Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was given this load by a Trap Shooter at the local club. I cannot find it on any load data website or book. Just wondering if this sounds safe to shoot:

Winchester AA Hull (Red & Grey HS)
Winchester 209 Primer
19.3 grains 700x
DownRange XL1 Wad (1 oz)
1 oz. #8 lead shot

·
Registered
18,711 Posts
I was given this load by a Trap Shooter at the local club. I cannot find it on any load data website or book. Just wondering if this sounds safe to shoot:

Winchester 209 Primer
19.3 grains 700x
DownRange XL1 Wad (1 oz)
1 oz. #8 lead shot
I wouldn't go over 18gn with that wad. It specs as a replacement for the WAA12SL wad.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I agree with flashmax, unless the Trap shooter can also give you the test pressure data that shows it is below 11,500 psi.

18.0 gr of 700X is the fastest load listed for Win AA hull, Win 209, 1 oz and the WAA12SL load gives 1250 f/s @ 10,100 psi.

Jason

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
gonna kick like a big mule, no need for that much 700x unless you enjoy ass kicking recoil, 17.5 grains is more than plenty, id bet those would crono over 1300fps or more, and lots of pressure, if its not published dont use it

·
Registered
149 Posts
17.5 in 1 1/8 oz. gives you 1200. In a 1 oz. you are over that. Prolly 1235 and the pressures are reasonable. 19.3 is just crazy. Keep the abuse to a minimum, you will be better off for it. 16.5 for 1oz up close is more than enough...

·
Banned
1,775 Posts
The shooter who uses 19.3 gr. 700-X is probably using them in a Tri-Star, therefore, has no concern for personal safety due to extremely over engineered and high quality of materials used in it's build as well as it's well known virtue of having extremely low recoil. Can't recommend that load in an ordinary shotgun, i.e., Browning, Beretta, Perazzi, Krieghoff. LOL.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
like everyone else has said, the 19.3 grains of 700x sounds like a lot and is gonna beat you up on the line, i use 16 grains of 700x and my loads are 1150 feet per second, fast enough for trap from the 16

·
Trump2020
742 Posts
That load is not published by Hodgdon, I'd stay away from it. The heaviest load published for that combo is 18gr of 700x thats 1250fps and just over 10000psi. 19.3 grains would put the pressure into an unsafe range and probably 1300fps.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
When you watch that trap shooter who gave you that reload shoot it. Does it have a loud report and any flame out the muzzle?? Be careful of the reloads that other shooters give you. Personally I will only shoot reloads from a friend that I know. I will still take one of those reloads home and open it up just to see if they are truthful as to the load. I have found several surpisees, like way more powder than the person said was in the load to start with. Instead of shot I have found spent primers, not really what I want going down the barrel. Shooter Beware....... JMO

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
Recommend using published loads for powder being used. 700X is too fast for using over 18 gr. in target loadings. There are too many people using too much powder for target loads so always verify reloading recommendations.

·
Registered
791 Posts
You're being given good advice here.
Run from the guy with his 19.3 gr of 700x.
Stick to the manufacturer's data. It's published for a reason, to keep us safe.
Also for velocity, as has been stated, about 1150 is plenty fast for 16 and first shot of doubles.
1200 or so for handicap/second in doubles works for me in 1 1/16 oz. Just seems to load well for me. 1 oz would be fine, but I like using the PW 5.5 bushing with windjammer wads.
George

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to all that replied. I did ask the fellow to look at his load data books and make sure he did see 19.3 grains 700x. I'm new to the shotshell side of reloading and I could not find any data that shows 19,3. So, I followed Hodgdon's guide and loaded the following:
17 gr. 700x
AA HS Hull
W209 primer
CB-1100-12 wad
1 oz. #8 shot

Went to shoot a couple of boxes and all went well. Thanks again for all the replies.
I have some TGT12 wads coming and I want to try them as well.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Thanks to all that replied. I did ask the fellow to look at his load data books and make sure he did see 19.3 grains 700x. I'm new to the shotshell side of reloading and I could not find any data that shows 19,3. So, I followed Hodgdon's guide and loaded the following:
17 gr. 700x
AA HS Hull
W209 primer
CB-1100-12 wad
1 oz. #8 shot

Went to shoot a couple of boxes and all went well. Thanks again for all the replies.
I have some TGT12 wads coming and I want to try them as well.
The old gent that told you the 19.3 gr load was most likely referencing data from pre Hodgdon ownership when DuPont/IMR owned the powder name. The data sheets called for more powder per given assembly. I suspect shooters for decades were shooting hotter loads than printed data indicated. The gent at your club probably never updated.

·
Premium Member
7,039 Posts
Hodgdon
Powder 700-X
Primer Rem. 209P
Wad CB 1100-12
Maximum Load
Grains 19.5
Pressure 7,000 PSI
Velocity (ft/s) 1,250
The above load and it's "specific components" is from Hodgdon's website

Eddie

Put a bead on shotgun reloading data | Hodgdon Reloading
Ed,
The only thing that's the same in that load is the fricking powder!

Winchester 209 Primer
19.3 grains 700x
DownRange XL1 Wad (1 oz)
1 oz. #8 lead shot

The Wad & Primer are not!

Here is the load from Hodgdons website that replicates the proper loading data for the OP's
components!
STOP being a chemist!

Hodgdon
1oz - Shot
18.0 -700-X
Win. 209
WAA12SL which is a direct replacement for the XL1 the OP is using

1250 FPS - 10,100 PSI

THIS IS THE MAX LOAD LISTED IN HODGDON'S RELOADING DATA FOR THESE COMPONENTS!

MG

·
Registered
533 Posts
Get 1 oz loads down to 1150, a little lead in the stock, and you have a very comfy singles load, speed and recoil is for the kids. Then a caps load 1145 with slow burn powder like green dot. Like to keep pressure at 9000 or little more for complete burn.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Hodgdon
Powder 700-X
Winchester AA Hull
Primer Rem. 209P
Wad WAA12SL
Maximum Load
1 oz #8's
Grains 19.0
Pressure 8,000 PSI
Velocity (ft/s) 1,250

Hodgdon
Powder 700-X
Primer Rem. 209P
Remington STS hull

Wad CB 1100-12
Maximum Load
1 oz #8's
Grains 19.5
Pressure 7,000 PSI
Velocity (ft/s) 1,250

mg1polo, Both of the above loads from Hodgdon's web site have one ounce loads at 1250 fps
with modest pressures. The key to safe loads using that much 700x powder is using the exact components prescribed.
As stated on the web site Both are Maximum loads

Hodgdon Reloading | Home

Eddie

1 - 20 of 22 Posts