Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am shooting a CG have been since 2006 or 2007 Combo I recently started looking at the side of the unsingle with my left eye, (pissing me off) missing targets I shouldn't and the like.

I would like to know what the rib height is on the two barrels I have a custom stock that I don't want to give up but I am willing to buy the top single and add the barrel selector to my old Summit action if the ribs match.

Before I get the more practice speech, if you practice bad habits you reinforce bad habits and currently that is what is happening. I have not tried a dot yet but that may help, and willing to try that.

I am a decent shot AA singles or close to it 27 Yard Cap's and AA doubles.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Start reading old threads about eye dominates shifts or cross firing. I don't think barrel change will help if your left eye is trying to take over.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In the past I wore a patch around the house in the evenings, maybe I should go back to that to try and help it a little.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have the same problem . I have both a high rib gun and an over single , It occurs on both guns , the only way around it for me was to put a bbl. fence on both guns .The problem seemed to be worse on posts one and two on doubles , the fence cured it .

·
Registered
104 Posts
I currently use the sight blinder, to block the bead from the left eye. Never heard of Barrel fence? can you post a picture or web site for that?
Meadow Industries carries the most popular one that I have seen on guns. They also have the glow bead that make a "tunnel" if you will for your dominant eye.

If you're a glow bead fan, Hi-Viz makes a small crossfire eliminator bead that replaces the existing bead that is smaller than the Meadow Industries option.

Good luck and break them all!

John

·
Registered
333 Posts
The fence and the Meadows sight blinder are the same thing , I had Krieghoff install theirs and they call it a fence . Theirs are thinner , taller and are drilled and tapped into the rib .

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
I believe your problem is a too low POI. When you swing through the target on 1 and two, your barrel may be hiding the bird from your right eye. If that happens your left eye will instantly take over and you will miss. I had the same problem until I raised the POI enough that I always saw the bird above the barrel.

If you cannot raise your POI enough just by lowering the front bead with your adjustable rib, you'll have to make the extra corrections using the stock. If yours has an adjustable comb, that is easy. If not you'll have to add one or pad the top of the stock.

It sounds like you are shooting a lowish POI. The Summit will let you go to 100% high, just with rib adjustments. I found that 80/20 or 8-9" high at 40 cured the problem for me. It was also okay for doubles.

·
Vendor
1,680 Posts
I DO know that the tendency to cross-fire is greater with un-single than top.

& as ZZT said try a higher poi - most shooters won’t test higher & they’re just adding a couple three years to how long it takes them to really get better. Although I’ve not seen it completely cure cross-firing.

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
ZZT & Phil, I know a higher POI for trap is good. I've been working on that a lot lately. But I'm curios to how it would help cross-firing? I mean, your still lookin' over the same barrel - whether it's shooting a little high or high or pretty high...
What's your theory? I'm interested !

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have been trying higher, which from my past experience is what I assumed the answer would be as well, I was supposed to have a spot in a Clinic in June but who knows if that will happen know.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts