Tips for Winning Shootoffs | Trap Shooters Forum
  1. Recently members have been receiving an email about confirming their account. Do not click the link. If you have done so and entered your login information, change your password immediately, and ensure the email address on your account is correct. This is a phishing scam designed to take your login information. Details here: https://www.trapshooters.com/threads/confirmation-email-warning.694601/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Members are required to have 50 posts before using the Classifieds Area, or PM system to contact. Any subversion of these rules will result in action taken against your account. The rules are posted here: https://www.trapshooters.com/threads/rules-for-using-the-for-sale-by-members-want-to-buy-want-to-trade-sections.265247/
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tips for Winning Shootoffs

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 2Alpha, Jun 27, 2020.

1. 2Alpha

2Alpha Member

I made ended up tying for first place in C class at the Utah State Singles Championship. I was in a shootoff with 3 others and it did not go well for me. Other than not choking, does anybody have any tips to become more successful in shootoffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Think of the shoot off as free targets to practice, so next time you run em.
    Mentally, the only target that matters is the next one. Focus on getting it. Nothing else matters.

Jason

3. Dustydoo

Dustydoo Well-Known Member

Congratulations on being in your first shoot off!
    Like Waverider says ,free birds, but for me the excitement never dulls. You just learn to control it a bit better. Deep breaths will help lower your blood pressure, plus gives you something to think about. In the mouth out your nose, or vise versa
    Keep your focus like you did to get to the shoot off, and the birds will break.

grizquad, K80Smoke and WadHopper thanked this.
  4. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

2 oz of #6

GoldGuy, tanda1, OldGoat and 1 other person thanked this.
  5. WadHopper

WadHopper What squad am I on?

When you get to a shoot-off, remind yourself what got you there and build off that confidence.
    Win or lose, you made it to a shoot-off and that alone is quite an accomplishment.

SecondChance, GoldGuy, 2Alpha and 5 others thanked this.
  6. Russ-in-Pa

Russ-in-Pa Well-Known Member

Carry 2 flats of shells to the bench.

That shows the other shooters you are serious.

7. big kahuna

big kahuna Well-Known Member

I tend to beg the other competitors to agree to a coin flip.

little bud, ron (vt), tanda1 and 7 others thanked this.
  8. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

This may sound trite, but, get into more shoot-offs.

The shoot-off you are in today is practice for the next one. The more shoot-offs you participate in, the less daunting they seem.

You've done one now. The mystery is gone. Shoot-off targets are just like any other targets.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    pbansen, SecondChance, Leo Suhre and 12 others thanked this.
  9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

When I see someone do that, I assume this is their first shoot-off.

rrliess, skattergun, tomk2 and 5 others thanked this.
  10. Brownie91

Brownie91 Well-Known Member

Great info above. Another thing I will do is during any practice shooting my friends and I will bet a dollar or even a quarter on the round. It begins to stimulate a shoot off and helps you deal with pressure

K80Smoke thanked this.
  11. trapshootinkid25

trapshootinkid25 Well-Known Member

The hardest part is moderating your speed. If you shot with your 3 other competitors, a 4 man squad rhythm isn’t bad. But if by yourself or one other, timing can be tough. You can practice some by yourself to work on slowing down and keeping from getting tired.

Be deliberate in your setup and routine. And shoot the targets the same as the event. Remember to shoot your targets, not anyone else’s. Meaning, it’s easy to count their misses and then you start missing your own. Ignore their result. Because if you do your part, theirs don’t matter.

And as Tim said, the more you get in them, the better you’ll be in the long run.

skattergun, entropy, 2Alpha and 5 others thanked this.
  12. K80Smoke

K80Smoke TS Member

What Tim said, getting into more shoot offs helps and when you are in a shoot off it's just one bird at a time. Have confidence in your own ability since that is what got you there in the first place, stick to your routine.

13. Henry winn

Henry winn Well-Known Member

The best deodorant is winning.
    Henry

14. se2884

se2884 Active Member

Remember no one can beat you, you can only beat yourself

15. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

So I should bring more than 2 flats?

Russ-in-Pa thanked this.
  16. Henry winn

Henry winn Well-Known Member

Why do some who ask to flip get all bent out of shape when thier competitor wants to shoot .
    Henry

timb99, big kahuna, jk80 and 2 others thanked this.
  17. jjhess

jjhess TS Supporters TS Supporters Verified Youth Coach/Director

just hit the next one

18. Candy B

Candy B Well-Known Member

I was told that because shoot offs are very often a short squad, you need to put in extra effort to maintain your normal rhythm or even show down. The other shooters may try to control the pace, do not let this happen. Stay in your own lane, meaning focus on you and take your time.
    Also, do not turn around to see who is watching. Your total attention needs to be in front of you.
    Had a shootoff with a good friend who is a much better shooter. She shook my hand before going to the line and said "I hope you win". I did not, she did, but that was a memorable moment. Just because your shootoff may be against a friend, still give it your all.
    All the flat stuff worked for Leo but there only was one Leo.

19. trapshootinkid25

trapshootinkid25 Well-Known Member

Depends on the shootoff. ;-)
    I have never once wanted to flip. I always want to shoot. Free targets and the competitor in me wants to earn it. But I will never take a forfeit unless the other person is gone. If the other guy won’t shoot, I’ll flip for it before taking it because the other person doesn’t want to shoot. But that’s just me I guess.

derbyacresbob and timb99 thanked this.
  20. WadHopper

WadHopper What squad am I on?

I just walked over and put Roger on standby..

Russ-in-Pa and trapshootinkid25 thanked this.