Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know about your area, but over the last 5 years or so, the black legged, or deer, tick has been increasing wildly here in NW PA. I have hunted one woodcock cover for 20+ years, and I got more ticks off my English setter today than all the rest of the time combined. These are the little tiny ones that carry Lyme disease. The chances of catching it are very real here. I shoot with one guy who has had it twice, and two more that have had it once. Nasty stuff. Antibiotics and stool softener will be your friend.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Agreed. I'm from Beaver County and hunt a lot in Crawford and Erie Counties. We have been finding multiple ticks after every hunt. If you do not have a "tick key" from Cabelas, they are great. AJ.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I live in Central Ky. and we are at war with ticks. If you are in an area that has deer or turkey you need to worry about ticks. Sawyers clothing treatment works.

·
Registered
463 Posts
They are bad here in Western NY too. Just yesterday, my hunting buddy found two crawling on his hand. A couple of deer we got early last season had ticks on them. We need a couple good hard winters to thin them out.

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
Lyme disease is not your only worry. Those ticks can carry close to a dozen
other diseases, some worse than Lyme. When I get a tick bite I start taking
doxycycline right away, to prevent getting sick. HMB

·
Registered
92 Posts
Really bad in Northern WI - pulled 50 off of the dog after a 6 hr grouse and woodcock march thru the aspens.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I use" Frontline" on my dog. Make sure you apply it before you go into the woods and reapply every month. I have not had any problem's now that I use this stuff

·
Premium Member
8,015 Posts
Let's send them on a month vacation to Washington DC. Pests for pest, the gift that keeps on giving. Seems appropos, since they are a plague in our lives.

Aloha

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
A female tick lays between 2000 and 18000 eggs. Things are going to get worse
before they get better. HMB

·
Registered
124 Posts
We had an explosion if ticks here in central Pa about the time the season opened, never saw it this bad. As for Lyme, I had it rear its ugly head over the summer. Caught it early, 6 weeks and Doxy and all is well..... I hope.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Hunting pheasants this past Tuesday near Pittsburgh Pa. found 2 ticks embedded In may skin. Called my doctor in the am he put me on Droxy for 2 weeks. 40 years of hunting this is the first time I found ticks embedded in my skin.

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
Still 65 - 70 degrees in Wisconsin. Pretty warm when you close the windows at 9:00 p.m. on November 5th. Never have had to do that before. No heat and it was 76 degrees in my house yesterday at 2:00 p.m. Waring a long sleeve T-shirt and pants yesterday in the stand, and I was to warm. Still swatting mosquitoes.

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Was out a lot this year, turkey hunting, mowing, dove hunting, etc, did not see the first tick this year.
No idea why, this is in central KY.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Arrived in West Virginia for deer season Thursday, removed my first embedded tick today. Thought I left those little f*****s in Pa.

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
Finally a 30 degree drop in 4 hours. I think this may be it. the Cooling trend is here I think until February. Time to close the windows. Just in time for opening morning tomorrow.

I remember back 30 years ago opening morning being 15 to 20 degrees below zero. The trees would be snapping from the freeze expansion. 37 for a high tomorrow after reaching 67 today. Should slow the ticks down, and the mosquitoes, finally!

·
Registered
544 Posts
I got Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever a few years ago after my doctor told me you couldn't get it here on two office visits(Southern Illinois). He finally relented and sent in the blood test. Got called and interviewed by the CDC a couple of times and I asked them about it. They said you can get it anywhere as ticks will ride around in firewood, vehicles, animals, etc. Knocked me on my butt for months and the increase in joint pain above my normal aging not gone away 4 years hence.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I remember back 30 years ago opening morning being 15 to 20 degrees below zero. The trees would be snapping from the freeze expansion. 37 for a high tomorrow after reaching 67 today. Should slow the ticks down, and the mosquitoes, finally!
Same here. I can remember opening day here in northern Minnesota on the first Saturday of November 30 years ago and it was 10 below zero and eight inches of snow. This year on the 5th of November opener it was 71 degrees in the afternoon.

Deep Woods Off is your friend. The ticks are bad everywhere. It needs to get really cold for relief from the little monsters. But the problem is if it warms up the little monsters unthaw and come back at you.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yea man ticks suck. Went fishing and must of stepped on a nest or something, I had them crawling all over me. Must have been 20 or more I had all over my legs. I like hunting the winter better cause they aren't around, but you can't fish winter time

1 - 20 of 51 Posts