Trapshooters Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've been coaching high school trapshooting for 6 years, it is similar to herding cats. I wonder what are the biggest errors in your game that hurts you performance.
Mine are:
1. Moving my gun
2. Moving my eyes
3. Head off the stock.

My kids are bad to use the wrong hold points, mainly holding a high gun while shooting with one eye. Lot's of bad habits out there.
1. Not seeing target clearly before
2. Moving gun
3. Eye switches dominance

·
Registered
796 Posts
ball trap, or Automatic ball trap (ABT).

76 metre targets, 45 degrees each side, random heights between 1.5 and 3m at 10m from the trap.

Basically it's Olympic trap on a budget.

If you move the wrong way before you see the target, good luck catching it. It'll be doing 20-30 mph more than an ATA target.
I think if you look up the specs they changed the distance to 70 meters in 2015 and the angles to 32 degrees +/- 2.5 degrees, because the targets were to tough. I really liked it at 76 meters as it woke me up!! It's all good fun and even better practice. A local club ran 4 layouts in the good old days when there were guys practicing for OT. [The club got closed down in December 1999 due to some bad legal advice and an aggressive developer.]
Devonian.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've been coaching high school trapshooting for 6 years, it is similar to herding cats. I wonder what are the biggest errors in your game that hurts you performance.
Mine are:
1. Moving my gun
2. Moving my eyes
3. Head off the stock.

My kids are bad to use the wrong hold points, mainly holding a high gun while shooting with one eye. Lot's of bad habits out there.
#1 Go to Pattern Board and make adjustments 70/30 is great, 90/10 acceptable
#2 Both Eyes Open, Hard to learn is you ever hunted, hard habit to break, but you will break more one learned
#3 Good mount, and pull tight into shoulder, elbow up to lock into the pocket
#4 Don't look at front beat before calling, call with both eyes open, bring gun up, she front of barrel, pull trigger just under the clay.
#5 shoot fairly quick out of the house, don't let it get to far away
#6 concentrate only on the shoot, nothing else, and don't try to out guess the direction of which way the bird is going to come out!
At least all these help me achieve high 20's and a lot of 23 & 24

41 - 46 of 46 Posts