Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

In benchrest rifle competition they always publish the specifics of the rifle and ammunition used by the Top Twenty shooters. You can see which barrel maker, which action, which gunsmith, which scope, which bullet, which powder, etc.

For the groundhog and egg rifle shoots which are shot out to 500 yards it has been getting embarrassing. These have been won with 7 of the Top Ten using Savage factory rifles.

If we just look at the guns that the Top Twenty trap shooters use for singles and handicap at the Grand...

In rank order of appearance...

What would that list look like ?

Is this kind of information available for the Top Twenty trap shooters ?

·
Vendor
19,647 Posts
you can find that info in a Trap and Field. They have an annual feature that tells about the shooting stuff of the All-Americans. If yo do not have T & F, you should.

From Memory

Leo shoots a DT10 Beretta with a "Stock-Lock" type device

Harlan, a Custom engraved/Wenig stock K80

Ricky Marshall, a Seitz

Stafford, any Perazzi he wants to. Curtrently a TM9

Jerry Demulling, a MX2000

Just a few to get this started.

·
Banned
2,825 Posts
Jack, I thought Rick Marshall was shooting a K-80 Trap Special with 30" o/u barrels and a 34" unsingle. Did he recently go to a Seitz. I have been out of pocket for a while. Roy

·
Registered
32 Posts
Roy, pretty sure your right. When i watched him shot at the missouri fall hdcp, im sure he was shooting a k-80!!! not to say that he hasn't changed guns by now... Although 3 or 4 years ago, the last time i saw nora shooting she was using a seitz.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Perazzi does not sponsor any American shooters.. Krieghoff and Kolar do.. World wide.. The Perazzi dominates the winners circle.. but.. in Europe Perazzi does more for the shooter than they do here..

In Skeet shooting.. 3 time winner of the "World".. LP Gaimbrone shot a Krieghoff until Raggs made him a better deal.. Shooters at that leval can shoot anything and win.. It's all about who makes it the easiest. who picks up the most entry fee's.. etc..

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

"World wide.. The Perazzi dominates the winners circle"

Is the European version of trap sufficiently different from the common American version that it favors a different gun to win ?

In benchrest rifle shooting, the short range guns (less than 300 yards) are very different than the long range guns. In short range, the 6PPC dominates whereas I am not sure there are any long range shooters even using the 6PPC. In short range, the barrels are short and very thick and stiff. Long range shooters use much longer barrels to eek out the last margin of velocity.

·
Registered
347 Posts
leo harrison DT-10 Beretta top single

Harlan Campbell Jr K-80 trap special bottom single

Ray Stafford TM9X and MX2000 RS o/u perazzi

Richard Marshall K-80 Trap Special bottom single

Dave Kelly MX3 Perazzi top single

Sean Hawley K-80 trap special top single

Bob Munson MX2000 un single low ribbed version

Dave Shaeffer Jr seitx sbt and seitz o/u

Tank Lunsford MX2000/10 top single perazzi

Scott Gens MX15 unsingle with a over under add on, havent really looked close

Michael Blaisdell K-80 regular unsingle

Rich Bullard Jr i think, MX2000/10 top single perazzi

Stuart Welton K-80 standard

Phil Kiner K-80 Trap Special top single broke the 400s with his Perazzi though

Tim Reed MX10 top single perazzi

If you want to know anyone else I'm sure I'll at the least have a general idea of what they're shooting.

Tony Fortino

·
Registered
347 Posts
As they are a great gun, the combo set has come along, their sponsorship program probaly isn't as powerful as powerful as krieghoff's, and they are I guess you could say "out of style?"

But a couple argueable to be big guns that do shoot them would be William Sayles ljutic mono Gun #617 (old one, probaly 60's) and Jason Folvag ljutic Mono Gun Adj Rib

Tony Fortino

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

James Huskey,

What kind of Browning do you use ?

How close to factory original is it ?

Thank you for any thoughts you might share.

Hammer

·
Registered
577 Posts
Tony,

I don't think you can credit them all to Mr. Wilkinson, but it might be safe to suggest that they use Eyster, Allor, and Wilkinson to get an edge.

TNCoach

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Hammer, at the 2008 Beijing Olympics there were 15 total shotgunning medals in play, Perazzi took 11 of them. This has largely been the case for several decades.

As for international trap, the only similarity to ATA trap is that the targets are thrown going away from the shooter. All the other aspects like speed, angle, height, sequence, shots fired, etc. are all unique.

·
Banned
10,106 Posts
TNCoach conveniently forgot about Olympic gold medal winner Don Haldeman and his Krieghoff-with release triggers no less. Release triggers are an American made product that the foreign element bunker shooters are unable to understand!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.