Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
K-80 K-20 Perazzi A400
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was planning to start a new winter league this year. I am holding off because of the lack of ammunition. I see some shooters around, but hear them talking about not having enough ammo to add anything new, some have cut back to one league when they used to shoot a few. I figure it might be better to try next winter, and not have it fail the first time through. How are you guys doing on ammo, components? Is it the same everywhere?

·
5,691 Posts
Approach your shooter pool and pole the group for their vote... you might find a surprise.

What is the format you're considering... can the format be modified for the first year?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Shoot the league if you got the shells now. If you don't have enough for the entire league keep looking for a few boxes at a time. If you run out of shells mid league so be it. never know what the future will hold . I am not holding back on shooting due to lack of shells . Next shoot could be my last one for many unfortunate reasons.

·
Keystone Shooter
2,375 Posts
I was contemplating shooting a small winter league 25 birds a week. But rethought it again. I may poll my regular shooters, who shot the summer league and get their opinion. Our problem is the same as everyone else, the shell shortage. We’ll see.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You may consider having the league. My small club is on it's 4th league for this year. We just finished a 5 Stand league. I was concerned people wouldn't show due to shortages. We where pleasantly surprised to see the same attendance numbers as last spring. Last year this club threw a record number of rounds and we are on pace to match it this year.

·
What squad am I on?
TriStar TT-15 Combo
8,424 Posts
If interest is there but shells are a roadblock, you might offer a mini league.

Keep the traps open for practice that way the guys that want to shoot more, can. Then run the league shooting 10 singles and 15 from handicap. We've done it at our small club and I really liked it.

·
5,691 Posts
If interest is there but shells are a roadblock, you might offer a mini league... run the league shooting 10 singles and 15 from handicap. We've done it at our small club and I really liked it.
Dovetailing on Wadhopper's post, we would shoot mini-doubles to save on shells... we'd throw 2 pair on 1, 3 and 5 with 3 pair thrown on 2 and 4... 12 pair, leaving a spare... also a great way to shoot a quick warm up for doubles...

·
Registered
8,464 Posts
Is there any way to poll the "membership"? What is the weather like? You're looking at a tough job regardless of the turnout. When I was a lot younger we'd shoot year around, a handwarmer in each glove, sleet bouncing off the barrel....we musta been crazy. 🥶

Try polling, it might come in handy. I was reading the Town Council minutes for the town I live near. The Mayor asked the Police Chief for a report on his Neighborhood Watch program. The Chief said he'd had 1 person respond. 🥺

Bob Falfa

·
Registered
67 Posts
We have five seven week leagues yearly and have seen a drop off on number of shooters. Have a few drop out do to lack of ammo, but most want to shoot. We'll see how much interest there is for our up coming infamous Ironman league (not regular trap) this January which is our typically lowest turn-out. I just need to decide minimum number of shooters to hold a league. Thinking around ten.

·
Administrator
8,823 Posts
I would suggest starting a league this year.

1. You can establish a format and work out the bugs with a smaller number of shooters.
2.Hopefully bring new shooters to the fold sooner rather than try to get their attention later.
3.Use a limited target format that can be expanded to suit yours and your customers needs as ammunition becomes more available.
4.If we all just stop making the effort then we will see shrinkage that we really will have trouble recovering from.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I was contemplating shooting a small winter league 25 birds a week. But rethought it again. I may poll my regular shooters, who shot the summer league and get their opinion. Our problem is the same as everyone else, the shell shortage. We’ll see.
Nearest place for to shoot trap is 25 miles each way I’m not going to drive that far for 25 birds.
I respect what your trying to do but not worth the cost or time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts