Trapshooters Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
I've been coaching high school trapshooting for 6 years, it is similar to herding cats. I wonder what are the biggest errors in your game that hurts you performance.
Mine are:
1. Moving my gun
2. Moving my eyes
3. Head off the stock.

My kids are bad to use the wrong hold points, mainly holding a high gun while shooting with one eye. Lot's of bad habits out there.
I often, but not always, have trouble getting them out of kid mode. They will show up playing grab a$#, acting goofy and silly. It frustrates me but I’m quick to remember that they are just kids being kids. I’m sure I did the same when I was their age. Luckily the group I have this year are rather easy to get settled down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
145 Posts
For me, ways I make mistakes. 1. Thinking. 2. Relaxing and not staying aggressive. 3. Not keeping a consistent hold point.
I have similar issues. I tend to think about “if I hit these next 5, I’ll be straight”. That’s exactly when I’ll drop a target. Also if I don’t keep my emotions in check, bad things happen. It’s like a snowball effect.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've been coaching high school trapshooting for 6 years, it is similar to herding cats. I wonder what are the biggest errors in your game that hurts you performance.
Mine are:
1. Moving my gun
2. Moving my eyes
3. Head off the stock.

My kids are bad to use the wrong hold points, mainly holding a high gun while shooting with one eye. Lot's of bad habits out there.
Good three points. I would respectfully add looking too hard for the bird. I used to tell my youth shooters "Look very carefully at nothing."

·
Ya can't miss with a shotgun
2,752 Posts
Three things that hurt my score:

Allowing myself to get lazy and skip steps in my pre-shot routine

Not keeping an agressive hyper-alert awareness and laser focus on the target

Staying in soft focus a little too long and losing the edge

·
Registered
334 Posts
1-Keep head in gun through out the entire shot , staying in gun after finishing shot. 2-Setting eye and gun with out jumping or jerking to target.3- plant feet firmly for a steady and smooth barrel presentation to the target. 4- Try to shoot along side well known shooters that you do not have to worry about and are non distracting to you.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Leo called it best. Moving the gun before you see the target, lifting your head and having "Happy Feet" In other words not getting your feet in the correct position on each station and moving them when you do.
Many years ago after his clinic I wrote his words on a card and keep it in my shooting bag for when I screw up. [and I do]
Devonian.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Ball trap?
ball trap, or Automatic ball trap (ABT).

76 metre targets, 45 degrees each side, random heights between 1.5 and 3m at 10m from the trap.

Basically it's Olympic trap on a budget.

If you move the wrong way before you see the target, good luck catching it. It'll be doing 20-30 mph more than an ATA target.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
I thought maybe you still shot Bogardus glass ball traps Down Under......... :sneaky:

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
I thought maybe you still shot Bogardus glass ball traps Down Under......... :sneaky:

Actually "ball trap" is what we do to people who annoy us during a round. It involves a 6" bench vice and two guys called Vito and Tony.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts