have an add-on rib fitted to you existing barrel.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Used to shoot a 682 U/S combo. Could not see the barrel with the U/S, on the O/U the barrel was within my field of view.

Switched to an MX10 TS Combo. With the higher adjustable rib, the barrel is outside my field of view on single and OU. Consistent sight picture with both barrels.

It shoots better. Could be the gun, could be me...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.