Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A shooting bud of mine lives in NC, his parents live in NYS. If hand guns are broken down, can they be shipped with out an FFL involved as they are not to be shipped as complete guns. Also, he has a NC CCW-would he be able to transport these guns across state lines via Pa --Va --NC

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
you are allowed to transit states with firearms...whether the local LE likes it or not and hassles you about it (e.g. you get pulled over and they do a search of the vehicle and find the guns) is another thing. Possession of a handgun within NYS without a NYS pistol permit is against the law....BUT, if you get stopped in NYS and the cops find the handgun (hopefully unloaded in a secure locked case), you can just say you are transiting through NY on your way to NC from (insert gun friendly state here]. NYS does not recognize any other state's CCW permit.

you didn't give much details surrounding your friend...is he purchasing/inheriting/getting the handgun "gifted" to him?

The only part of the handgun the feds regulate is the part that has the serial number on it....

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I am under the impression that you can ship handguns, without the involvement of an FFL, if there is no transfer of ownership. In otherwords, I have shipped a handgun, I own, to myselfe (via FedX) to myself from my home in CA to my home in TX.

I could be wrong, but I ship "metal and wood art work" fairly frequently.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
chief: that is legal, as long as the gun in question is legal to own in both states...

for longguns, you are allowed to ship guns without an FFL if you are sending it for warranty repair or sending it to another FFL. For warranty work, I only know that to be true for long guns...don't know about handguns... I would be curious to know if you are able to send and receive handguns for warranty/custom work without an FFL.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
When you ship a gun receiver(action) no stock to a gunsmith, do you inform the Post Office(example) what it is when insuring it or just send it insured lips sealed. I know its legal but should you say what it is???---Matt

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
well if your item gets lost or damaged, is the commercial carrier going to pay you for the item if you did not "properly" document what's inside the package? That would be my main concern in keeping your lips sealed or putting down some type of vague description, e.g. wood and metal artwork.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.