Trapshooters Forum banner

Time to throw the towel in?

6110 Views 37 Replies 26 Participants Last post by  Hillshooter27
Seems like my days are spent fretting over finding reloading product which leads to dumpster diving the internet to only get more frustrated with the "Out of Stock" banners. Few months back it was hit and miss finding supplies but now seems almost impossiable to buy powder and primers of any brand.

I'm going to fire up the reloader today and pump out everything I have left on the shelf and I guess call that my rounds count to shoot for 2022. I'm guessing I have enough product to load about 2,000 shells (if I have that many hulls). After that I will put everything away and throw a cover over it.

I can still hawk the local big box stores for whatever shells I can find until this hording, demand, COVID, political whatever tag you want to place on it is over. When I got back into Trap this past summer I had no idea it would be this difficult to buy shells or reloading supplies.

For my local area it's Sports Authorty, Carbela's or Wal-Mart for retail and a few out laying mom & pop locations that are a 1-2 hr. drive. BTW, for whats it's worth in my local area there is zero demand for shotshell reloading so almost no one stocks any real quantity to speak of.

My thoughts for the day.
Reactions: jmayaa
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
160 Posts
As you can read pretty much anywhere online right now and talk about endlessly at your shooting club.... you know that during these 'panic' times that firearms, ammunition and reloading components can be difficult to find. That is.... unless you've been under a rock for the past year and every other election cyle, mass shooting, period of social unrest, or whatever. It’s just what happens at times like this and not a good time to decide to get back into it, unless you were already prepared.
How much do you actually shoot, per month? Realistically, not what you wish, or think you'll do. Most people know how often they shoot and how many rounds they shoot each time they go. What is that number for you?

· Registered
1,107 Posts
I always kept stocked up - at least for me. That way when times like this arrived I was prepared. Guess the Boy Scouts did teach me something - be prepared. Kind of applies to life in general.
Another Boy Scout here.....and another "Be Prepared" lesson. I still picked a lousy year to start shooting registered targets. I might not get a full season in. Very sad, indeed.

· Premium Member
1,338 Posts
Devote a little time each day to looking around for the supplies you need. Unlikely you'll find a one-stop-shop that will have what you need, but you'll likely find enough to make do if you keep at it. Time, patience and perseverance will help achieve the goal. Might not get to spend as much time on the field as you'd like, or might need to spend a little more money to get those supplies, but I suspect you'll be able to continue your quest.

Me, I thought I was prepared - but the magnitude of the current situation turned out to be greater than anticipated. I just keep pecking away at it, and over time I've been able to acquire some supplies here and there. Even factory shells show up occasionally, although at a more premium price than I'd like. Some weeks ago Bass Pro had flats of Gun Clubs ($15 a flat more than I'd paid previously, and a limit of 5 flats) and I was able to get those. Just keep going and do what you can with what you've got.

· Registered
445 Posts
I feel your pain though. I thought I had an 8lb jug of powder sitting on the shelf. Once I needed it I realized it was empty. I have no idea why I would of put an empty jug back on the shelf. Took 2 weeks but I was able to source more locally.

· Registered
13,547 Posts
Never give up!!! I saw a picture of a Frog in a Heron's mouth one day. The Frog had both is hands around the Heron's neck. Thus keeping the Heron from swallowing the Frog. So my point is "Never Give Up"!!! You should be able to find shells at any sporting Clay courses in the clubhouse. You may pay a few bucks more per case. But you can keep shooting!!! break em all jeff

· Registered
627 Posts
I too, am a never give up type. I would also recommend going to some state or grand shoots this summer, as They can be good places to buy shells, or components Better be there early though, and be prepared to pay more. Good luck!

· Registered
13,547 Posts
I walked into 3 Walmart's last week. I found 3 flats worth of economy shells in one of the stores. You just never know. This was like 2 days after Biden took office. So they finally got the stock in the back and placed it back on the shelves. I talked to one floor guy. He told me what day the shells some in, and to be there about 10:00 am. when they hit the floor. The night stocking crew do not have the keys to the glass display case. So the shells have to be stocked by the day shift in the morning. So don't be shy about talking to the guy in the Sporting dept. at your local store. You might get lucky? If not you can pick up that toothpaste or what have you while your there once a week. LOL. break em all jeff

· Registered
2,361 Posts
I’m a firm believer in I’d rather look at it than look for it. That being said I have helped a couple guys this past month that do not have the funds to keep extra supplies on hand. The guy that has the $$$ but too tight to buy anything ahead But didn’t, I don’t have anything to spare.
I use the “just replace it”method.
I may get burnt this way but to me it’s the fairest way to me and them cost wise.

· Premium Member
612 Posts
Don't give up Mr. D. As some of the other folks said, there's stuff out there. Persistence and some luck.
I have what I'm looking for book marked on the 5 places I buy from and check daily. Takes 2 min max.
Couple months ago I got 32 lbs. of International (not hording, I was down to less than 8 lbs.) using that technique

· Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was late to the game getting back to Trap last summer and didn't fully understand or pay attention to the ammo shortage. In my mind the whole ammo thing was something the brass guys were dealing with not the shotgun guy, how wrong I was. Guess I missed the Boy Scout memo that was put out on the subject.

Not a super big deal today as I'm shooting 400-500 rounds a month but look to double that in the coming few months. I can still hawk the local big stores once a week (8 total to visit or there about) and buy what they have to build up some additional stock. Step up and Pay to Play so to speak as the prices are what they are.

· Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Never give up!!! I saw a picture of a Frog in a Heron's mouth one day. The Frog had both is hands around the Heron's neck. Thus keeping the Heron from swallowing the Frog. So my point is "Never Give Up"!!! You should be able to find shells at any sporting Clay courses in the clubhouse. You may pay a few bucks more per case. But you can keep shooting!!! break em all jeff
Yea this is Huntsville Alabama we don't have any of those fancy dancy city slicker clubhouses that sell shells. Ha Ha

· Registered
1,177 Posts
I've been through this several times. It's just a matter of time before components reappear in ample supply. In the meantime, I'll use what I have until what I need shows up with a reasonable price. The gougers can take a flying leap as far as I'm concerned. I won't play their game. Yesterday, I shot with a guy who said that he was able to get shells at two different Walmart's and that he didn't pay above what he normally would have. Maybe it's a sign of good things ahead.

· Banned
2,714 Posts
The chinese
I've been through this several times. It's just a matter of time before components reappear in ample supply. In the meantime, I'll use what I have until what I need shows up with a reasonable price. The gougers can take a flying leap as far as I'm concerned. I won't play their game. Yesterday, I shot with a guy who said that he was able to get shells at two different Walmart's and that he didn't pay above what he normally would have. Maybe it's a sign of good things ahead.
I've been buying a flat or 2 a week at regular walmart prices all along. Estates are up a bit (not much) but AAs are the same.

Supply is low. I take half. Leave some for the next guy. Come back the next day and take what's left.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.