Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being one of those aging shooters needing some help to see both distance and reading, does anyone have some experience with using Transition lenses on the line? I guess I'm just thinking out loud on what my options are outside of regular shooting glasses with precriptive lenses. Thanks for the input-Jim

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
You understand that " transition lenses " are lenses that darken or lighten to adapt to the light condition. It has nothing to do with near or distance correction. Is that what you meant?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Transition lenses adapt to changing light conditions and are what I shoot in nowadays. You can get them in several shades. I use the brown (or some refer to them as tea) shade.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I am in my 60's and have been wearing progressive no line bifocals for over 20 years now. I shot trap before glasses and when I started again a few years ago did terrible! I was moving my head to focus and that doesn't do well for shooting. I got a pair of Ranger XLW shooting glasses with my distance only insert prescription and it makes ALL the difference in the world. I went that way so I could change lens color and just update my script when needed. Steve

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
I have progressive lenses with transitions. I can't shoot in them. Not so much the darkness changing is the problem. It is the shape of the lens grind that changes the movement of the target. When the target comes out of the house you look at it in a different position of the lens, then as you move your head and gun to meet that focus, your eyes move back to the center of the lens, and it seems to change the flight of the bird. Freaked me out the first time I shot in them. It was almost like the bird stopped in mid-air, or even moved backwards. My glasses are ground in an hour glass shape. My Rangers are for distance only, so no matter where the bird is focused on through the lens, vision is not distorted.

Problem is like you, I can't see close either without correction, so when reading or writing on score sheets for instance, it gets a little challenging to keep it legible without switching glasses.

Father in law shoots with transition lenses that have tri-focals in them. So all his vision is through the top of the lens out to distance, and the image never changes once in focus evidently, because he shoots pretty good.

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
I am. Using the progressive. 61 years, old doing fine.
I am in my 60's and have been wearing progressive no line bifocals for over 20 years now. I shot trap before glasses and when I started again a few years ago did terrible! I was moving my head to focus and that doesn't do well for shooting. I got a pair of Ranger XLW shooting glasses with my distance only insert prescription and it makes ALL the difference in the world. I went that way so I could change lens color and just update my script when needed. Steve

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am. Using the progressive. 61 years, old doing fine.
Thanks for the replies guys. Dickgtax, yes I know that the transitions darken and lighten but I was interested in whether anyone shot in them due to this. Yes, I do need corrective lenses in whatever I decide to go with. Regular plain shooting glasses just "ain't getting it done" for the ole man.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Shooting with transition lenses should not be an issue. They just go from light to dark. I have used transition lenses for probably close to 20 years. The issue you will have with them is on really bright warm days you might feel that they are not dark enough and on cool overcast days (say 45 degrees and cloudy) they will turn almost black where you can hardly see anything. For example you are deer hunting in November, you might as not try to wear them in the morning. The eye doctors keep telling me the newest versions of Transitions are not affected by cold as much as the older versions, but I have yet to see any real difference. Also after a couple of years the Transition lenses seem to stop changing as much (still change but not as much). Also after a few years, your lenses seem to slightly change colors but that may vary depending on whether they are plastic, polycarbonate, or some of the other types. Also the thickness of the lens could affect it.

Progressive lenses on the other had have to do with near and far vision (magnification). I am near sighted so I have a correction of -1.00. I have tried progressive lenses and they just do not work for me (shooting or otherwise) due to the conversion of the negative numbers (for near vision) to the positive numbers for seeing up close (magnification - positive numbers). People that need a positive prescription all the time have much better luck because all the lens has a positive prescription (top may have +1.25 while the bottom has +2.50 and the sides are somewhere in between). Mine were -1.00 at the top and +2.25 at the bottom and the parts in between my as well have been blacked out because it was impossible to see through the sides (the area you can see out of is kind of Y shaped so you can only see out of the part that is inside the Y).

·
Registered
225 Posts
I tried Progressive lenses and could not get use to them. I wear trifocals for everyday use, but shoot with single vision lens for distance. I do have a pair of trifocals with transition lens that fit my shooting glasses, which I can put in between
Events.

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
There's an optometrist with the user name "maltzahn" on Shotgunworld.com/shooting/trap. He has been making transition shooting glasses called Autumn Gold which transition from a light gold to a darker bronze. Several shooters have tried and liked them. He is a top trapshooter. You might contact him.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
I wear progressive lenses where the top of the lens is for distance and then it progresses downward to a little less strength until finally at the bottom are some very light bifocal. I have no problem with them at all.Don't get mad at me but maybe if you are "transitioning" from your topmost distance prescription as you go after the target you are raising your head as you move the gun upward....I don't mash my head down on the comb and look upward through the top of my glasses like I see some people do and I shoot a little faster than a lot of people do...I am always looking thru the distance portion of my prescription so it doesn't bother me.

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
I.do. the same with my progressive.
The thing is if you have to think about looking at a spot before you shoot ou aren't using these glasses as the are intended to be used

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
I.do. the same with my progressive.
The thing is if you have to think about looking at a spot before you shoot ou aren't using these glasses as the are intended to be used
Yeah, I don't look down toward the lip of the traphouse when I call for the target then have to shift my vision upward to follow it out....I look 15-20 feet in front of the house to start with so I'm always looking through the distance prescription part of my lens...doing that also helps keep me from chasing the target streak.

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Correctly
Yeah, I don't look down toward the lip of the traphouse when I call for the target then have to shift my vision upward to follow it out....I look 15-20 feet in front of the house to start with so I'm always looking through the distance prescription part of my lens...doing that also helps keep me from chasing the target streak.

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
Also, at dusk they seem to just darken enough to cause less focus on the bird, because the light allowed into the eyes is not quite enough to see clearly. I also have the darker shading, as my eyes are sensitive to light. They work great in bright sun, but you really have to be careful when walking into a dark building from the bright sunshine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts