Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My honda died after 30 years. Picked up the 4500/3650. Runs great. Brooke it in 5 hours .Change oil. Turned everything on over an hour ago. Air on. 68 is noise level
not bad
my old honda was deafening..

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
You chilling a tent with that little thing?

I got a couple Generac's and did away with the partial malarkey. Now every appliance, every switch works when the power goes out.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
my home Generac home standby, started and exercized right on time at 630 this afternoon, whole house has power, 1000 gal propane tank, any questions?

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You chilling a tent with that little thing?

I got a couple Generac's and did away with the partial malarkey. Now every appliance, every switch works when the power goes out.
It's on my 30' fifth wheel
comes with 30 amp plug built in.
I took 2 generac for fifth wheel back to lowe. The breaker on generator keep flipping.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I looked at the Chinese generators at the local big box stores. The price was great, but they seemed to have cheap parts. So I went with a whole house propane Generac and have no regrets.

Steve

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have used the Champion 4500 for 5 years for my 5th wheel trailer. It never let me down but was A bit louder than the Hondas.
Last year I switched to 2 3500 watt inverter Champions linked together. They power my 42' 5th wheel completely, including 2 Ac units and 2 household fridges. temps were in the mid 90s this past weekend and campground power was down to 106 volts. I switched to the gens while others in the group were in electric management mode by cycling the ACs on and off.
Plus factory support is available quickly, I needed voltage gauge for the old gen and had it in 2 days under warranty.

·
Premium Member
3,153 Posts
Nothing like a whole house generator when the power is out for days. Especially true when you have well-water. During the summer doldrums when everybody and their cousins have all their ACs on, you can have brownouts. In such heat, fans won't cut it. So make sure your generators have sufficient power to run ACs.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I worked as a mechanic at a place that sold china generators and after a large ice storm I soon found out why they were so cheap. A lot of the engines were Honda copies but, the processes and materials used were not on par. For example, I had a couple come in with failed rocker arms. They were cheap stamped parts so after some use the push rods would bust through the divot in the arm and as you can imagine destruction only got worse from there. I didn't mess with the electronic end but, the other guy in the shop cussed them daily. The corners cut to make them cheap will show themselves with enough use (in some cases it's not long at all). As for parts availability, we were actually able to get parts directly from the manufacturer (All Power if I recall correctly) without too much trouble. I have no idea what how difficult parts will be to find 10 years from now when they don't make that model anymore or aren't even in business but, I can only speculate that it won't be as easy as a well established company like Honda or Generac.

You're opening sentence said it all "My honda died after 30 years"... 30 years! I highly doubt your new generator will last that long if you use it regularly. You're old Honda may have been deafening but, it was made 30 years ago. Have you seen/run a new Honda? They are some of the quietest, most fuel efficient generators on the market and are pretty compact. Sure they, come at a premium price but, you get what you pay for.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You can't get parts for anything made in China. Just try to and get back with us.
Sorta funny all the repair parts for my honda em2200 came from China. It is over 30 years old. Two years ago needed a new AVR and carbon bushings. Had them in less than a week. You can even get them through Amazon.
They all use PayPal. Had my money refunded when I ordered the wrong part and was told to keep part.
Need a new carburetor for the Tecumseh (Sears motor) it came from China. Worked great

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I worked as a mechanic at a place that sold china generators and after a large ice storm I soon found out why they were so cheap. A lot of the engines were Honda copies but, the processes and materials used were not on par. For example, I had a couple come in with failed rocker arms. They were cheap stamped parts so after some use the push rods would bust through the divot in the arm and as you can imagine destruction only got worse from there. I didn't mess with the electronic end but, the other guy in the shop cussed them daily. The corners cut to make them cheap will show themselves with enough use (in some cases it's not long at all). As for parts availability, we were actually able to get parts directly from the manufacturer (All Power if I recall correctly) without too much trouble. I have no idea what how difficult parts will be to find 10 years from now when they don't make that model anymore or aren't even in business but, I can only speculate that it won't be as easy as a well established company like Honda or Generac.

You're opening sentence said it all "My honda died after 30 years"... 30 years! I highly doubt your new generator will last that long if you use it regularly. You're old Honda may have been deafening but, it was made 30 years ago. Have you seen/run a new Honda? They are some of the quietest, most fuel efficient generators on the market and are pretty compact. Sure they, come at a premium price but, you get what you pay for.
Honda was great. Have a trip to the beach next week. With putting 5 New tires on 5th wheel I need something to go that affordable.
The smallest generator in my garage is my old stand by coleman.
Noisy as hell and to big to carry with the fifth wheel
20160719_110751.jpg

·
Molon Labe
11,981 Posts
I have it tough, I just hook my John Deere 5520 to my Winco 27.5 KVA pto generator and have power within 5 minutes, and it will run everything

But it would be nice for the middle of the night gigs, but the few times that has happened I can't see sinking the money in an automatic standby

·
Banned
2,562 Posts
We ran about 125 generacs before I retired at phone company. Better than some. Not nearly as good as others. After about 10 years they are junk in a utility situation.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts