Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My old trail cam has just about had it. I'm in the market for a new one. Any suggestions on the latest and greatest motion cams that are out there. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
More information is needed to make a suggestion.
For instance: will you be able to service the camera, and check the pictures it has taken?
: if not, do you want pictures sent to your phone? This will cost you a monthly fee, and the camera
must be in a cellular service area.
: you can get pictures sent to the manufacturers website, and access them from there, but
again, a monthly fee, and they own the pictures, with which they can do as they want. Are
you comfortable with your GPS marked pictures of a B&C buck being in someone else's hands?
There are many options to consider, but you should have answers to at least the above questions before you go shopping for a new camera. Don't be taken in by talk of wonderful new features; remember, they come with a cost, and are useless unless the camera is in a cellular service area.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
It is pretty easy to find good trail cameras that were selling for $200.00 to $300.00 that are now selling for under $100.00. Some decent cameras are selling closer to $50.00 just because they are now the old model.

I have had elk, bears and cattle tear up some of my trail Cameras so I would rather by four 8 MP cameras for $300.00 than buy one of the latest and greatest cameras for $300.00 or more.

We have had pretty good luck with the 8 MP Bushnell Trophy Cams. When we first bought them they were over $200.00 and the last ones we bought were around $70.00. They take better videos than they take pictures.

http://vid148.photobucket.com/albums/s28/derbyacresbob/Favorites/002.mp4
http://vid148.photobucket.com/albums/s28/derbyacresbob/Favorites/PICT0045.mp4

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is what I love about this site. Some great info and some awesome images and videos. I guess there is pros and cons on these cameras. I was thinking about using the camera as a security type camera around the garage and house when I'm out traveling. I might be checking into the one that would send the images to my phone. The camera I have now has the SD card that has to be loaded into my computer to view images. I guess I have a bit of research to do.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
You get what you pay for!! Money buy's quality . I have used several different trail cams and had my share of problems with most of them. Now I use Reconyx cameras and I don't look back. I buy extra cards and when I go to check the fotos I switch cards and take the used one home to download on the PC. If you have any problem with them they have excellent customer service and they can be set up with a code so no one can use them but the guy with the code. This won't prevent theft but the thief can never use the camera. I always set them up and camo them so they don't get stolen! I had one stolen by a crooked game warden and he got caught!! Sometimes you only have one option as to where you can set the camera up so it will take the best foto and this leaves it exposed. That's when I use 2 cameras, One for the quarry and one set up high in a tree pointed at the other camera. This way you get a foto of the thief.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
I second the Bushnells. I bought two because of the reviews they received in owner reports as well as magazine tests and they work great. I will strongly recommend you steer clear of the Kodiak WiFi cameras. I bought one and had no luck getting the WiFi working with either my Android phone or our son's iPhone and their customer support is horrible. Fortunately, the seller accepted the return and refunded my money very promptly.

Ed

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
All I know is my three stealth cams suck! Battery eating machines. My dad has a Moultrie battery's last almost a year he put new battery's in Nov. left it out all winter and it was still taking pics in April when he got back from Texas .

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
I took my Bushnells down last December after being on continuously since August. The batteries tested "very good" this July. I was surprised and fully expected them to be discharged as the cameras took hundreds of photos and videos and the batteries were left in the cameras, which has a memory of settings that I thought would drain them.

Ed

·
Well known trouble maker
2,730 Posts
You just cannot go wrong with the Bushnell Trophy Cam's for the money.

I have twelve of them out at any given time and they have never let me down.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Return it for a Bushnell Trophy Cam. Mine were easy to program and they offer a lot of programming options. They even retain your programming when the batteries are removed and on top of that, they are far from the most expensive ones on the market.

Ed

·
Registered
597 Posts

Doc, With so many hanging from the ceiling in the bedroom does those
flash's and operating noises
heighten or distract from the mood?

Eddie

·
Registered
1,909 Posts

Doc, With so many hanging from the ceiling in the bedroom does those
flash's and operating noises
heighten or distract from the mood?

Eddie
Set it on video for 15 seconds!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Bass pro had a moultrie on sale. Thanks for all the information. I think this one will be just fine.
Savage I was in a Cabela's yesterday that had Bushnell game cameras on sale for around $60 off. If you want the wireless version they can probably order it for you. They are great cameras, easy to setup, and have a one year warranty.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts