Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have had the idea to get my Blaser Super Trap Engraved for a while. I have the standard F3 Super Trap with the plain black finish. Because I really like the gun I was thinking of having it engraved with either some American or English Scoll or possibly oak leaves. I am on the fence about 50% coverage or full coverage. In addition I was thinking of having some aniamls inlayed into it. While I am on the fence about it I think it would be a one of kind item. The engraver I am having do it is a well known engraver who does some outstanding work on firearems.

·
Registered
613 Posts
My experience with engraving has been financially rewarding. A known engraver working on a quality firearm will greatly improve it's value. Well worth the wait.

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
I have been in the gun business for a long time. If you ever sell the gun, you will likely take a bath. Very few domestic engravers, if any, can touch the European masters in skill and resale value.

Why not trade the receiver in for a higher grade factory rig?

Super Dave at Texas Premier Sporting Arms can help you out. John Wiggins, AKA brdslayr, is a regular here. He can help as well.

I lucked out on a Luxus demo from Super Dave, got a heckuva deal (STOLE IT), along with upgraded stock and extra barrel.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
If you decided to have the engraving done, be sure and examine the quality of the animals the engraver does. A lot of engravers can provide passable scroll etc, but when it come to animals, birds, and other fauna they end up looking like a grade school renditions. Don't expect to get your money back...

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Answer this question? What do oak leaves do for you? For anybody else?
English scroll on a German gun?
These are all things that make a difference when it comes time to sell. Choose wisely or plan on making something that you love and the resale be damned! There is no such thing as good cheap engraving. Jeff

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm,
All good points, I will have to ask Blaser if that is the case. I know that generally holds true with krieghoff etc. I know the european engravers are fantastic.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I'd shy away form the Diana Goddess of the hunt theme....especially if Diana is thick throught the midsection and has cankles!!!!!!!! :)

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Taxi, Has it Right...Graver Slides across Like ICE..CANNOT be DONE..They are in Control of Their Market Share of HIGH GRADE GUNS. Shoot Well..Shoot Often with Family and or Good Friends, Merry Christmas. Bart

·
Banned
2,644 Posts
That noise about American engravers is pure poop.

All you have to do is catch the Engravers Guild show and you will know instantly that there are more than a few American engravers that are as good as there is. Few people have any knowledge of the names of the "best" engravers so name doesn't really carry that much weight.

And I have seen some work by a couple Big Names that I wouldn't walk across the street for. In fact there are a couple Big Names that would have to struggle to get accepted into the Engravers Guild far as I'm concerned.

check it out - link above

·
Registered
685 Posts
semper is right on with his statement. go to the site and check out ron smiths work he is the baddest in the valley. the multi colored gold flush inlays says it all. thnks and have a great day howard

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
After owning shotguns engraved by Gerhard Reich and Giancarlo Badillini, I do not see their level of skill on that site.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder". YMMV

I will stand by my advice, which is to buy a factory engraved receiver and iron. Resale is not important until you decide to sell it, or trade up.

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
Engraving? Does it make the gun shoot any better? I wouldn't give a nickel more for an engraved gun. They are only art if your a collector. Most people never get their money back for engraving. One has to have it done for their own enjoyment, not to make a buck out of it.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I've been there and done that. First I was pleased with the outcome. Second, if you pay a fair fee for the engraving you probably will lose money if you have to sell it.

Someone with more passion than brains HAS to fall in love with your shotgun and specific engraving pattern and be willing to pay top dollar to get it Now. That is a very narrow market.

Next the engraver has to have the knowledge and skill to anneal then re heat treat the receiver after finishing - or know whom to send it to.

Third, unless you personally know how to strip your receiver and send just the receiver, you will have extra $$$ invested, along with the anneal/heat treat process...

If not a coin finish for English scroll or Bulino style game scene, you will also have to pay for re-bluing your shotgun..

If $$ is not an issue - ignore everything I said but do look at several samples of your selected engraver - and don't assume he can do 'everything'.. Fabbri and Perazzi for example have a suite of engravers that do Scroll and Rose and Scroll - others do deep chisel and others still do Bulino style game scene. A FEW like Fracasi, Pedretti, Brown, etc can do them all but bring your Jumbo CD and get in line for 2020.

Regards,

Bill

·
Registered
406 Posts
I have had a P-gun engraved after market. It was by another manufacturer's engraver. It is full coverage scroll with a French gray finish. It is beautiful and unique. My plan is to have my heirs worry about resale. I have seen some amateurish work by some members of so called guilds. If one may join a guild by nominating himself with his checkbook, you don't need to put value on the membership. I have seen some wonderful engraving on some very high end guns. When you look at bird engravings, look at the feet. If the feet are well done, chances are you are looking at good work. No feet, pass.

·
Banned
49 Posts
First I would like to say that I am an engraver and also an avid shooter. The comments that I have read here is a slap in the face for american engravers, a-shame on you.
I would doubt that there are many here if any that can judge the finer points of a properly laid out and executed engraving.
That being said let me say in my opinion, that well designed and executed engraving should always increase the value of the piece if it doesn't then it is not "Well Done"
Getting back to american engravers the true masters that reside in the good ole USA have no equals and truly are on the same level as any other engravers on any continent. Most of the American masters have trained with and swapped styles and stories with their European brothers and sisters.
So I would say this to your quest to have a firearm engraved figure out what you like and find an engraver that can present you with a design that achieves and surpasses your exceptions and you will have a work of art that you can be proud to show and pass on.
Cheers to all ZZ

·
Registered
965 Posts
ZZ - your points about being able to find quality engravers in the US is of course correct.

The question of 'value' for aftermarket engraving is always subject to debate. Good engraving should always raise the value - using Standard Grade Perazzi to SC3 is an illustration. The point is if you do after market high quality English scroll on your New Standard it will not bring (usually) the same price as the New SC3 from the factory for reasons I stated above.

The ultimate 'value' is the sense of pride that the custom engraving brings to the owner - not improving resale value over purchase price and average cost of high quality engraving.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts