Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
Perazzi MX2000 31.5/34 combo with a prosoft
1,512 Posts
Unsingle. Less obstruction for me. Can look through the rib somewhat. I’ve shot both. Nowadays if I went back to a high rib top single, I might like it too. Some people can’t shoot unsingle or high rib. That’s what Phil Kiner always said about why he shot top. To each his own. Try them both and see what sticks.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
I shoot a K-80 TS Unsingle. It is a newer model, and I would say it has a fairly high rib, as Unsingles go. They are an acquired taste, and like anything different, they can take a while to get used too. I would agree with others that have posted here, that there is less heat distortion with this model gun. Being a recent convert to shooting one eyed, I really like the fact that looking down the rib, I really don’t see the actual barrel. Some negatives of most, newer, taller ribbed guns, is the fact that the rib itself is not soldered to the barrel, and could be damaged, if handled roughly. Having a taller rib, They have a larger profile, and can be harder to point in heavy winds. The taller rib, will require a higher combed stock, and in a nutshell, they are not very light, and some shooters of smaller size, may find them to be a little heavy by the end of the day. I find the extra heft a positive, as it tends to smooth out My swing. In theory, The Unsingle should have less recoil, but My reality is, that I can’t tell the diference between it and a Top Single. I had shot a Beretta top single before. I would not go back. One thing that needs to be taken into account, when We talk about Unsingles; It is important to note that there can be quite a bit of difference in rib heights on the various different models. I have not shot one, but the Browning XT’s and 725 Combos have a lower profile rib on Their Unsingles, that looks like a very good compromise between a really flat ribbed top single, and the K-80 Unsingle. As others have said, it really comes down to personal choice. The saying, “Try before You Buy”, comes to mind.

·
What squad am I on?
TriStar TT-15 Combo
8,419 Posts
725 Combos have a lower profile rib on Their Unsingles
Not all of them. The new(er) GU 725 combo has taller ribs on both barrels than all other 725's, which is why I own one.

To the OP: It's all about fit and how it moves. I feel much more control with an unsingle, especially during the shot vs a top single that feels like all hell's breaking loose when I pull the trigger.

But...

I have shot maybe one or two top singles that were pretty smooth and mild. Ljutic and KX6S. Both had tall ribs with roughly 80/20 taper which means stock ergonomics we're similar to a low profile unsingle. This is where (and why) the differences in felt recoil are mostly noticed.

So if you're trying to decide between a top vs unsingle you need to understand the geometry and ergonomics of proper fit for your preferred style of shooting.

·
Premium Member
Krieghoff K-80 standard trap (32"/34" unsingle) & Beretta ASE-90 (29 1/2" tubed set)
883 Posts
I "used" to shoot Winchester Diamond Grade guns, had a couple of their O/U's and (2) of their top-singles; then I got into Kreighoff's. Been an Unsingle guy since then !!! When you think about it, IF you were to shoot all your targets using your O/U, you would "most likely" be using your bottom barrel, to help keep the recoil lower in your shoulder pocket to lessen recoil. Now I shoot my Unsingle for Singles and Handicap events, so it's always the bottom barrel getting used. Out of a 300-target day, my top firing pin only gets used 50 times. Actually; I hope it gets used a "few" more times than that, meaning I made a shoot-off ! (LOL)

Just one person opinion; Mike* (MH*)

Side note: I sold all those Winchester DG models, but I wish I hadn't, they had some of the most awesome wood on them. The real figure in the wood was covered up my Winchester's use of mixing their finish and stain together, but I had a wood-guy here in town, and I had each gun totally stripped of their original finishes, and he put on a multi-layer polyurethane finish, and the final product was amazing. A couple of my "old" guns are still around this area and I see them every so ofter, and the they still look as great as when I (stupidly) sold them. MH*

·
5,679 Posts
I never felt/saw any real difference...

Going back to Mike's comment... shooting the bottom barrel of an O/U is essentially shooting an unsingle... I shot the Kx5 mid as well as other unsingle guns, but for some reason I just enjoy my 90T fixed rib which only comes in a top single format... I had an HPAR which was never adjusted...

When looking down the rib at a bird, I'm not seeing anything else underneath to distract me anyway...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Currently own both a low rib & high rib top singles for my beretta 680 series guns as well as an unsingle barrel. No matter which barrel I choose somewhat luckily I can effectively shoot either to my best potential or set a new personal record low with either of the 3.
That being said it’s really all about fit & POI - stocks all have same fit & all 3 shoot full pattern high

1 - 20 of 35 Posts