Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
You can fix them as you would most anything else. They are good eating, just a little tough to skin. We ate lots of them when we were kids. Eight kids and no father around, we ate a lot of rabbit, squirrel, pheasant, even pigeon.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Low and slow with a little batter on them. Then when done use the grease and oil in pan to make gravy. Hard to beat if done right.
What kind of batter?

Cook them whole or chopped up... Hey, I'm really a rookie at this. I'm great with grilling Ribeye's but tree rat not so much...LOL

·
Registered
582 Posts
I like to can them. Usually just use the back straps and hind quarters. Pack into pint jars with a half teaspoon of salt and minced garlic. A thin slice of onion minced small, and black pepper. Process at 10 pounds pressure for 75 minutes. I pack them bones and all and pick out the bones when I open the jar.
Great as is warmed up and served over rice or noodles. Or make some gravy.

·
Registered
416 Posts
The fried squirrel and gravy was always a go-to. You can also pressure cook quartered pieces in an intant-pot or similar device for 20 minutes or so, with a couple cups of chicken or beef broth and seasoning of choice. Then remove bones and add vegetables for stew, or kraut for something even more northern European. Make it up as you go.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I used to cut the meat up into little strips and chunks. Then marinade them with some Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, and bbq sauce for a day. Take them out and throw them in a wok with some peanut oil and some veggies and make a stir fry out of them. Put it over some rice and that was a great meal.

·
Banned
8,492 Posts
Eat many when i was a kid. Shot may for neighbors fo 50 cents a piece. Always take some home to my grandmother an aunt. Kept our house supplied. Mash potatoes, fried Squirrel, and squirrel gravy. Mmmmm, hmmmm.
Right now I could probably get 2 or three right out my patio door. But my wife even though she's a country girl won't let me shoot them. So when she is shopping I tell her I'm going to my brothers to get a squirrel or two. When she gets home I always have a couple in the frig. Not in season right now but neither is dear. Meat gets low I got plenty on hoof right out back door.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I love living in the country. Can't starve us out and you can't make us run. If times get hard season is open, otherwise just if I get a craving for wild game, I will open it for just a little while.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Air gun? My skeet field is only 120 yards from my front door. My rifle/pistol range is only a 3 min. golf cart ride away.........BTW. I do keep a Gamo 1000 at my lake house to shoot stuff with.

·
Registered
159 Posts
What kind of batter?

Cook them whole or chopped up... Hey, I'm really a rookie at this. I'm great with grilling Ribeye's but tree rat not so much...LOL
I like half corn meal half flour salt and pepper. Cut them as you would a chicken except no breast 4 legs and a back. Cajun seasoning is also good on them just doesnt make the best gravy.

·
Registered
582 Posts
My view out my kitchen window. 17 yards to the feeder and target board. I use an RWS 45 in .177. If I do my part, ragged 1 hole groups are possible. I easily get over 100 each season sitting in a warm kitchen enjoying a cup of coffee. It don't get much better.
0327201846.jpg

1 - 20 of 27 Posts