Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there such a thing as tracer shotgun shells. If so is that what they are called? Where would you get them?

Don

·
Registered
125 Posts
Winchester made some at one time, found and bought a red and yellow box of 25 at a pawn shop about a week ago, they appear to be kind of old. Not sure who would currently make them though?

Chuck

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Yes, they did at one time make tracers for shot guns. They were off the market for some time because they didn't work very well and started some fires at some dryer clubs. We shot them only in wet condition and I believe someone is marketing them again.

I think the last ones I had were called Tru-shot. They were reloaded in the old style Winchester cases.

Good luck,
Ajax

·
Registered
329 Posts
Don
I had a couple of boxes of tracers 40yrs ago. I got them from my Brother in law and at the time he was a policeman. Pretty sure he got them through the Police dept. I took them to the club and had fun shooting trap with them. Myself, I haven't seen any since then. I'm sure someone on here knows if there is any available .

·
Registered
809 Posts
Someone on TS was selling tracer wads for reloading. I bought a case, but didn't have much luck with them. Only 30-40% would light. I tried every recipe recommended, but no luck. Butch from Pgh

·
Registered
275 Posts
Fiocchi still makes them. They are called Cyalume shotshells. Probably marked Chemitrace on box 7 1/2 shot, 12 ga. only, 2 3/4 inch, 1300 fps. Probably run around $2 a shell.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Revbook,,

You can buy components and load tracers yourself from D.W. Miesner, Northwest Research and Development Inc. 3431 Wallace Rd. NW, Salem, OR 97304. 503.999.4617. I bought about 200 of the wads/tracer elements. It's hard to see the tracers on sunny days, since the tracer produces a whitish trail. During the day, it's best to have a spotter, but at night, you can clearly see the tracer round. It's especially fun to use them intermittently in Annies at nite. BobK

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Tried some in the 60s, not very consistent, you could see the tracer go right past the clay bird without breaking the bird, then the next one the tracer would be 6-8 ft. off & the bird would break. They were kinda neat to watch though. Ross Puls

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I saw some recently for salein one of the mail order catalogs maybe Sportsman's Guide? I can't remember but they are still available. Tried doing a search?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Fiocchi is one of our sponsors for the Las Vegas 1000 and will be demoing their new tracer shells at the shoot. Info about the shells here.
http://www.thedigitaleditiononline.com/publication/?i=58653

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Several companies make tracers or tracer wads but none of them are worth a darn. The tracer material is too big and light to stay with the shot all the way to the target.

MK

·
Registered
731 Posts
I slipped one into a friend's box and his eyes were popped wide open when it went off. I don't remember where I got them but I loaded them and the tracer was held by the wad. Still have a few.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I purchased the tracer wads from the person "flybynight" was talking about earlier. I had real good luck with mine, like he said, a little hard to see in bright South Texas daytime, but at night, they look like a flare going out to the target. I have fun with them during night shoot-offs in our little local fun shoots (non-registered). The wads are a little "pricey", but work well when helping people "visualize" where they are shooting. Some will say the wads don't always go in the line with the shot, but most of the time, I think it is pretty much right in line with where you are shooting. My $0.02 worth Mike* (MH*)

·
Registered
423 Posts
Saw where Fiochi was advertising them under the name "Canned Heat." Would be fun to launch one of those during the local Annie Oakley events... HJH

·
Registered
895 Posts
I have some of the tracer wads for our high school team. I stopped using them for training as it was obvious they didn't always go with the shot. Maybe it was the way I seated some of the tracer elements. Hard to say. They're a great novelty item at night, but that's about it as far as I'm concerned.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.