Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Premium Member
Browning Bt-100 34" & 325 32" O/U cut/fitted for Trap Doubles
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to gather some first hand feedback from those that use or used a precision fit stock for your Trap Gun. I am back to shooting after a 12 year absence (thanks to my former employer for that) and as I am now retired I have gone all in. I shoot a Bt-100 with a gracoil and pull trigger for years, but these last 6-8 weeks (about 700 targets) my scores are pretty awful and a big part of this is I am not mounting/anchoring the gun to my shoulder with any consistency. Therefore everything else is off. Today I took a 73 on singles and 74 on caps. I have a date with the patterning board for sure but...

Bob Shultz was at the shoot and I spoke with him briefly about ways to get better mounting and anchoring and we spoke about his company precision fit. Bob was a dealer forever before buying out the original founder and he has always used them on his own guns but they are a large cost commitment at $1300 - $2000 so I wanted to ask the members their thoughts. To be fair Bob didn't know offhand if they have the Bt-100 in their database as Browning only offered it for a few years before going back to the BT-99 series but he is going to check on it and I figured I should do some research as this mod would be worth about 1/2 the value of my gun. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and feedback.

· Registered
294 Posts
Unless they recently added the grip for the BT100 they don't have a fit for your gun. I have 2 that I use now and like them mainly for the myriad ways to adjust your stock fit. The recoil reduction is not
much better than a Gracoil.

· Premium Member
1,788 Posts
In my opinion PFS is worth every penny. However, your problem may be fixed with something as simple as a recoil pad. Very inexpensive experiment to try before plopping down the $ for the PFS. I use Pachmayr D550 curved recoil pads on my guns (with PFS) and find they give a very consistent mount and lock in to your shoulder pocket so their is no moving. Other thing to play with since you're playing with the recoil pad is the pitch of the pad. Simple washers under the pad by the appropriate screw will change the angle of the pitch and you'll be surprised how a little adjustment can make a difference. You can later find an appropriate pitch spacer to grind everything if that works out for you. One last suggestion; practice your gun mount at home. Repetition. Repetition. Build that muscle memory. Good luck and good shooting, Rey

· Registered
680 Posts
In my opinion PFS is worth every penny. However, your problem may be fixed with something as simple as a recoil pad. Very inexpensive experiment to try before plopping down the $ for the PFS. I use Pachmayr D550 curved recoil pads on my guns (with PFS) and find they give a very consistent mount and lock in to your shoulder pocket so their is no moving. Other thing to play with since you're playing with the recoil pad is the pitch of the pad. Simple washers under the pad by the appropriate screw will change the angle of the pitch and you'll be surprised how a little adjustment can make a difference. You can later find an appropriate pitch spacer to grind everything if that works out for you. One last suggestion; practice your gun mount at home. Repetition. Repetition. Build that muscle memory. Good luck and good shooting, Rey
In addition to these suggestions you can add a little toe out to your pad by removing the bottom screw of the pad and then swinging it out about 1/4" and screwing it back down. Obviously you'll have to make a new screw hole, but no harm done with a little care.

· Registered
587 Posts
I might add this. I had a custom stock made for my Kolar when I got it. Shot it really well until I lost weight. Then it no longer fit me and I paid the price. The gun was hurting me and I developed a flinch and was at the point I nearly quit shooting. I shot a buddies K-80 with a PFS I was combing the web sites the next day looking for a used one that would fit my Kolar. I had a stock fitter help me adjust it and had to go back a couple more times to tune it. It also took several months to recover from my flinching, but money well spent. Is it ugly? Like a mud fence. But I'm shooting again and enjoying it.

· Banned
36 Posts
My bride and I have been shooting PFS on our 682 Gold Es for 6 years. I am in the process of getting a Fabarm’s Axis RS12 2-barrel Trap set and it will also have a PFS installed. The unique ability to infinitely adjust it to fit your physical shape as it changes over time from things such as weight gain/loss at no additional monetary cost is a good thing. The recoil reduction is adjustable, and we both elected to adjust towards the stiffer end rather than the softer end of the range. We used some stock fitting dimensions from previous guns and set them up initially and then fine-tuned them over a couple of weeks of shooting when new. Haven't needed to adjust them in 6 years.

If you can find a good buy on a used one, you can buy just the adapter for your gun from Bob and then put the rest of the used one on your adapter. This may save you a few dollars. The adapter for my new Fabarm’s is $580 and I'll use the rest of the PFS from the 682 on that Fabarm’s adapter.

I'm in a tax bracket that allows me to be comfortable with buying gun equipment in the under $10k range. The aesthetics of guns in that grouping are nice with some occasional really nice-looking guns. But in the end, the gun is essentially just a tool and I prefer a tool that is best suited to the job at hand. I find the modification of adding the PFS to the gun to give me the best tool to maximize my performance an acceptable trade off of reduced aesthetics. The PFS is not cheap. It is a worthwhile investment if your goal is to be a serious competitor in any clay target games.

· Registered
1,087 Posts
I think they work very good. However, for my hands / grip, the bottom edge of the pistol grip cuts into my hand. I was told that it was essentially a direct match to the grip on my wood stock, but something is different. I also got some wobble out ot the unit. It was very little , but it annoyed me.

I too agree with the comment to go to a good gunfitter. Even with all the adjustment offerred by the PFS, you can chase your tail forever if you try to fit it yourself. An adjustable comb, and pad will get you there. If your gracoil doesn't have lop and an adjuster, I do believe they offer that.

The Country Gentleman, Todd Nelson, fit my gun for a very reasonable cost. It was the best money i ever spent on shotgunning.

· Registered
94 Posts
Just wanted to gather some first hand feedback from those that use or used a precision fit stock for your Trap Gun. I am back to shooting after a 12 year absence (thanks to my former employer for that) and as I am now retired I have gone all in. I shoot a Bt-100 with a gracoil and pull trigger for years, but these last 6-8 weeks (about 700 targets) my scores are pretty awful and a big part of this is I am not mounting/anchoring the gun to my shoulder with any consistency. Therefore everything else is off. Today I took a 73 on singles and 74 on caps. I have a date with the patterning board for sure but...

Bob Shultz was at the shoot and I spoke with him briefly about ways to get better mounting and anchoring and we spoke about his company precision fit. Bob was a dealer forever before buying out the original founder and he has always used them on his own guns but they are a large cost commitment at $1300 - $2000 so I wanted to ask the members their thoughts. To be fair Bob didn't know offhand if they have the Bt-100 in their database as Browning only offered it for a few years before going back to the BT-99 series but he is going to check on it and I figured I should do some research as this mod would be worth about 1/2 the value of my gun. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and feedback.
No better tool for making a gun fit.

· Registered
2,393 Posts
I really like mine. I set it up at home and have made only a couple very minor adjustments to the comb to make it fit better. No more fighting the gun to get it to feel right and no more sore cheek or shoulder because of fit issues or recoil.

Well worth the money.

· Premium Member
4,844 Posts
Shooting buddy used one of these for a couple of seasons. Seems if you require a long length of pull with the mounting rods extended, theres too much stress or flex where the threads are cut on the main rod that threads into the stock as they would fatigue & break there. It was a pain in the butt to have to drill & easy out the snapped portion of the rod out of the stock, over time this happened twice. I believe precision replaced the rods under warranty. My pals plan was to use the precision fit unit to determine what dimensions would work best & then have them copied to a wood blank. After the second break he gave up on the idea & found a conventional stock fitter. Personally for recoil reduction I use the Isis system which has been working very well for me.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.