Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Still working on organizing my image files after the PictureTrail disaster.

Richard Faulds has a classic and elegant mount, with his thumb about 2 "thumb lengths" from his nose

Mrs. Faulds equally elegant

But obviously not everyone - OUCH!

Interesting these "fairly accomplished" ladies have a big gap between nose & thumb

So, once again, we must each find what works for us, and stifle the need to tell another shooter they are "doing it wrong"

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Clearly "crawling the stock" and thumb touching nose appear to go together

Cory Cogdell-Unrein

Reactions: jdubya

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
This is great too see. Every now and again I accidently shoulder the gun in the "wrong spot" and recoil seems non existent and the bird smokes. Makes you wonder if a differant shouldering or LOP would make you a better trapshooter?

·
Registered
14,330 Posts
My theory has always been it doesn't matter how bad your equipment is, how bad your technique is, how bad your gunfit is, as long as you shoot enough targets to compensate for it. You can have perfect technique, perfect gun fit, and shoot X number of targets, or have terrible everything and shoot 100 or 1000x targets and get to the same point. I figure you could likely shoot consistent 100 straights from the hip if you really wanted to, you'd just need to shoot a LOT of targets to learn how to do it.

Many international clay target shooters, at least on paper, prove that point to a tee, if you didn't know who they were and just watched them shoot a couple shots you wouldn't think they could hit their ass with both hands.

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
There're no right or wrong how people break targets, that's why I never gave advice to new shooters to shoot my style. I'll let them figure out if my style works fro them.

Regardless how they mount their guns, no one shoot with straight neck.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I have to think in my case anyway if I shouldn't be working on the cheek mount. Finding a pattern board around my parts is hard guess I need to make one and go into the woods somewhere and have a day of it.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I looked through all the pics to compare the cheek enforcement to the comb! What a variety.

Hmmm. I see the opposite. I see the ONE thing that every one of those world class shooters has in common is a firm cheek weld ... I wonder how many suffer from "cheek slap?" The least amount appears to be with Faulds and Rhode, two who start with a low gun. I've learned from shooting trap for 10 years that I might have benefited if I'd known enough to incorporate better cheek weld when I shot sporting and FITASC the 25 years prior.

·
Premium Member
1,937 Posts
Outstanding post! Guess there is no set rule except to make sure the mount allows you to shoot where you are looking and to look where you are shooting!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts