Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to go shooting this evening. Right now it is 89 degrees.
I shoot in a league tomorrow. It is going to be about the same temperature.
So tonight I think I'll stay home and enjoy the air conditioner.
So guys how hot is too hot for you too shoot when it is just casual shooting?
Bud

·
Banned
495 Posts
Bud,
When it gets down to 89 degrees here, we must put on our shooting coats. You must be tough to shoot when it is that cold. When it gets to 110 degrees in AZ. we all go out to shoot and play in the sun. Roger C.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Bud,
When it gets down to 89 degrees here, we must put on our shooting coats. You must be tough to shoot when it is that cold. When it gets to 110 degrees in AZ. we all go out to shoot and play in the sun. Roger C.
Roger,

You need to do a search for the guy looking for tournaments in AZ during the summer and invite him to shoot with you at your clubs tournament. :icon_wink::icon_biggrin::icon_lol:

Jason

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
It was 93 at Ben Avery this morning at 8:00. Would probably sit out Friday ;)

Reactions: mikey357

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
If it's just casual, probably 105° or thereabouts. This time of year here in Ks. it's quite common for it to be in mid to upper 90's yet in the evening and it's not uncommon to be in low 100's in early evening.

·
Registered
791 Posts
My bro-in-law (from Phoenix, or Pa-Ho-Nix) always says it's a dry heat. Right. Just seems hot to me.
Around here we wear our air. I don't mind shooting in the heat, even practice. Except when my shooting glasses fog up and get sweat covered :)
Makes the beer taste better afterwards.
George

·
Premium Member
4,387 Posts
I don`t shoot very well in the summertime and here is why .When I get out in the heat and the sun I get hot .When I get hot I start sweating . When I start sweating I start smelling bacon . When I start smelling bacon my stomach starts growling . When my stomach growls I`m hungry . How the hell can you shoot good when you are hungry ?

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
My bro-in-law (from Phoenix, or Pa-Ho-Nix) always says it's a dry heat
Yeah, so is a oven................................used to be able to tolerate the heat when I was younger. At 67, I find the heat, and especially the more intense sun knocks me for a loop fairly quickly. When it is stinken hot, I lose my enjoyment for shooting. Tomorrow evening is supposed to be in the high 80's here and I believe I will pass

·
Registered
239 Posts
Round of sporting clays this weekend. Thermometer topping out around 99 here in South Carolina. Not too bad in the shade. Much better to get out early in the day, beat the heat

·
Registered
791 Posts
Rottiman, I do agree with you on recovery.
Although I can shoot in the heat, it does take a toll.
After a hot practice, I usually down a couple of Gatorades and take a couple of hours to get my drive back.
I'm 60 and overweight. A little tougher every year.
It's hard to keep the concentration up in the heat. Especially stations 2 and 3. Probably get lax thinking those stations are easier. Not!
George

·
Sleep...What’s That?
419 Posts
My friends think I'm crazy but when it gets above 80 I would rather shoot in snow.
Bud
You and me both! At least where high humidity exists.

Shooting in Utah, Arizona and other low humidity areas I'm good to about 110 degrees. Here in Kansas during the July 4th we had 98 degrees with 97 percent relative humidity...that's a feels like 176 degrees heat index. I have spent some time in foreign sandboxes that have hit 120 degrees plus...did not feel near as hot as my own backyard in Kansas! Humidity under 40 percent is the ticket to comfort!

Reactions: Roger C

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
If you are too hot, you should have been in Helena for our State Shoot.
When I left there on Monday morning it was low 40's

Rick in MT

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
Here you go fellas. Feel better? :)

·
Sleep...What’s That?
419 Posts
If you are too hot, you should have been in Helena for our State Shoot.
When I left there on Monday morning it was low 40's

Rick in MT
Hey that's light jacket weather...Perfect for a shoot!

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Shooting in Utah, Arizona and other low humidity areas I'm good to about 110 degrees. Here in Kansas during the July 4th we had 98 degrees with 97 percent relative humidity...that's a feels like 176 degrees heat index. I have spent some time in foreign sandboxes that have hit 120 degrees plus...did not feel near as hot as my own backyard in Kansas! Humidity under 40 percent is the ticket to comfort!
Amen to that! There used to be billboards all over Savannah, GA during summer, the purpose of which were to attempt to get folks to turn up their thermostats from low 70's up to mid-70's. This was during an "energy crisis". Probably the billboards were posted by Georgia Power Co. and probably they were all over the state of Georgia, but I was only in Savannah, so don't know about that.

The billboards read: "It's not the heat; it's the humidity".

Actually, it's a combination of both - as TinyL so clearly and correctly points out.
Humidity makes such a difference in the ability of a human being to withstand higher temps.

Some poor devil from Tuscon, AZ might wilt in Bay St. Louis, Mississippi.

Tomas Federico Baca

1 - 20 of 26 Posts