Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Any thoughts on this combo?

Seems to have everything I think I want - longer barrels, case hardened, briley choke tubes. I guess the single would be a plus. The lever is near 5 o'clock so that's also good.

I talked to the shop and they said overall it looks clean. The biggest drawback is that someone sanded down the comb pretty aggressively. I also asked Mr. Rackley and it said that it appeared to be a Type 3 from what he could see and that he can convert to Type 4 if needed. I didn't see any cracks on the fore-end.

I don't get to shoot as much as I'd like but when the ammo situation gets better, I'd like to get back into it. I'm looking for a shooter, for sure. This would be a pretty big purchase for me so I just wanted to see what some others though, who may know a little more about these. I was thinking maybe I can put a padded comb riser on for now, as needed. I have been keeping my eye out for the "$3k MX8" that everyone says are out there but I have not come across one yet.

· Registered
10,435 Posts
Nice looking gun, didn’t understand the comment on 3 trigger groups.
The type 3 is a draw back, would also want to know the chokes on the barrels.
The 32” o/u is a plus for many on resale.
I have a type 4 MX8 Special combo that I’ve had since 1994, Dan at Giacomo’s just went through it at the Grand.
I probably would keep looking for a type 4 with cold weather coming on for most of us you might find one.
Bottom line to me is this, your money, you earned it, you spend it on what you want to spend it on, good luck.

· Registered
3,168 Posts
Two of my friends have bought type 3 guns in the last year, Rackley worked on one, the other is stock as received buyer.
Both are very happy with them.
If you decide to go for another stock, they are not that hard to come by and show up here and on eBay all the time. I saw a couple at the Grand that were in the 4-5k range, but none with 3 triggers and Briley chokes.
A simple Meadow Industries Quick Stick soft comb would probably restore the stock to the correct height and you could go from there. Meadow Industries, LLC. - Since 1976 - Unique Gun Accessories for Trap, Skeet, Hunting and Sporting Clays

· Premium Member
8,257 Posts
Any thoughts on this combo?

Seems to have everything I think I want - longer barrels, case hardened, briley choke tubes. I guess the single would be a plus. The lever is near 5 o'clock so that's also good.

I talked to the shop and they said overall it looks clean. The biggest drawback is that someone sanded down the comb pretty aggressively. I also asked Mr. Rackley and it said that it appeared to be a Type 3 from what he could see and that he can convert to Type 4 if needed. I didn't see any cracks on the fore-end.

I don't get to shoot as much as I'd like but when the ammo situation gets better, I'd like to get back into it. I'm looking for a shooter, for sure. This would be a pretty big purchase for me so I just wanted to see what some others though, who may know a little more about these. I was thinking maybe I can put a padded comb riser on for now, as needed. I have been keeping my eye out for the "$3k MX8" that everyone says are out there but I have not come across one yet.
Three triggers make this gun worth the money provided the barrels aren't junked up.

Non selective trigger groups bring $500 and if you hold out, $600. Top singles will get you $1500 if you decide to get rid of it (I'd never sell off the o/u barrels).

I would not concern myself that it's a type 3 unless Don Rackley over_rules me.

· Registered
898 Posts
I carefully looked this gun over just a few weeks ago. I think it's good value "for the money". Jaqua's knows what guns are worth, so while you are not getting robbed, you are also not stealing the thing. I think the comb is a non-issue. Yes, it's been sanded, but just send it out to Tron for an adjustable comb. The gun has been WELL LOVED and has seen more than a few shells....
Paul

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the thoughts all. Something desirable about these older Perazzi's and from what I hear, they are hopefully something I can hand down. I just don't know enough about them and especially without being able to see it in person, I just was hoping for some additional input. Although I think if one of those Guns Unlimited Browning 725 combo's came in its place I'd probably be just as happy.

I had read that the stocks are pretty easily replaceable, so that's a plus.

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

· Registered
8,714 Posts
The "concerns" over type III is very over rated. And its toward your advantage (in price).
Shooting Perazzi for more than 30 years with over a dozen or so in the safes, I'd buy another type III (or type II) in good shape any day of the week.

There's only one possible "issue" consider type III vs type IV is it might crack its FE wood. In this case, the gun has been shot for years and if it didn't crack, you'll have a very good chance it won't if you don't let the screw got loose.

In the event the FE wood started to crack, nothing will fall apart, and it's a very easy and inexpensive fix. No more than couple hundred dollars if you want it to look nice.

As hbar314 stated, this is the $3000 MX8 you're looking for factor in the extra barrel and extra triggers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.