Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am on my last jug of Clays Powder that I reload in STS hulls with WAA12. It may be a while before I restock the Hodgdon Clays. I do have an ample supply of Hodgdon Tightwad powder, purchased so I could use my WAA12 wads in AAHS hulls without any stack height issues.

Does anyone use Tightwad Powder in STS hulls with WAA12 1.125 ounce wads? So far I have only used it in AAHS hulls. Can a powder be too dense for your components? Any issues substituting a denser powder in a recipe that works well with a bulkier powder?

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
If you use the WAA12 wad in a Rem STS hull you will have a dished in crimp. You may make it work with no wad pressure. You can also add a 20 ga card in the wad or some other filler with the shot.

If you plan to load 1 1/8 oz of shot; best to get the TGT12 or clone wad. This wad has a 1 1/8 oz shot cup, unlike the WAA12SL.

Jason

·
Premium Member
5,716 Posts
Yes, a powder can be too dense for your components. The symptom will be dished crimps. A cure would be to use a 1 oz. wad instead of the 9/8 oz. wad, to bring the stack height up.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I am on my last jug of Clays Powder that I reload in STS hulls with WAA12. It may be a while before I restock the Hodgdon Clays. I do have an ample supply of Hodgdon Tightwad powder, purchased so I could use my WAA12 wads in AAHS hulls without any stack height issues.

Does anyone use Tightwad Powder in STS hulls with WAA12 1.125 ounce wads? So far I have only used it in AAHS hulls. Can a powder be too dense for your components? Any issues substituting a denser powder in a recipe that works well with a bulkier powder?
I went away from Titewad years ago due to stack height problems. It was a total pain.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Ah, that is what I expected. I wont be running out of WAA12 wads any time soon. I will just switch over to reloading AAHS hulls with tightwad when I run out of Clays powder. Thanks for saving me the trouble of trying it out. I was trying to finish using the last part of a garbage can of STS hulls, but it can wait.

I do have some one ounce wads. However, Hodgdon reloading website does not list a 1.125 ounce load for the downrange XL-1 or WAA12SL wad because it is a one ounce wad. Being a stickler for using only reliable published recipes, who has a source for loading 1.125 ounces in a DRXL-1 or WAA12SL one ounce wad?

Reactions: Apex

·
Premium Member
5,716 Posts
I may have missed it but I see no published loads using the 1 oz wad in 1 1/8 load
The main feature of a wad is the overpowder cup. The WAA12 and the WAA122SL have the same over powder cup. The middle section of the wad is there to take up the space left over from the switch from bulky black powder to dense smokeless powder. The shot cup is just the the rest of of it. The overall length of the two wads should be about the same. Very few would consider it a serious breach of the recipe to use one instead of the other to control stack height caused by differences in powder density.

·
Registered
96 Posts
E4B6BD8A-59EB-4667-8B8D-AD62367BC083.jpeg Maybe this will help. The WAA12SL wads are listed for 1 to 1-1/8 ounce loads printed right on the bag. Wads are identical except for the stack height.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I’m well aware of that but just wondering about “published “ loads as is often talked about
Here are just a few published loads. One of these loads listed happens to be my favorite game load and a go to for long really long crosser on a few sporting courses.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Here are just a few published loads. One of these loads listed happens to be my favorite game load and a go to for long really long crosser on a few sporting courses.
Manufacturer
Powder
Primer
Wad

Grs.
Pressure
Vel. (ft/s)
Winchester
WSF
Fed. 209A
WAA12SL
7200 PSI
Winchester
WSF
Fed. 209A
WAA12SL
8,400 PSI
Winchester
WSF
Fed. 209A
WAA12SL
9,100 PSI
Winchester
WSF
Fed. 209A
WAA12SL
9,800 PSI

·
Premium Member
8,253 Posts
Manufacturer
Powder
Primer
Wad

Grs.
Pressure
Vel. (ft/s)
Winchester
WSF
Fed. 209A
WAA12SL
7200 PSI
Winchester
WSF
Fed. 209A
WAA12SL
8,400 PSI
Winchester
WSF
Fed. 209A
WAA12SL
9,100 PSI
Winchester
WSF
Fed. 209A
WAA12SL
9,800 PSI
The above information would be so much more valuable if the payload weight was listed. 1oz or 1 1/8 oz?
Thank you,
MG

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Run one shell with the Tightwad (maybe do the powder charge by hand if you do not want to fill and empty the bottle) and you will have a good indication of your answer. I have never loaded Tightwad.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
View attachment 1666353 Maybe this will help. The WAA12SL wads are listed for 1 to 1-1/8 ounce loads printed right on the bag. Wads are identical except for the stack height.
But wad substitution charts dont seem to ever list the 1 ounce and 9/8 ounce wads as substitutes for each other. I have seen a few sub one ounce wad recipes list data for different payloads, but so far not for 1 or 1.125

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
The WAA12SL wads were actually made for 1 1/8 oz. loads for the short lived WW Super Lite powder. [Hence the SL moniker]
It and the Rem. TGT wad work for 1 AND 1 1/8 oz. loads depending upon the stack height required.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts