Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Al Golden in Denver. He couldn’t shoot 80% in singles but he new everything. Most old timers remember him in the 70’s. He was rich and it was obvious by the women he rented to accompany him to the trap club.

·
Premium Member
11,892 Posts
Is Phil Kiner still doing clinics?

Darrell Farr, if you live in the Kansas City area, does a pretty respectable job too. He does one-on-one coaching.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
I believe Phil is still doing them on a limited basis. He's on here occasionally, maybe he'll see this and respond.

·
Vendor
1,691 Posts
Yes, I am still doing clinics. I have been fighting an ankle/foot issue the past 2 years hence the reason for not being aggressively pursuing clinics.

I missed the last 2 Grand's because I could not shoot. However, although I did do a clinic here and there, I could not go full steam ahead. I have been and will continue to do personal lessons and small groups at the club here in Cheyenne.

I am almost totally healed and intend on being back both teaching and competing this year.

I will make the Spring Grand this coming year and intend to go balls to the wall from that point on.

TIM99 thanks for asking.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Just a personal thought on clinics and I have taken several. If you can afford it, do a one-on-one clinic for a day or, if not, attend a clinic that has a maximum of 10 shooters as you will have more personal instruction. They are definitely worth the money!

·
Registered
775 Posts
Yes, I am still doing clinics. I have been fighting an ankle/foot issue the past 2 years hence the reason for not being aggressively pursuing clinics.

I missed the last 2 Grand's because I could not shoot. However, although I did do a clinic here and there, I could not go full steam ahead. I have been and will continue to do personal lessons and small groups at the club here in Cheyenne.

I am almost totally healed and intend on being back both teaching and competing this year.

I will make the Spring Grand this coming year and intend to go balls to the wall from that point on.

TIM99 thanks for asking.
Great to hear Phil. Glad your healing up.
You're one of the Greats! Always like your advice.

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
bias question.

most answers are based solely on ones ability to advertise, attend big shoots, and post high scores getting the most exposure to new clients. sometimes the best is found in obscure places. ( i/e: rocky's coach - the movie)

high scores dont necessarily mean one is able to master the little brown book, design curriculum and convey a thought.

not everyone can be all 4 at the same time. some can. no names mentioned.
1. teach
2. coach
3. instruct
4. give clinical diagnosis

case in point, i know many high score top flight, world champs who are born naturals, but have the personality of a toad.
and...one must realize that everything these people give as advice, has been created and given by others prior to them. (there is nothing new under the sun) its just repackaged and renamed. so...marketing and the creation of an attractive product tends to draw more to them...making the bias.
i/e:
concentrate has been changed to... focus.
get serious is now... putting your game face on.
16mm is now dvd.

the most important point overlooked is the fact that a favorable result is directly effected by the students ability to grasp concepts. thus why so many instructors and teachers exist. its not fair to grade one instructor against another, because the student may be a dufus with x, but shine with y.

and like most of the internet these days, quality is measured in RATIONAL CONSENSUS, and that alone is bias. all that thumbs up or down, like dislike nonsense.

ive been in this arena since 1979, so yes i know what im talking about.
and any teachers or professors out there know what i speak of as well.
hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
bobski in general I agree with you however, as in all things there are some exceptions . there are a few instructors with lousy personalities that truly can teach or instruct as you please. I could name a few but won't .

·
Registered
813 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong doing a clinic with Nora Ross and if you can afford it and she has the time some one on one with Nora is even better.
Devonian.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Nora Ross is well worth your time and money. Check out her website for clinic schedule. She takes 10 shooters at most daily. I recommend you take her day one singles clinic and day two handicap and doubles clinic. After taking these two clinics she can offer an Advance clinic for experienced shooters. Having completed all three along with organizing several of her clinics at our Charlotte club, she will help you get better. But, you must practice what you are taught.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts