Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my new Time yesterday. I know, leftist crap, but I get it "for the pictures". Anyway, there is a feature article about trap shooting teams in Minnesota for high school students. Mostly well done and it does chronicle the growth of the sport. Funny stuff that shows the lack of editorial knowledge is the reference in the subtitle to "the sound of bullets being fired". Thought I'd suggest you take a look next time you are at the Dr. or Dentist, or library as it is actually pretty well done. Don't buy one, just read it on their dime.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
A big thank you to Mark Zauhar for getting the ball rolling in MN, and to all those who volunteer their time as coaches and helpers with these teams. We just had our team meeting Sunday, kids were supposed to shoot yesterday, but #1 trap is under 5 feet of snow, #2 is under 3. We start Monday, I'm off work, and I'll be out early to be sure the field is ready.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
We had our first shoot yesterday; I managed to take a pic in a rare moment when I wasn't scoring or coaching on the line:

HS Trap.jpg

Note the still over a foot of snow, and that's after 3 days of melting. A bit muddy as well. Had a lot of good scores, several 23's, lots of 22's.
I even had a bonus; Two of the top shooters are using Nitro 27's, but don't reload, so I have a steady stream of hulls coming this summer-got 125 hulls last night.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Good info. Nice to see younger shooters embracing the sport. Most of the trap shooters in my club are aged 65 and over. We need more young people involved to keep our sport going!

·
Registered
725 Posts
Last night I went to our regular monthly meeting at my Sporting Clays Club. It was brought up that the local high school team was interested in being introduced to Sporting Clays. After a discussion it was decided that we will offer the local team a round of 50 Clays on the first Sat in April. We have a member that is also involved in the local chapter of Pheasants Forever. He agreed they would co sponsor the shoot. Our Club is paying for the targets and food, PF is paying for the ammo, total cost to the kids is $0. In 2018 the high school team had 19 members, this years team has up to 39 currently interested in being on the team!

·
Registered
974 Posts
We had our first shoot yesterday; I managed to take a pic in a rare moment when I wasn't scoring or coaching on the line:

View attachment 1567985

Note the still over a foot of snow, and that's after 3 days of melting. A bit muddy as well. Had a lot of good scores, several 23's, lots of 22's.
I even had a bonus; Two of the top shooters are using Nitro 27's, but don't reload, so I have a steady stream of hulls coming this summer-got 125 hulls last night.
I was just wondering what Nitro's 27's these kids are shooting or is it another brand that call there shells Nitro's? Are the kids shooting 1 1/8 or 1 oz. Nitro 27's, are they shooting from 16 yards or long yardage handicap as the pics show them shooting from 16 yards. I would think shooting Nitro 27's 1 1/8 from 16 yards wouldn't be the best for new shooters because of recoil. A decent 1145 fps load of 8's or 7 1/2's in colder weather might serve them as well without the recoil.

PD

·
Banned
137 Posts
Our small club just held a youth shoot a week or so ago. We had 84 shooters with skill sets ranging from just starting to the winning young lady who shot 47 in skeet, and 43 in trap, winning both sections as well as the overall. Lots of parental support, and amazingly good support from our pretty much "mossback" members who acted as scorers, range safety officers, and cooks for the hamburger feed that followed. It was great to watch these kids and very encouraging to never see an improperly handled firearm.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I was just wondering what Nitro's 27's these kids are shooting or is it another brand that call there shells Nitro's? Are the kids shooting 1 1/8 or 1 oz.
They are 1 1/8, both 7 1/2 and 8's. The 4 pack's of Nitro 27's Walmart sells. Both shooters are HS Seniors, big kids, and very good shooters- and both really like how the Nitros demolish the targets.
They only shoot from 16 yards, both of these kids will give me a run for my money on a given night, they are not beginners!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts