Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've been there several times. The shoot is well run, they throw good targets, friendly folks and the food is good. Plus there's lots to do in Nashville.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Im going to offer another opinion. The disclaimer is I am from the North and not the South.

I have been to TN state shoot the past two years. In that time I have never seen one event start on time. They are always "fixin" to get started. They also shoot all 100 from the same trap. And the guys like to talk about the last 25 as long as it took to shoot the last 25 before they shoot the next 25. Shooting the Saturday singles which starts at a posted 9am but is pretty much when they get around to it, will take you to 7pm. I have not been there with less than a 4 hr wait in between 100s.

Sunday is the same thing. If you are out of there by 6pm you are doing OK. That gets me home around 3am. I am not going back this year.

Most of the traps also shoot over a valley if that messes you up or not.

The plus side is the river is cool to watch the barges, and the people are friendly.

·
Well known trouble maker
3,217 Posts
You might say I have one foot in the north and the other foot in the south, I live eight miles from the Ohio river that separates the two. Like all the others who dwell in this area, we shoot all the time in the north (Ohio) and the south (Kentucky) on a weekly basis. This is my disclaimer.

My club is blessed with some really good shooters, even an all american. Two of our best travel to a new (to them) state shoot destination every year, it is like a vacation for them to a place they have never been. Last year it was the Tennessee State Shoot.

To put things in perspective, they also went to the Wisconsin State Shoot when held at the HomeGrounds for the first time. The Wisc shoot had little to no amenities, no buildings and was little more than some really nice traps in a cleared area. Heck, they even had to stop one of the events due to a sand storm! These two guys loved the place. They had a ball.

We were at the Ky state shoot year before last for the great flood and mud bath. These guys had nothing but praise for the shoot. That is the type of guys they are. They seldom if ever criticize anyone or anything. That is until you bring up the Tennessee State Shoot.

They completely echo the comments of the poster above. These 27 yard shooters say that the event was the worst run state shoot they have attended, and these two guys go every where! They had praise for the facility, said the targets and background were great and the place had charm and a great view. They also said the folks were gracious and epitomized what you have come to know as "Southern Hospitality." But the shoot experience itself was described as "Amateur Hour" and woefully unorganized.

While describing their experience back at the club, the following statement best sums up their feelings.

"I have never been to a state shoot that didn't sell Tee Shirts commemorating the event" said the one shooter.

"Now you know why" replied the other.

·
Registered
8,547 Posts
Thanks for the comment about the KY flood state shoot, even some of our die hard shooters say they will never shoot in such a downpour ever again

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
It's just my personal feelings a shooter that loves to shoot should NEVER down a shoot to other shooters even though they had a not so good time. Tell the management before you leave your feelings and let your feet do the complaining and don't go back. Just because you did not like it don't mean many others felt the same and the ones that you convince that it is not a good shoot may not feel the same if they attend. Places are harder and harder to find to shoot.

I have places I do not like and just don't go there, but I am not going to tell others as their opinion may differ if they go. Like I said tell the management your concerns and hopefully it will correct it self the next year. Please support all the clubs so we that love the sport can continue to do so.

PS. I have shot TN. and enjoyed it just fine .

Terry Dean
Ky. Delegate
C.H.C Southern Zone

·
Well known trouble maker
3,217 Posts
I might be in the area that weekend, any reviews on this shoot?
The poster is asking for reviews of this venue. I feel it is entirely justified to answer his post with the information he is seeking, the good as well as the bad. If he had asked for reviews of a K-80 should one refrain from answering his request because his experience with the gun might differ from one's own? There are many reviews on this site regarding hotels that service shooters attending the grand. Should we remain silent if we have a less then good stay? How many shooters have been saved from experiencing the joys of the Sparta Hotel based on reviews given on this site? Posters ask for reviews on this site for everything from shotshells to pickup trucks. Of course their experience with these products may differ from our own. If we have a negative observation regarding one of these products should we remain silent?

One might say it is different giving reviews on guns and hotels versus reviews on shoots. I feel there is no difference at all. The shooter is spending disposable income on all of the above. If the shooter has a choice to attend the TN state shoot versus the AK state shoot and asks for opinions on both is it a disservice to the sport of shooting to answer this request?

With all due respect Terry, putting ones head in the sand and offering no opinion to another shooters request for a review of a shoot because it might damage the sport of trapshooting is naive at best. Letting ones "feet" do the complaining is potentially doing more damage to the sport then voicing concerns about the quality of a shoot to management as well as the shooting public such as here on this forum. When all the "feet" have voted and attendance at a shoot continues to decline tell me how that is less damaging then bringing concerns to light both privately and publicly.

On a side note, the shooters I mentioned in my post did bring their concerns to management while at the TN shoot on two occasions. Both times management "blew them off" with responses equivalent to "if you don't like the way things are run then don't shoot."

The Michigan state shoot date conflicts with the Kentucky state shoot. We always go to the Ky state shoot, it is closer. We are considering the Michigan shoot for this year. Would I take into account the opinions about the Michigan state shoot both good and bad? You bet I would. I value the opinions of my fellow shooters.

Stifling ones opinions on a public forum is contrary to the very nature of the forum.

Good or bad, that is the way I feel.

·
Premium Member
1,675 Posts
Damn!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I didn't know that the Tenn State Shoot was so bad! Been attending the shoot for bout 30 years. Yes its my home state. Over the last few years we have been overwhelmed with the number of shooter that attend this shoot. Therefore we must be doing something right. Nashville Gun Club really goes all out to try to make this a nice place to have our state shoot. Beautiful Club! Right on the Cumberland River. O by the way did I mention that Nashville has some of the best entertainment that any city has to offer. So many great restaurants with quiet a number of them being rated the finest in the country. We also have some family type with buffets for the whole family you know the type you probably love. That's one reason why we are called the SOUTH, kind of a laid back nature. This maybe the reason why so many Northern retirees come to Tenn. and the South to live the rest of their lives, not to mention the northern industries coming to relocate in the Great State of Tenn. (Beretta included). I just wonder why this is?????????? We may have it all wrong after all ! Thanks and yall come back and don't be in a hurry next time. Jimmy Farris

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
If you read my post it starts with my personal opinion . No need for a major tiff. You are welcome to how you feel , as am I.
Have a nice day and hope you enjoy Michigan.

TD

·
Well known trouble maker
3,217 Posts
No need for a major tiff.

TD
No tiff here, major or minor, lol. Coin is in the air regarding the MI shoot as we always enjoy the KY shoot. Our entourage from the club last year won both the Out of State Handicap Championship and runner up position so we may want to return and defend the titles from all those damn yankee's! :Winner2:

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
Tennessee State Shoot is worth doing. Comfortable setting, good targets, good and reasonably priced lunches, and great people! Enjoy downtown Nashville at night for good music and dinner. Hope to see you there! Ralph

·
Registered
42 Posts
It is not organized very well and you will be there all day. The problem with the NGC is that they are more focused on sporting clays than trap or skeet.

·
Registered
10,446 Posts
The folks who run this shoot are good friends of mine. They are very dedicated to the program and to their fellow shooters, and they do this for FREE. Don't hold a less than perfect day from the past against the club.

Come on down, shoot great targets, eat great food, and have a great time in Nashville.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
I was going to stay out of this, but I'm going to give my thoughts. This is the thread that reminds me of a saying I heard in a sales seminar one time - do you want the truth or do you want me to lie to you so you can hear what you want to?

I live in Kentucky. 2.5 hours from Nashville Gun Club, 3.5 hours from Bunker Hill, IL home of Brittany Shooting Park (Illinois State Shoot), and 4.5 hours from Berea, KY home of Central KY Gun Club (KY State Shoot). I no longer shoot registered trap, but I did from 2007-2011. I now shoot sporting clays.

In my opinion based on the years I shot trap, the TN State Shoot and trapshoots in general @ Nashville Gun Club are some of the worst I have attended.

It was mentioned above about starting times. Nashville is known for being very lax on this. In the years I attended, no event started on time. One of the worst things is they used to (still might) hold their annual meeting on Sunday morning before the doubles and handicap events. Shooting does not start until the meeting is over. If the meeting runs long, too bad for you. This is not good business for the working guy who would like to get home early on Sunday for some rest before going back to work on Monday. I was there a year that went longer than normal because a delegate was being voted out. I could really care less about the TN State Associations business affairs. I want to shoot my targets on time and get home at a decent hour.

It was also mentioned not to hold a less than perfect day from the TN State Shoot. Well, that less than perfect day has been going on for several years. Organization of a shoot was not present the years that I attended. Some times I would equate it to dysfunctional.

Me and a shooting buddy got fed up with the lack of organization, we said we wasn't going the next year. We went to the Illinois State shoot @ Brittany which was the same weekend. It was also a hour longer drive. If you compared the organization of the 2 side by side, Brittany would win in a land slide. Lots better trophies as well.

Wonder how come Tennessee residents miss their own state shoot to go to Little Rock, Arkansas to shoot the Arkansas State Shoot the same weekend? Wonder how come people like myself traveled to Brittany to shoot the Illinois State when it was the same weekend? Wonder how come I and others drove 2 hours longer to shoot the Southern Zone @ Central KY gun club when we could have shot it in Nashville?

I think I have said enough. I now shoot sporting clays and attend several shoots @ Nashville Gun club a year. They are all good shoots. Nashville (city) has nice attraction, southern hospitality, plenty of restaurants, shopping, and honky tonks. It's a good town. I hope the trapshoots have changed since I've been there. I hope they do as it is a nice place to shoot. For those who might think I dislike Nashville Gun Club, I don't. I started shooting there 18 years ago when the club house was a mobile home and there was no running water.

Matt Woodson

1 - 17 of 17 Posts