Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dr, Longshot or Gary. First, let me say that I do not disagree with EVERYTHING you post as some seem to do. Now to the business. Can you explain why you are so adamant about making trap shooting harder? I sort of agree and base my feeling on skeet. Instead of making the game harder by target delay, American station rotation instead of European that takes out the really soft targets, etc. the game has evolved to a point where you cannot win a skeet shoot. You shoot skeet to get to a doubles shoot off to be declared a winner. AND the doubles shoot off format is not part of the regular skeet program. I have a friend who has run 1,000 straight with a 20ga and will not shoot in rain, wind, or any field that he has not done well on. I think that this is b.s. but understand his personal goal.
My confusion is this. personally I would make it harder but I understand people who want to shoot and maintain high averages. I do not see that as wrong, just different from my feelings. And I can't see where either way of thinking would bring or dismiss more shooters to the sport. If you will, please share your view. This is not a troll and I am honest in my questioning. Reply to a personal mail if you don't want to start a war.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Are you kidding me? . . . . Dr. Longshot isn't afraid of starting a war or what anyone thinks of him. You can tell that from his threads and posts. :)

Well my pot stirring is done for the day.

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Uh, Longshot, there IS a tougher trap game. It's called bunker.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
If not satisfied with the game you don't have to shoot American skeet or American trap.

Just like playing cards, there are games for everyone at all skill levels. If spades is no longer a challenge, move on to single deck pinochle, then double deck pinochle or go play Texas Holdem for a serious money game.

You may wish to shoot International Skeet, Wobble Trap, Bunker Trap, Doubles Bunker Trap, 5-Stand, Sporting Clays, FITASC.

Something for everyone, you just need to be willing to move on...

·
Registered
121 Posts
I would like to step in here and make a statement. With today's technology of better trap guns and better more consistent shells why make targets easier?if higher averages are the reason isn't that like giving all the kids on a football team a trophy because they were on the team?no one likes to shoot poor scores,nor do I but I don't want to make it easier just to have a higher avg either. Kinda like cheating at solitaire or any other sport. It takes dedication and drive to better yourself.i think Lewis option should be geared to the avg shooters so they will have some compensation to offset shooting costs,that's what would keep the sport alive. This is not a cheap sport and any compensation in $$$$ will help.the other options the better shooters can win. Just my opinion..making a game easier doesn't make it better as a whole.

·
Vendor
19,391 Posts
atashtr. It appears that you likely do not know how options work. You have to pay to play and Lewis pays little except to the high gun. You can be lucky at Lewis, but most just donate.

·
Registered
16,616 Posts
Making it harder would discourage new blood that is desperately needed in this sport.

I teach new shooters all the time, some young, some old. I have no problem with making the 3 hole target the standard once more, and I think the reason it was abanconed is total stupidity.

But that's as far as it goes. If you find singles boring, go shoot bunker.

You can see how popular a "hard" game is by the number of facilities there are.

but around here we have trap shooting opportunities galore.

It's trap. American trap. Leave it alone.

HM

·
Registered
121 Posts
Jack yes I'm saying to modify the Lewis back to 50/30/20 x3 classes as I believe it used to be just a few years ago. 60/40 high gun is geared to the better shooters.lets face it with the economy the way it is it's gonna take$ to keep the shooters we have. 25 cent trophies won't cut it,adding more categories for winners is also like giving a trophy to the kid who didn't earn one.just my opinion.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
to each, his own! I think what he's saying is that the American games have gone from a combination of gun pointing skills and mental discipline to almost completely powers of concentration. The same can be said of sporting and to a lesser degree of FITASC sporting. It's human nature to want to feel good about yourself and what you're doing.

However the international games change the rules when scores get too high, and live bird competitions are unchanged, plenty tough the way they are, except in number of birds thrown to separate winners from losers.

Something for everyone, the last thing shooters need is division in the ranks!

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Oh, I love these threads....... and I like Longshot (except for his deprvaved lust for young, Asian girls - and other kinky stuff). I rarely agree with him about anything. However, I love the way he stands his ground, even when the odds are 100 to 1. Totally cool.
M.D.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
When I started to shoot trap you had the 3 hole target. They then changed it to the 2 hole target. WHY? To make it easier for the people who can't shoot.

To me thats like putting a tire on a chain and having the running back drag it behind him while carring the ball so the other team can catch him easier.

We are loosing the ability to deal with losing and the drive to do better in life.

Did you hear about the football coach who was fined $200 for kicking the hell out of the other team who couldn't play football? To me thats wrong.

Schools are making things easier for kids so they aren't feeling like losers. So they aren't humiliated. So what are they going to do in life when they have someone die, or their girlfriend or boyfriend drops them? They get fired and so on. They all need to learn to deal with things. Sports is always a good way to learn how to deal with things. Don't make it easier but make it harder so they have to learn to do better. Thats life.

·
Registered
863 Posts
In the last 40 years there have been two major changes to the sport that have made it easier to break targets.

One was driven by technology (voice calls) and the second (the change to the 2-hole target) by a BOD that either didn't understand the sport was supposed to be hard, or were too wrapped up in politics to care.

You can compensate for technology changes but stupid changes need to be reversed.

Jerry Hauser

·
Registered
8,332 Posts
Remember the first time you stumbled onto a trap club that threw Champion targets? Were you anxious to return?

I believe it was '99?, Vandalia threw those rubber Remington targets that started showing up in the urinals out back of the signup shed, some with 6 or 7 holes in them. I don't remember any real demand for a return engagement by the membership.

Bob Falfa

·
Premium Member
2,301 Posts
I can see it now....... change back to 3 hole, revert back to some different shot/velocity standard and go to shooting.... Then at some point the screams and whining to go back to 2 hole and different ammunition would be what we will be reading.
ATA or PITA, go through them and set the standard and then get on with the games, the good will still be good, the average will still shoot.. Larry

·
Banned
10,106 Posts
"Why isn't everyone an All-American"? Because in this sport, like all others, most people stink regardless of which hole the targets are set in. The stinkers wouldn't know which hole they were set except that a few angles would appear to be wider.

The biggest crybabies are wannabees who like to see their name on top with the big dogs but are afraid to be taken out of the picture with a tougher target!!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Roger, you should buy a case each of Champion and White Flyer targets at
Academy and shoot em in the back yard. You'll find a few unbroken White Flyers
with two or three holes in them but there will be a bunch more Champions with one to six or more holes,that still intact. They don't break unless they are hit hard. I don't think enough spin can be put on them to make them come apart unless they are centered. We won't buy them if White Flyers are available.

·
Banned
10,106 Posts
Roger, thanks for the accolade. I'm patiently waiting for a few wannabees to respond to that post. Of course, that's unlikely as they'll expose their identity!!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts