Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a call from a rancher yesterday saying he saw 5 coyotes on a short drive within 2 miles of his house.

So today at 6:00 pm I headed out to his ranch that is about 8 miles from my house. It was 93 degrees when I got out of the truck to do the first stand.

I took my 223 AI Tikka because it is lighter than my 22-250 and my 243 Win. It sure seems like my 22-250 and my 243 Win weigh more each year as I am getting older. LOL

On the first stand I was in some hills with grass on them, no rocks or cover. I set my X-Wave out about 40 yards in front of me and started playing Adult Rat on full volume.

After 4 or 5 minutes I saw a coyote heading down a hill about 150 yards away and it was heading towards my X-Wave. The coyote stopped about 80 yards away to look at the decoy on my X-Wave so I put a 40 gr Nosler Lead Free Varmint bullet just behind the male coyotes shoulder. He ran about 30 yards and fell over.

About 5 minutes later I saw something moving on the hill top to my left, it was another coyote. It was hard to see because the sun was just above the coyote.

I switched from Adult Rat on full blast to Vole Squeaks on half volume. I lost the coyote in the deep grass looking towards the sun.

A few minutes later I saw the small coyote pup down towards the base of the hill only about 100 yards away. It was moving through the grass and then stopped in some shorter grass so I shot it.

It took me a while to find the coyote pup laying in the grass. The male coyote was quite a bit bigger and heavier than he looked through my scope.
IMG_7419 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/, on Flickr

I did one more stand but didn't call anything in. It was to hot for me this evening but the evenings should be getting cooler in the next two to four weeks.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Been hot here also. Saw 2 of them laying in the shallow water of a pond the other day around noon. They must have been chasing something because they had their tongues out and were panting so hard the water was rippling from around them. I was able to give one of them eternal membership to the big water hole up above. I splashed water 3 times at the other one as it ran across the neck of the pond. Coyotes have been getting more vocal around here the week or 2 just as the sun is rising or setting. Lots of young trying out their howls and yipps. It's pretty comical to hear one almost make it through a good howl and then suddenly hit 3 different octaves.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,414 Posts
Good report Bob. You're right about things getting heavier as we grow older. Getting to be a real pain.

Bob Falfa

·
Registered
368 Posts
Bob,
Do you have a set sequence of calls that you use at different times of the year? Do you start with coyote vocals or prey calls.
In southern Maryland where I live coyotes are starting to take hold pretty well. Between daytime calling and trapping I have killed about 20 in the last two years. Not alot, but we do not have them thick here yet.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't use set sequences because I don't want the sound to change if I have a coyote heading my way. It is very easy to switch sounds with the remote when you want to change sounds so I don't use sequences.

I don't start out my calling stands with coyote vocals because quite a few coyotes do not want to confront other coyotes.

If I hear coyotes calling or challenge me I do challenge them back. Around here coyotes challenge me fairly often right after I start using rabbit, rodent or bird distress sounds. I have Male Coyote Challenge 4 sound as one of my pre-set sounds set on full volume so I can instantly challenge back to the coyote that just challenged me. Instantly challenging them back really ticks them off!

If you get challenged back and the the challenging coyote goes silent there is a good chance that coyote is heading your way. If he just keeps challenging you, switch to coyote growls or fight sounds and pup distress sounds to get the coyote or coyotes to come in. Just playing these sounds for 10 seconds or so and then switching to another sound for 10 seconds, I am trying to make it sound like the biggest coyote fight they have ever heard.

If a coyote is challenging you off in the distance but won't come in, get 1/4 mile to 1/2 mile closer without being seen or heard and challenge them again.

I do use more coyote vocal sounds in December, January and February. During these 3 months I use Pup Distress 3 and the Male Challenge 4 sound towards the end of my calling stands most of the time.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I don't use set sequences because I don't want the sound to change if I have a coyote heading my way. It is very easy to switch sounds with the remote when you want to change sounds so I don't use sequences.

I don't start out my calling stands with coyote vocals because quite a few coyotes do not want to confront other coyotes.

If I hear coyotes calling or challenge me I do challenge them back. Around here coyotes challenge me fairly often right after I start using rabbit, rodent or bird distress sounds. I have Male Coyote Challenge 4 sound as one of my pre-set sounds set on full volume so I can instantly challenge back to the coyote that just challenged me. Instantly challenging them back really ticks them off!

If you get challenged back and the the challenging coyote goes silent there is a good chance that coyote is heading your way. If he just keeps challenging you, switch to coyote growls or fight sounds and pup distress sounds to get the coyote or coyotes to come in. Just playing these sounds for 10 seconds or so and then switching to another sound for 10 seconds, I am trying to make it sound like the biggest coyote fight they have ever heard.

If a coyote is challenging you off in the distance but won't come in, get 1/4 mile to 1/2 mile closer without being seen or heard and challenge them again.

I do use more coyote vocal sounds in December, January and February. During these 3 months I use Pup Distress 3 and the Male Challenge 4 sound towards the end of my calling stands most of the time.

Good luck!
Are electronic call legal in California? Obviously they are under certain conditions, but I was tol a couple of years ago that I can not use them. I guess I could get off my lazy ass and check Fish and Game, just looking for some advice. I have a moving rabbit decoy, do you ever use them? P.s. I’m hunting around Mt. Hamilton in Santa Clara county and have killed a few but would like hunt more varmits after the fire and let the game birds recover.

thanks, Mike

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nongame birds and nongame mammals may be taken in any manner except as follows:
  • (a) Poison may not be used.
  • (b) Recorded or electrically amplified bird or mammal calls or sounds or recorded or electrically amplified imitations of bird or mammal calls or sounds may not be used to take any nongame bird or nongame mammal except coyotes, bobcats, American crows and starlings.
I copied and pasted the above from the California Fish and Wildlife hunting regulations. Bobcats are not legal to hunt now in California as of Jan 1st, 2020.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Nongame birds and nongame mammals may be taken in any manner except as follows:
  • (a) Poison may not be used.
  • (b) Recorded or electrically amplified bird or mammal calls or sounds or recorded or electrically amplified imitations of bird or mammal calls or sounds may not be used to take any nongame bird or nongame mammal except coyotes, bobcats, American crows and starlings.
I copied and pasted the above from the California Fish and Wildlife hunting regulations. Bobcats are not legal to hunt now in California as of Jan 1st, 2020.
Thank you!! My coyote calling seems to be more of a warning call to coyote. I will buy an electronic call this wee. Thank you again.

mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts