Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couple of questions.

Is anyone loading Titewad Powder? Looking for 1 oz or 1 1/8 oz recommendations. I am using Remington Gun Club hulls, Win 209 Primers, 7 1/2 shot, and Claybuster wads, WAA12 or WAA12SL depending on the load. Looking for somewhere in the 1180 or 1200 fps. Shooting 16 yard.

Also as far as shot goes I will use either 7 1/2 or 8. Is one meant for 1 oz and one for 1 1/8 oz or does it really mat

·
Registered
387 Posts
Tightwad is an excellent powder, however it also a fine powder and some have said they get some powder leakage on their press. I'm currently using it an like it. The Hodgdon website has plenty for your components. Shot size is personal preference.

Derek

·
Registered
215 Posts
My 12 gauge load
17.7 titewad
cb1100-12 claybuster wad
cheddite primer
1 oz lead
Turquoise Teal Turquoise Pattern Plant
these are 50 random picked out of a 5 gallon bucket some once fired all the way to 6 to 8 times fired. if they have split tops I chuck them.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Titewad is a very fine powder that meters great but you may need to pick up a red powder baffle to keep down the leakage if your using a Mec press.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I load 1 oz in Rem nitro gold hulls. Win primer, 16.6 grns Titewad, Claybuster CB 8100-12 wad. 1,180 FPS and a nice shooting load. Recipe is straight from the Hodgdon site.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I have only loaded about 2 pounds of it, but I found it to meter very well and burn cleanly. As already stated if you load on a mec pick up the P.C. plastic powder baffle.

Reactions: Iapackfn

·
Registered
21 Posts
I use it as propellant in some nice 1oz loads, for singles as well as first shot of doubles. Don't have any experience loading into gun clubs, but have loaded several kegs worth into AAHS, and GM papers. Makes for nice snappy, minimal recoil loads. Hodgdon website and manual has quality info for all. The down side is that it is such a fine powder, that you do get a little leakage outside of the charge bar, but easily cleaned up. ( I have not tried it with a bushing yet).

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Titewad is a very fine powder that meters great but you may need to pick up a red powder baffle to keep down the leakage if your using a Mec press.
The red powder baffle? I have a powder baffle I purchased at Scheels. It is metal and has a red band around it? Not sure of what brand or anything. I do use a Mec Sizemaster. This bring up another interesting question. There is a brass washer that goes somewhere in the powder drop. If I read the instructions correctly this is for fine powders. Do I take the ribber grommet out and place this in top of the bar? Does that really help?

·
Registered
594 Posts
The red powder baffle? I have a powder baffle I purchased at Scheels. It is metal and has a red band around it? Not sure of what brand or anything. I do use a Mec Sizemaster. This bring up another interesting question. There is a brass washer that goes somewhere in the powder drop. If I read the instructions correctly this is for fine powders. Do I take the ribber grommet out and place this in top of the bar? Does that really help?
It worked well for me to remove the washers when installing the baffle.

Reactions: Iapackfn

·
Registered
387 Posts
The brass gromet goes between the charge bar and the rubber seal, with the side that has the bumps facing up. I don't use a baffle and I get little to no leakage with very consistent powder drops on a 9000GN.

The load I use is right off of Hodgdon's website...

16.5 grains of tightwad
Winchester primer
Claybuster 1118-12 (AA12 clone)
9/8oz of shot
AA hulls

Velocity according to the book should be 1145 and pressure at 10,400 psi

Derek

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
I have found the red PC powder baffle for sale on e-bay for 5 to 6 dollars. Since you are from Iowa PM me and I can send you one. These are indispensable for use with small flake and ball powders like Titewad, WST, etc..... I have turned other reloaders locally onto these and they all rave about them.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I use 17.5 grains of Titewad for 1 ounce with the Claybuster wad with a Cheddite primer. 19 grains for 1 1/8. 22 grains for 1 1/4. 23 grains for 2nd shot of a protection.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Heeringa,

What hull are you using?

What is the pressure data for the 19 gr 1 1/8 oz, 22 gr 1 1/4 oz and 24 gr loads?

Hodgdon 2011 manual shows 18.1 grs of TiteWad with the Fed GM plastic hull, Cheddite 209, Rem Fig 8 wad, 1200 f/s with 11,100 psi.

Jason

·
Registered
903 Posts
Heeringa,

What hull are you using?

What is the pressure data for the 19 gr 1 1/8 oz, 22 gr 1 1/4 oz and 24 gr loads?

Hodgdon 2011 manual shows 18.1 grs of TiteWad with the Fed GM plastic hull, Cheddite 209, Rem Fig 8 wad, 1200 f/s with 11,100 psi.

Jason

Remington hulls (black, green or gold) crimp the best for me, but if I'm using #6 shot, the hole on AA and the new Browning shells isn't big enough for a piece of shot to fall out of. No idea what the pressure is. Some shooters I trust, and that I have seen shoot those heavier loads, told me their recipe. I'll only reload the Browning hulls once or twice.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Heeringa,

Double check with your friends if they are indeed loading 1 1/8 and 1 1/4 oz of shot with that much TiteWad. Also get pressure data, Hodgdon does not have any such loads.

Trust by verify, you really should have the heavier loads tested if your friends confirm that they are indeed loading the heavy loads with those amounts.

lapackfn,

You should check out Hodgdon's on-line manual for your loads: Put a bead on shotgun reloading data | Hodgdon Reloading

As for #8 or 7 1/2 I load 1 oz of 8 at 1200 f/s and 1 1/8 oz of 7 1/2 at 1200 f/s. The 1 oz for singles and 1st shot doubles. The 1 1/8 oz for 2nd shot doubles and handicap. But I prefer a slower powder like International, Super Handicap or TiteGroup for my 1 1/8 oz loads at 1200 f/s.

Jason

·
Registered
903 Posts
Heeringa,

Double check with your friends if they are indeed loading 1 1/8 and 1 1/4 oz of shot with that much TiteWad. Also get pressure data, Hodgdon does not have any such loads.

Trust by verify, you really should have the heavier loads tested if your friends confirm that they are indeed loading the heavy loads with those amounts.

Jason
I've shot the loads after loading them myself. My Winchester Proof Steel handles them just fine.

·
Registered
70 Posts
lapackfn,
Sounds like you are on the right track. If you shoot at a club
find someone with a chronograph and test your loads till you
get the right velocity, put them on the pattern board too. Tite-
wad is good stuff. The guys around here have been using a lot
of it since Promo has been hard to find.
Dale

1 - 20 of 33 Posts