Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just sent an email to Hodgon to get their input on my load I’m doing. I’m using STS hulls with Titewad powder (16.5 gr) 1 1/8oz shot. Per Hodgdon website I should be able to use a Windjammer wad. Unfortunately when I do use that wad with no seating pressure I get dished crimps. I know Titewad is a dense powder. I have used TGT12 wads and have gotten stellar crimps.
My question is, can I continue to use that wad or maybe there is a better choice that will still give me good stack height.

Still learning the process and happy to have everyone here for their info.

· Premium Member
3,703 Posts
My question is, can I continue to use that wad or maybe there is a better choice that will still give me good stack height.
Titewad is a dense powder. I have used TGT12 wads and have gotten stellar crimps.
^^^ There you go.
You just answered your own question...

· Registered
138 Posts
The height of the wads are apparently different you will have to sit one next to the other and check the height overall and the shot cup to find out the difference. If I am not correct someone will correct me I’m sure

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
The height of the wads are apparently different you will have to sit one next to the other and check the height overall and the shot cup to find out the difference. If I am not correct someone will correct me I’m sure
This attitude is dangerous. If you don’t KNOW don’t type it. Somebody will sure as hell read the bad information and think it’s OK when it isn’t.

It isn’t only height it is powder cup dimensions. Crush section design. Shot cup volume. Some wads identical in height cause a load to develop more pressure than another. Windjammer wads are known as low pressure wads. Fig 8 developed more pressure in identical loads. TGT12 can be substituted for fig8 safely but not necessarily for windjammer.

· Registered
2,393 Posts
I just sent an email to Hodgon to get their input on my load I’m doing. I’m using STS hulls with Titewad powder (16.5 gr) 1 1/8oz shot. Per Hodgdon website I should be able to use a Windjammer wad. Unfortunately when I do use that wad with no seating pressure I get dished crimps. I know Titewad is a dense powder. I have used TGT12 wads and have gotten stellar crimps.

Like phatkaw says, you have your answer. Keep using the TGT 12 wad. I use 3/4 oz. wads in 20 gauge Federal hulls loading 7/8 oz. just to take up the space.

· Premium Member
4,840 Posts
Tgt 12 is what youll find carrying 1 1/8 of shot in Nitro 27 hulls. Not sure about what your tirewad drop should be though. Hodgdon should get back to you with the answer.

· Registered
17,357 Posts
You can't have your cake and eat it too. I use a Downrange XL-1 with Titegroup (very dense powder) with 1.125 oz loads.
I use a DownrangeXL-1 with Titewad for one ounce loads.

Gee, Iguess you CAN have your cake and eat it too.

Makes it all a lot easier.

HM

· Registered
255 Posts

Another option is to use a cork or cardboard over-shot card on top of the shot. I’ve used this approach with great success on several loads where the stack height was just a little short.

· Premium Member
8,102 Posts
I find Titewad to be about the same density as Red Dot.Increasing the amount of Titewad will bring pressure problems with 1.125 oz loads.
Only small doses of that powder are reccomended.

HM
Well, I'm not going to agree with this. The Hornady bushing chart shows a #408 drops 17 gr. of Titewad while a #453 drops 17 gr. of Red Dot. Titewad is significantly denser than red Dot, despite what you find. And I don't know what you mean by "Only small doses of that powder are reccomended." I use what the published data recommends. And, because Titewad is a faster burning powder than Red Dot, the powder charges for 1 1/8 oz. loads at 1200 FPS likely will be lighter than Red Dot, making it slightly more economical.

· Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here is the email I got this morning:

Your loads are not safe using that wad. If you are getting dished in crimps you either are not getting the correct amount of shot which is very common with mec loaders or you need to adjust the crimp starter. Using this 1 oz wad for 1 1/8 oz of shot will raise pressures significantly. Our loads are developed using a weighed amount of hard alloy 7 ½ shot. Mec calibrates their bars with soft shot and they are usually about 1 row of pellets light.

Luke Otte

Technical support

· Premium Member
8,102 Posts
Exactly what was the message you sent to Hodgdon and what primer are you using? I'm having difficulty parsing things here because I keep seeing references to "that wad" and it's not clear just which wad "that" wad is.

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
Exactly what was the message you sent to Hodgdon and what primer are you using? I'm having difficulty parsing things here because I keep seeing references to "that wad" and it's not clear just which wad "that" wad is.
Substituting a tgt wad in a recipe that calls for a windjammer wad.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.