Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever done this? What was your experience like? Did you get a fair price for your gun(s)?

I have a Benelli Cordoba and a Beretta A400 Extreme that I wouldn't mind trading/selling in order to get another trap gun. Both are less than 1 year old.

·
Registered
14,153 Posts
You'll get 50-60 cents on the dollar of what you'd get selling it on your own.

Certainly a quick way to get $, but you'll loose a substantial chunk doing it.

·
Banned
4,738 Posts
I can't speak for the chain stores, but like anything in life when you trade you get the short end of the stick. Cars, tractors, guns....you lose. With any trade the convenience of a quick deal comes with a price and the seller is on the wining end. You could try to sell them here or any of the other sales sites. Just be prepared to go through what the dealer would charge to do it for you. I have never traded anything and felt like I got a good deal.

It never hurts to ask and you can compare what they offer against what they sell for. Gunbroker.com is a good place to get an idea what your guns are selling for.

Your mileage may vary. Good luck

·
Registered
642 Posts
I have tried in the past, But I have found smaller gun shops will beat them by $100- $300 depending on the gun.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I was going to do it, but they told me they take 30% off what they believe the gun is worth. They will give you cash for your gun. They dont require that you put the money toward another gun.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
Cabelas has treated me well. I only buy used guns, and recently took a few to my local Cabelas, with a figure in mind of what I needed to get from them. They offered me more than my minimum amount that I set for myself, so I sold them. I might have gotten a few more dollars, if I had marketed them myself, but the transaction was fair and painless. I have also bought my share of guns from Cabelas, and they usually will bargain with me on the price of their used guns. Life is too short to quibble over a few dollars. Cabelas is interested in buying quality guns, and usually isn't interested in cheap junk.

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
I've not a problem. You just can't love your gun. 70% of the value is about right. Camille at Jaquas once told me they would pay 70% also.

Cabelas gotta eat too!

·
Registered
642 Posts
It may also be how well the gun manager knows his trade, The last time I was in our local Cabela's the manager tried to sell me a used gun as new, the barrels were dirty from being shot, he tried to tell me Browning test fires their guns, that may be true but they wouldn't send it out the door with dirty barrels. also what tipped me off when I asked one of the "counter guys" if they had the model I was looking for he said, " I think we just got a used one in, It should be in the gun library" Between what they wanted for the gun I was looking at, and what they offered for mine, I saved $230for a new gun with clean barrels at a smaller gun shop.

·
Sky Buster
4,171 Posts
It may also be how well the gun manager knows his trade, The last time I was in our local Cabela's the manager tried to sell me a used gun as new, the barrels were dirty from being shot, he tried to tell me Browning test fires their guns, that may be true but they wouldn't send it out the door with dirty barrels. also what tipped me off when I asked one of the "counter guys" if they had the model I was looking for he said, " I think we just got a used one in, It should be in the gun library" Between what they wanted for the gun I was looking at, and what they offered for mine, I saved $230for a new gun with clean barrels at a smaller gun shop.
Prepare yourself for anal penetration...

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
Well, it really comes down to how well YOU know the real value of the gun. If your unprepared you'll feel screwed. If your prepared, you can often get a reasonable deal.

Small gunshops? I've not seen many high end guns hanging on their racks....

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
If you're a retailer you can't pay retail and sell at retail, simple. Depending on the size of the business and it's overhead will bear on what that company can pay to make it's margin. Most don't offer the best deal first time around that's when negotiation comes into play, it's called making a abusiness transaction.

Surfer

·
Registered
163 Posts
If you trade at Cabela's, you will take it in the shorts. If I was going to lose money, I would rather sell it at the club, and at least give a shooter the good deal instead of a multi- billion dollar store. But, that's just me.

August

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
Now are we talking about the Cabelas that sponsors all the shooting sport events?

·
Banned
4,738 Posts
Cam, says they give 70%?....70% of what? The guys there must not have got the memo. Any time I walked in there with a gun looking to trade, I left with at least two. The one I brought back home was always the cheapest I could acquire that gun for.

Look at it this way, would you buy a gun for 30-50% of what it's worth? You would? Keep that in mind when you're trading.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Cabelas is a business. They need to have product on which they can make a profit. That means that they have to give trade-ins less than retail value so they can be marked up to sell at a profit.

We can go round and round as to what a reasonable profit is but let's leave that discussion for another time.

Sellers are typically better off if they sell their guns private party and go to any seller with cash.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I have bought and sold several to them. I will tell you right now it depends on who you are dealing with in the gun library. Also they only want quality guns in extremely good condition. Yes they will take some scratched up model on a trade but they will not give much for it. So for the good news, if you have a $5000 or $10000 gun where else are you going to take it to and trade it or get cash? Yes you might set it on a shelf at some local gun shop but it might set there for a long time. Sometimes they surprise you. It costs nothing to have them give you an offer and that offer may be negotiable a little also especially on a trade. And remember it is cash with no screwing around.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
If the guns you are trading are still in production, you must remember that they can purchase new ones really cheap

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
One day, I attempted to sell or trade two guns at Cabela's and at Gander mountain. I had a Browning Broadway trap gun in very good shape and a pre 64 model 12 trap gun also in very good shape. I first went to Gander mountain and waited almost 1 hour as the salesman took both guns in the back room?

On the Browning, he offered me $300.00 while keeping a straight face. He said because the gun did not have choke tubes it would sit there a very long time. They were not interested in the Model 12. I asked why? He said because the forend tube was damaged. I told him that's a stop, without it the forend would slide right off. I did not walk out of the store, I practically ran.

A few minutes away, I went to Cabela's. I knew the manger in the gun library as he once owned a gun store in Menominee Falls Wisconsin and I was a good customer of his. He looked at both guns and took me a side and said he'd be embarrassed to make an offer on what they would allow him to purchase the guns. I told him what Gander mt. said and offered me and he shook his head in disbelief and said I'd burn them before I let them go for that amount.

I have NEVER had any luck dealing with either company.
Steve Balistreri
Wauwatosa Wisconsin

·
Registered
687 Posts
you may think of selling them on consignment! I let Dawsons sell one for me, he got more than I was asking and sent the check to my house. He also sold a ljutic for my buddy. He got a little less than he wanted but was well satisfied. I think Dawsons charges 10% and Jaquas 15 or 20%

1 - 20 of 28 Posts