Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love Toad in the Hole. Like good beer, it comes from the UK and is delicious. Here's the recipe I use:

1. First mix up a batch of Yorkshire pudding. Flour, eggs and milk with a pinch of salt. Fluff the eggs well and fold in. It should look like pancake batter. Heat the oven to 450 and move on to the next step.
2. Brown some good English Bangers in a heavy square pan using some bacon grease. Get them nice and brown on the outside. Now set them aside.
3. Leaving the grease behind, smear it all over the inside of the pan coating the sides well. Set it in the oven.
4. When the pan is hot enough to smoke, remove from the oven and set on the stove. Add the pudding mix and spread evenly.
5. Place the sausages side by side with some space between them right on top of the pudding mix. Then put the whole thing in the oven and turn the heat down to 350.
6. It will bake about 20 minutes. While you are waiting do the following:
i. dice one large onion into .25" cubes.
ii. In a small sauce pan, melt 3 tbls of good butter. Add the onions and cook until brown. Light brown here guys, not Cajun style.
iii. Add two tbls of flour and stir until the flower browns. This is key, anything less than toasty brown will taste like flour and that is to be avoided at all costs.
iv. Add one pint of good English beer or ale. Cook until thickened.
7. When your pudding is brown and crusty all across the top (crusty is key) remove and set on a pad.
8. Pour the onion gravy over the top evenly.
9. Cut into squares and serve with a pint of beer.

This is good stuff.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts