Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I'm bored, and have A.D.D. I thought I'd codger up a practice tool. I have SO MUCH to learn!

Gil Ash, in his excellent videos recommended using a small flashlight, fit into the barrel end, to "shoot" the room-lines and valleys around the house. It should give good practice in mounting the gun; attaining the target, and following the "bird" around the room.

I have a Mini-Mag lite here, but, since I am shooting a 20 gauge, it was too fat to fit. (sounds like me). I have a number of empty 20 gauge shells around for another project (more on that on another post).

I bought a small Laser pointer from the local pet store. They sell them to cat owners to be used to drive the cat to distraction, or at least, up the wall. $5.00 or so.

After wrapping some electrical tape around the laser pointer, it fit snugly into the empty 20 gauge shell. A 12-gauge shell would simply require more wraps of the tape.

I "loaded" the Thru-Barrel-Laser tool into my O/U and spent the next fifteen minutes mounting; attaining the target (any corner of my den) and then, as suggested by the brilliant Mr. Ash, following the pointer's output around the edges of the room.

Now, I haven't perfected it yet, and I may just leave well enough alone. I do not get a perfect SPOT out, Rather, a small semi-circle is the output. Why, I haven't figured out as of yet.

However, the semi-circle is only off by a few inches from dead center. The mounting, attaining and following wasn't restricted as long as i simply made an adjustment to keep the barrel ahead of the spot. Kind of what I should be doing anyhow, I think. Pictures below.

If you decide to tinker, please posts your results here. regards, richg99

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Incidentally, the pointer that I bought had a "push to light" type of switch. I believe that would be called a Momentary Contact type of switch.

I found that, when I wrapped the tape correctly around the light, and fit it into the shell casing, that the light did NOT come on.......UNTIL...I inserted the casing into the gun. Works well because as soon as I removed the shell from my gun, the light went out

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I didn't know there were so many professional options out there.

I still like to tinker, but I can see the advantage of something that is commercially built to do the job.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Tried a few different ones until I found one that when you can the rotate the pointer North, S, E and W, with the dot staying relatively centered like the one I use in my TM1 Perazzi at 35 yards. This has saved me hours of shooting at paper and shells when designing and building so many different ribs. But I still pattern om paper to fine tune.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Tron is correct about point of inpact,a fellow shooter had a 12ga.laser and tried to figure out where his gun was shooting by the laser and it did not work at all.I tried to tell him I wanted to know where the barrel is shooting not where the chamber is pointing.

·
Banned
684 Posts
Well Scuse richg99 for posting,in reality it should help with muscle memory in tracking a target. We all know what ever works for one there is no way it could be helpful to anyone else. GEEZ !!!!

·
Registered
206 Posts
People don’t understand, shotgun barrels are not always straight tubes, like most rifle and pistol barrels are.
True enough. I wanted to see where my barrel was aimed so I put the barrel in my gun vise, took the primers out of a 12ga and a 20ga, put the 12 in the back and the 20 in the front and sighted on a light 135 yards down range. When I had the barrel “peep sight” centered on the light I checked my rib/bead alignment and I was good to go. Close enough government work.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Well Scuse richg99 for posting,in reality it should help with muscle memory in tracking a target. We all know what ever works for one there is no way it could be helpful to anyone else. GEEZ !!!!
kind of like a cat chasing a laser?

·
Registered
547 Posts
rookieshooter. do you happen to have a LINK to the one that you bought?
Google Sightmark boresighter
I'm impressed with your determination. It may work fine for following ceiling and door jambs. Also when you start adjusting POI.
Don't listen to anyone that makes a blanket remark that it won't work or it will work for YOU.
Good Luck

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks, guys. I didn't realize that there were so many commercial devices out there. I'm an inveterate tinkerer and will take something apart or build something just because I am bored.

I understand the POI issue, though I have yet to pattern my little gun.

Somehow, Patterning has been a subject of much comment (many not complimentary) on another local fishing/shooting site here in TX. If, and when, the C virus leaves us, I WILL be patterning, regardless of the naysayers.

As Mr. Ash says about his flashlight program, it is more about mounting and moving then for specific target use. Thanks for the help and comments.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts