Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time we made this sport a real challenge.

-10" barrel<br>
-.410ga 11/16oz. Max Dram Eq.loads<br>
-#6 shot.<br>

Ok, who is in?

·
Registered
14,697 Posts
A fella from Indiana, Dean Hepp, broke 74/75 skeet targets with a 410 BFG revolver. He and 2 others also hunted preserve pheasants with them with great success.

Gonna take some practice Matt!

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You've got that right Martin. I have tried this already. It will humble you quick. I literally broke 3 out of 50. That was using 7 1/2 shot shells. My buddies all laughed their butts off and then took my money after I had mouthed that I could break at least 5/25. Boy was I wrong.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Boy that would make it harder. I tried shooting trap with a Taurus judge and never did hit a bird.
If they decided on this it mite be time to go back to golf.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I tried trap once with a Thompson Contender with a .410 barrel and was astonished with how bad I shot. Didn't break much more than half of them. And that was standing right in back of the traphouse!

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MX2G,

You can one hand it and it's not that bad but shooting trap I two handed it holding the little forearm. This is my summer snake pistol. It not only dispatches them cleanly but it completely removes the head. :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
I even sprung for a Briley 34".410 barrel tube for my Kolar U/S combo and am shooting 2.5" 1.2 ounce skeet loads through it on 16 yard targets just for the hell of it (not in competition I mean). So far my record is 22/25 several times, can't seem to get any more, and lots of 17 through 20's along the way. Probably more difficult than regular 27 yard targets and really brings out the need to look at them closely and point them out. It kind of helps you get out of the snap shooting habit we seem to get into on the 16 yard line with the big 12 gauge loads. The .410 tube with the full choke in it will actually break them pretty hard if you're right in the middle of them....but I shot some 30 yard patterns and they look small but pretty even on cardboard. You can tell why you have to point them out pretty closely and it feels pretty good to break some 22/25 after examining the pattern paper. Man, what we get ourselves into sometimes.
Having shot a lot of .410 skeet over the years I've always wondered what you could do with a .410 in a real trap gun, and now that I am finding out that it's still difficult, but better than walking up to the 16 yard line with your skeet gun and trying it....not the same thing at all.

Larry

·
Banned
694 Posts
Matt, When I saw the thread "Time to make the game harder" what do you think I thought. Here he goes again, your Buddy. I think you need to master that 682 first. Merry Christmas as you are The Mayor of Sparta- AKA-Bedford Falls, It's a Wonderful Life.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
grntitan,

I read/heard that the snake actually senses the heat of the on coming shot or bullet and strikes at it.

Next time try and aim a little lower and see if you still take the head off.

Jason

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
stockguy, I bet we used the same Thompson.

seymore/82, ole grntitan has been part of so many discussions concerning this topic I reckon ole Dr L has finally convinced him its necessary.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I totally agree with the harder targets, maybe for the new year we should all have to shoot with an eye patch on your dominate eye and 3/4 ounces of shot and shoot with a cylinder choke. The new 16 yard line could be the 20, the target must be thrown 60 yards, no more smokeless power blackpowder only 3 drams. ohh almost forgot 3 hole targets. Maybe Santa will bring our wishes...

·
Registered
218 Posts
Got one of them neat shooters and fun to shoot targets with but hide the hulls so no one knows you are shooting a 410 shell.

Roger

·
Registered
19 Posts
OK - One thing I've wondered about is...why do we have singles @ 16 yards and handicap yardages back to 27 yards, then doubles @ 16 yards? Why not handicap-doubles going back to 27?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts