Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been coaching high school trapshooting for 6 years, it is similar to herding cats. I wonder what are the biggest errors in your game that hurts you performance.
Mine are:
1. Moving my gun
2. Moving my eyes
3. Head off the stock.

My kids are bad to use the wrong hold points, mainly holding a high gun while shooting with one eye. Lot's of bad habits out there.

Reactions: Rocket3

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Gun control. Control the gun and admire the smoke. It's great to smoke a target but if you swing the gun at the target like a baseball bat and have to look around the barrel to see if you broke it, it's no beuno.

·
What squad am I on?
Lots of different guns...
8,032 Posts
1. Knowing the gun isn't right but calling your target anyway.
2. Not letting your eyes settle but calling your target anyway.
3. Letting the squad dictate your rhythm.

There's a reason you anticipate the target, moving the gun before you see it , usually while lifting your head. Almost every bad move boils down to not being ready.

·
Premium Member
4,605 Posts
It's a game of repetition and if you can't do the same thing now that you were doing 5 minutes ago then you can't reach your full potential.
1 Thinking about anything other than what you have to do to break the next target.
2 Shooting too deliberate/ not being instinctive.
3 Making last minute changes for stupid reasons.
Henry

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Hey Colonel....you left out a HANGOVER!

Honestly, I have nothing to add. I've coached kids for 2o years and the above posts covered just about everything.
Jim

·
Premium Member
11,845 Posts
Hey Colonel....you left out a HANGOVER!

Honestly, I have nothing to add. I've coached kids for 2o years and the above posts covered just about everything.
Jim
Hopefully your kids didn't have them. Hangovers, that is. :LOL:

·
Premium Member
3,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I find that I must move my shotgun, and my eyes in order to break a moving target!!!!

Not sure what you really mean here? I get the head off the stock part for sure. I think most all of us have done that, while trying to shoot at a rising target!!! Mmm break em all jeff
Moving gun or eyes as I call before seeing the target. I've noticed most of the time I've moved the wrong way or started moving my eyes up looking for phantasm.

·
Registered
22,821 Posts
Hopefully your kids didn't have them. Hangovers, that is. :LOL:
But they do. Mostly on a Saturday practice day. But even on Sunday at meets a few of the boys will be mimicking a brewery. Kids with more money than experience who also have a vehicle. Will do stupid things. Not all of them of course, but there’s always one or two. So you council them best way you can. Sometimes you chide them just when they are feeling their worse thirst. Hopefully you can get them to not drink as much but they WILL drink.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts