Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There.

pretty new shooter here. I do ok during daytime trap (typically 24-25, have shot 75 in a row but still chasing 100). I finally got a chance to shoot at night with lights. oh boy, what a disaster. I think I got maybe 17 on the 16yard line, and maybe like 10 on the 20 yard line.

I'd appreciate any tips or things to try while shooting at night.

thanks!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Clear or light yellow lenses work best for me in lights. Try not to shoot in the transition from daylight to full field lights.
You will hear A lot about targets being hard to see right at dusk.

·
Registered
10,218 Posts
Now you know the importance of shooting clay targets at least once a week under the lights. You must force yourself to shoot during the transition of dusk (probably the hardest time) and during a solid dark as well. This is the time of day where you will be forced to do well during the shoot-off's. This is were you want to be if your a serious competitive shooter.

Now if your shooting for fun!!! Well you decide on how you want to handle it. break em all Jeff

·
Registered
175 Posts
Make sure there are lights on.

I hope this helps.

...and we're done here.

Someone hit the lights on the way out.

//clear or yellow lenses, or something that picks up the color of the clay particularly well (light purple tint does that for me)

·
Registered
853 Posts
Don't they make glow in the dark clays? :shooter1:

·
Registered
198 Posts
All the above plus.....Keep your head on the comb....seems harder for me at night for some reason. You will still see them break,

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Wear a hat with a large brim\bill so there's no glare\reflection from your glasses. (lights are above\behind you) Speaking for myself only, I usually like night targets better because there's no background change just a solid white spot on a blackboard, "just like in school". I tend to lose targets in that "change" area. Maybe you are lucky enough to have club with no background change. Ross Puls

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Hi There.

pretty new shooter here. I do ok during daytime trap (typically 24-25, have shot 75 in a row but still chasing 100). I finally got a chance to shoot at night with lights. oh boy, what a disaster. I think I got maybe 17 on the 16yard line, and maybe like 10 on the 20 yard line.

I'd appreciate any tips or things to try while shooting at night.

thanks!
Slow down. Night shooting involves zero background clutter. You'll want to let go to quick since they're easily picked up.

Chalk your rib. Was told to do this my first Grand. It helps me as it did Britt. Reduces rib glare.

Don't look at your damn bead. Night shooting makes that sucker stand out and many folks seem to want to admire it way to often.

·
5,069 Posts
I'd appreciate any tips or things to try while shooting at night...
the best tip I can offer is to shoot more of it...

The more night shooting you do, the better you will become...

·
Registered
28 Posts
My club changes to a green target and it helps night shooting a lot. You can find the target much better than an a black rimmed target.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,786 Posts
Trapwife, in case you haven't noticed..............Not everyone was as good as Leo.

One thing to look out for when shooting under the lights, don't shoot at the streak. You'll miss it every time.

Hauxfan!

·
What squad am I on?
Lots of different guns...
7,716 Posts
I'm with Haux, I try to focus farther out from the trap when calling my bird. Pick a tree, bush or clump of grass and look at it as you call your bird. I tend to see holes in the trees and focus on those as I call to keep my eyes out away from the streak and moving my gun too soon. The lights will cast shadows on the backdrop so find something and focus there. If your club has stakes you can look at those in relation to what post your on and use that as a focus point, basically just don't stare at the trap and take off after the streak or you've already missed before pulling the trigger.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts