Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a nice deal on Fed Top Gun target loads today and bought what was lift in the row ($5.24) When I got home I realized they has mixed 3 dram in behind the 2 3/4 on the shelf. Will I see much of a difference between the two? btw, I am used to shooting Rem gun club which are also 1200fps --same as the Fed 3 dram.

I mean, I will enjoy trying to see if I notice much difference, but will this change my leads, or just my perceived recoil? New to shooting trap, and still experimenting with the seemingly endless combinations. However, for future purchases is there a preference? (I shoot 16 singles)

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I mix the two types all the time.
I doubt you'll notice any difference.
I usually buy what is the least expensive.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Trigger shoot both and go from there. Don't base your shooting on someone else's opinion. Shoot whatever works best for you.

·
Banned
5,302 Posts
Shoot whatever is cheapest if the little bit of extra recoil doesn't bother you on the 3 drams. The extra fps at the target is totally immaterial. When I order, or order the slower shells because that extra speed is meaningless so why bother with it?

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
I mean, I will enjoy trying to see if I notice much difference, but will this change my leads, or just my perceived recoil?
One of the the biggest fairy tales in shotgun sports is "You have to change your lead...." The target's position is only a few INCHES different between two loads 50-100 fps different.

If you don't believe me do the math...I have.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
You may notice more recoil with the 3 dram shells -I do. As far as shooting them don't give it a second thought because what ever your mind perceives will become a focus point and you will miss targets as a result.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Very little difference at the 16yd line. One may hit harder than the other, neither should be cause for concern at that distance. IMHO

·
Registered
38 Posts
I buy these in 20 gauge quite often. We usually go between the Winchester super target and the federal top gun depending on what cases are available at bass pro. The top guns are great with very low recoil, and I doubt you'll notice a difference between the two. My wife prefers the 7.5 at 1200 FPS, but we reload the federal a with #8 at 1200 FPS and the wichesters with #8 at 1186. Absolutely no difference in score or felt recoil. We bought a case of top gun #9 and she did not like those much at all. Her scores dropped quite a bit shooting #9. She was still on the target, but it almost seemed like they wouldn't break a bird unless it was a direct hit.

My personal preference is for the Winchester super targets but that's purely from a reloader' standpoint. The Winchester hulls are better quality and have plastic basewad where the top gun are paper basewad and good for maybe three reloads.

I doubt you'll notice a difference in the velocity, and the recoil from the two are very similar. I am of the opinion any perceived difference in those two rounds would lie more in the shooter's head than in actual ballistics.

I would suggest hitting the pattern board with both rounds and see for yourself if there a difference in pattern and or recoil.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Same thing happened to me when the Top Guns were on sale here. I usually shoot Federal Top Gun 2 3/4 dram. I have been regularly shooting the three dram loads and do not notice any difference in recoil nor have I had to adjust my leads. Actually I was kind of surprised as I was expecting an noticeable difference in recoil

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Source: Leads Vs Speed
Real mathematical lead is simply a matter of crushing numbers. Naturally, I keep them all in my head. Not! Most of the stuff is in Lyman’s “Shotshell Reloading Handbook, 4th edition”. Just look up the time of flight to distance number for your particular pellet, distance and muzzle velocity and work the number against a 35 mph 90 degree crosser.

Example: a 1200 fps #7-1/2 pellet takes .139 seconds to go 40 yards. In that amount of time a target traveling 35 mph will have gone 7.1 feet. Lower your muzzle velocity to 1135 fps and the tables say that those pellets now take .145 seconds to go that 40 yards. A little calculation shows that the target will travel 7.4 feet in that time. This means that when you increase your speed from 1135 fps to 1200 fps, you will have to decrease your lead by .3 feet or 3.6 inches.
----------------------
Assuming you could actually aim 3.6" more or less, lets break this down futher for the trap field. Since that target is a 90 degree crossing target and there is 3.6" of lead difference you can assume the lead is roughly 1.8" with a 45 degree outgoing target and 0.9" lead at 22 degree off the house. The less the angle the less it matters left or right lead required.

So maybe in sporting clays with true crossing targets you would/could notice the difference but us mere mortals shooting trap will hardly notice a difference in lead. We may feel less recoil with some shells which could be a good thing.

In trap even if you shot thousand upon thousand of rounds to get so used to that particular load I'd doubt it would cause a problem unless you were shooting from the fence. At 16 yards after a while you will be killing the clays closer than 40 yards so the lead will be even less. Now in a competition shoot from the fence after shooting thousands of rounds a change in shot shell could matter but that's not what's being asked here. For mere mortals shooting short yardage it has little influence in trap.

Shooting the clay quicker out of the house will have a much bigger impact than any change in shot shell ever will (in trap).

Try some different loads and see what feels most comfortable to shoot but rest assured especially when you are new to Trap that the shell speed itself is the least of any problems you will have so don't fuss about it. :)

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
They will both work fine but you will notice more recoil with the heavier loads. If your older the recoil will be more noticeable. If you are young --not so much!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Recently I was in a good mood and decided to treat myself to a flat of Federal Papers. I wanted 2 3/4 dram loads. The flat box was labeled as being 2 3/4 dram, each box was labeled as being 2 3/4 dram so I walked up to my usual spot and started shooting. After a couple shots I thought to myself they were "thumpier" than I had remembered but targets were breaking and there's that aroma of a spent paper hull that takes me back to when I was a teenager. It wasn't until I was done and had grabbed a few out of my hull bag I noticed all the hulls were marked as being 3 dram. I'm still not sure which was correct, the boxes or the hulls. If you notice anything different it will be so slight as to be meaningless. Shoot them and have fun.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts