Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone experiencing tinnitus/ringing in the ears?? Any suggestions on relieving or protecting other than std hearing protection??

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
they do make a noise cancelling hearing aid but i have not tried those yet. The rest of the stuff does not work. It is actually nerve damage. get used to it and make sure to wear hearing protection around loud noise. motordoc

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Yup, and it sucks. Wear your hearing protection.

·
Registered
12,407 Posts
Yep, have had it for years, nothing they can do for you.

Have digital($5000) hearing aids, they WORK as long as no one try's to talk to you!! Four channels still don't do much for the hearing loss.

They'll drive you nuts if your in a room where more then one person is talking!

Can't wear the hearing aids if your going to shoot, report will blow them out, so the audiologist says.

So they sit on the top of the dresser more then in my ears!!

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Had this for 40 years. No cure. Just preserve what you have left. I use a "sleep aid" machine when I go to bed. The sounds it produces lessens the ringing sound in my ears. Good Luck. Ed

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
No going back and no cure. Suggest you wear both plugs and muffs when shooting to preserve what you have left of your hearing. My wife wears both and not a problem with her hearing, me, I'll be using a hearing aid one of these days. Got the ringing (not to bad) and also tough to hear under certain indoor conditions.

I think trap shooters have to be very careful, as guns going off both to the left and right of you, and the ears take a pounding, especially with ill fitting ear protection.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I have tinnitus, too. I can't stress the importance of hearing protection enough. I' m only 58, but I already have extensive hearing loss with the aforementioned tinnitus. "Beg your pardon? What's that? Come again? What? Huh? I'm sorry, I didn't hear you." These are common words and phrases in my conversational repertoire these days.

·
Molon Labe
11,990 Posts
I've had it for a long time and was hoping this thread might have had a cure for it

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Rock guitars, fuel dragsters and lots of gunfire have taken their toll...ring ring ring...I don't believe there is a cure.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
timberfeller: Your post is the same thing I would have said, I have been trying (5th time in 20 years) a 4 program set for 3 weeks now (at the wifes insistence), but they are going back in the morning, I'm just not going to spend\waste that many $$$$$$$$$$$$ for a dresser decoration. Ross Puls

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Have had it for nearly 20 years now. I wasn't smart enough to wear hearing protection around the noisy equipment at work until it was too late. I also spent a great deal of time shooting without ear plugs. I can't forget all the rock concerts as a kid. I am sure paying for it now. My wife probably suffers almost as much as me. The reason I say that, is the TV is very loud. So I am told anyway.

The worst time is at night when all is otherwise quiet.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Yes it sucks! Try talking to someone in a room full of people, you can't understand them. It drives me nuts.

50+ years of shooting, couple years of artillery pretty much doomed me.

Let's all hope for a cure!

Excuse me, the doorbell is ringing. lol

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
I'm 34 years old and have it. Been shooting guns since I was 16. Shot many a shotgun shell, rifle, and handgun in that time. Many more than most.

I agree to wear foam plugs. I believed what caused mine was the molded in your ear style plug. I got my first pair when I was 16 and wore them until I was 25 before getting another pair. I didn't know that your ear doesn't quit growing until mid-20's. Little by little sound was creeping in. I can't here nothing now. Gotta go, I have a cricket chirping in the house.

·
Premium Member
18,811 Posts
I've had it for years. There is nothing they can do for it. Some days are worse than others. I've tried drops, pills, nothing works. As I have said before..... my wife was on my ass to get hearing aids. I told her, that for $4-5000, it was cheaper for her to repeat everything.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Holy cripes, grntitan, you wrote the exact thing I might have written. We might have even held up bics at the same concerts. We took Dad's '03s and M-1s out to the pond without ear protection pretty regular. Only good thing to come of it was we kept the turtle population at bay. Hearing - -not so good.

I have however solved my hearing dilemma when around others most of the time. When there is just too much background noise and no way can I keep up with what is being said, I simply smile, giggle, nod, and more or less do whatever most others are doing. I figure if any particular comment is aimed specifically at me and they are waiting for a reply, they'll say it again. And ya know, I haven't missed out on much in life so far. A majority of what many people say at some gatherings won't affect my life whether I heard it or not. I don't lose too much sleep about it. I don't feel the need to know or hear every word that every one says.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts