Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today

There was a GREAT thread about nostalgia and what we all miss about days past. However, perhaps we can start a thread about what we appreciate about our world today compared to times past and what we are thankful for that was not in our world prior to, for an arbitrary point, 1970.

I'll start: Very accurate watches for under $30.0, safer automobiles, high tech medical advances seen in eye surgery and in orthopedic surgery, improved energy efficiency in homes, and information (albeit sometimes misinformation) at one's fingertips via the internet.

·
Supporting Vendor
9,965 Posts
Cat trees.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Tronspace/media/002_zpsdd08aa5b.jpg.html" target="_blank">
002_zpsdd08aa5b.jpg.gif
</a>

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
Flat screen TV's- You can move them with one person. You don't need six men to move the old console or 32inch tube TV's.

DVD's- good bye reel,beta, and vhs tapes.

Smart phones- I never have to remember another phone number

GPS- I never have to listen to my wife tell me I am lost again! I never could fold those damn paper maps back correctly.

Microwave ovens- Hot food or beverage in less than 1 minute.

·
Registered
20,319 Posts
Safer automobiles? At what price? I would make a wager that any of today's $30K Automobiles would just flat destroy themselves in a crash into the rear of a 1951 Studebaker Champion at 45 MPH and that the Studebaker would suffer a broken tail light assembly and some paint scratches.

The medicval care we have today and the medicines we have today are certainly worthy of mention. The average trigger puller on the battlefield has as part of his combat loadout medical stuff that not only didn't exist in 1970 it is damn advanced from 1990. Better energy efficiency in homes? Depends on what you mean. Better insulation? Maybe lighter but it has been a builders statement for a Looooong time that we can build you a home that you can keep warm with a candle but you people insist on being able to see out and enter and leave without elaborate proceedures and so you make us bore holes in the tight house. Houses in 1900 used a LOT less energy than the most energy efficient house today. Houses were 'naturally aspirated' for cooling and heat was sketchy and localized. Light was by windows and lamps. No Tee Vee, no Radio, no refrigerator, no freezer, no electricity at all in the average house. So

Just saying that newer is not always better in every way. Our modern 'improvements' and 'efficiencies' come at a steep price.

Don T

Don T

·
Banned
4,725 Posts
Hybrid cars. We have a 2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid (our 3rd hybrid) that gets 40mpg on the highway and I still receive speeding tickets.

blade819

·
Registered
329 Posts
Don T, That's what new cars do, fold up like accordions so the passengers don't take a beating. I had a guy say "They don't make 'em like they used to" and my reply is "Good thing". I worked in an automotive machine shop in the 70s-early 80s and did A LOT of valve jobs and engine rebuilding on engines with 1/2 the miles these newer cars have on them. If anyone has to touch an engine before 100K on it now they think they got a lemon.

As for modern medicine, I'm thankful every day I'm not wearing my old coke bottle glasses. Cancer is no longer a death sentence.

By far the biggest advancement in today's world is communications. Be it cell phones or computers.

Reminisce all you want about the "good old days", I'll take all today's modern conveniences.

Joe

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Modern racing cars, Indy/F1. Turn the car into a pile of rubble and the driver walks away. Old Indy roadsters were hardly dented , but the Driver was dead or badly injured.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
When I was a kid my dad would need a new set of tires after 20,000 miles. Once he only got 9,000 on a set of Firestones. Now if I don't get 60-70,000 miles on a set I'm not happy. Also a car was pretty well shot at 75,000. I have 303,000 on my '94 Suburban and it still runs great, and doesn't use any oil between changes.

Remember the old days before computers or even those with 5 1/4" floppy disks? The average smart phone now has far more computing power than those used to put man on the moon, either onboard or in Mission Control.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
The number one modern invention "The Remote Control"

Others to mention, smart phones, email, at your finger tip info on any subject, GPS, Microwave ovens, safe comfortable transcontinental aircraft, modern medicine, liposcopic surgery techniques, dentistry, 150,000 to 200,000 miles before tune ups on vehicles, ability to drive coast to coast on great highways,4 wheel drive vehicles that are comfortable to drive long distance,etc etc etc.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
The french fries at Burger King. They finally went back to crinkle cuts like the '60s, and they no longer sell those pieces of batter dipped cardboard.

Bob Falfa

·
Molon Labe
11,993 Posts
I guess it would be the efficiency of the American workers, they are at an all time high of supporting the lifestyles of the non working

·
Thorn in your side
8,112 Posts
Not to bring up an "old" thread...but I am

Hey Dukefan, where was that GPS when we were on the way to the Fall Handicap last year??? Hmmmmm

·
Premium Member
18,854 Posts
What Tron and Ahab said. LOL. Alot of the new stuff I don't know how to use, like GPS. I can do basic email stuff, type a letter, look up various things, and that is all I need. These new pickups are comfortable, alot more than those old 70's Fords that were 4 ft. off the ground. I sure miss the lifters ticking, but my diesel makes enough noise anyway.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts